"Michael", a biopic about Michael Jackson, is officially happening.

Lol nobody is sitting through 4 hours. A lot of negative comments below the articles. Can’t see this as being a good thing. Hope I’m wrong.
8 comments is not "a lot". But those are people that comment on Deadline articles so I wouldn't trust them as being on the pulse of popular culture.

8 comments is not "a lot". But those are people that comment on Deadline articles so I wouldn't trust them as being on the pulse of popular culture.
I wish you were right. The internet is a big world Search around there is more than 8.

I definitely understand the concern about the biopic. I have some real fears about how they will pull it off length wise, about how Michael will be portrayed, who will play him, etc. However, right now, I'm feeling very positive about it. The production company, producer, screenwriter, and director are all acclaimed, with many awards, Oscar buzz, and a pretty strong variety of projects under their respective belts. There is clearly effort being made to create a quality film. That's all we can ask for at this moment.

I know there had been a lot of concern about the musical. I wasn't in the fan community at that time, but I have read enough back pages about it to know. But the musical is a sensation. I've seen it twice. It's won four Tony's, it sells out regularly, it's getting a national tour and going overseas next year. All the fears and negativity (though justified) weren't needed because things turned out for the best. While the musical is certainly a smaller project in scope and reach, it's also a good measure for how successful this biopic will be.

I think this biopic is going to be huge. If all hardcore MJ fans see it, it will do great. If casual fans go, it will be massive. If the general public jumps on board (which they will), it will explode. I'm hoping for a 2024 release, with 2023 seeing multiple big projects, including some documentaries coming out, that will continue the upward trend for MJ in the eyes of the general public.

For now, I'm setting aside all of my concerns about story/script/actor and am just going to project as much positivity toward this project as possible. It could be a game changer.

Ignore the negativity. MJ has trended on TikTok multiple times over the past year. Thriller 40 sold extraordinarily well given the circumstances. He is still beloved. The hate will flow regardless. Just enjoy the ride (as much as we can).
Yeah, I've learned that there's just always gonna be people that are negative or have an axe to grind. As you said it's pretty clear what the public think.

I am not sure you can cover Michael's entire life in one biopic. I think they should have focused on a specific time period, instead of Michael's whole life. It will be extremely difficult to cram in everything that happened in Michael's life in a two hours biopic. They are going to leave out parts of Michael's life and career, which would make certain fans unhappy.

Ignore the negativity. MJ has trended on TikTok multiple times over the past year. Thriller 40 sold extraordinarily well given the circumstances. He is still beloved. The hate will flow regardless. Just enjoy the ride (as much as we can).
MJ trends everyday. The hecklers belong in their own squalor. They just love the flow of negativity to line their own pockets or amuse themselves. It's very rarely out of concern for the actual care/harm of children or anything deep, which is its own topic. Even most critics still play MJ's music, "separating the art from the artist". So they should grapple with those things alone and let us enjoy ourselves, our conscience is clean.

I have no experience of the industry people involved... One of my hopes is that it makes a central part of the story how Michael was taken advantage of in each stage of his career, but how his great and authentic trust in the power that put him into motion made him a compulsory force of worldwide culture, even in the last part of his life and beyond.

I would tell the story of his life as the art of how using music and magic from good purposes can build faith and trust in the shared human potential, building new cultural bridges across societies. It seems to me both his greatest message and what triggers the cynics of the world to try to bring him down, or use him to turn people against one another.

The power of the MJ musical has also been in bringing people together. We’ll see how this film builds on that great thread.

I never heard of Antoine Fuqua which troubles me because I have watched too many movies in my life.

I hope the box office numbers will match Bohemian Rhapsody but that looks like almost impossible. It made 900 million dollars worldwide that is truly unbelievably huge. More realistically numbers of about 400 million seem about right.

Last edited:
Have concerns about them trying to cover so much in one film if I'm honest. Especially the allegations.
Same. You almost need two movies to tell his story right.

Not familiar with Fuqua's work but here's hoping he and everyone else can pull it off. I'm keeping my expectations pretty low.

Michael Jackson Biopic Taps Antoine Fuqua to Direct​

Jackson estate-approved project will begin production this year

Michael Jackson Film in the Works at Lionsgate​

The film, titled Michael, will take on the King of Pop's life and career.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/michael-jackson-biopic-lionsgate-announced-1296360/

It's officially sanctioned by the estate & the Jackson family, and it's going to be co-produced by Graham King (AKA the producer of Bohemian Rhapsody who secured the rights to make an MJ biopic several months ago) and it's gonna be distributed by Lionsgate.

Also, Graham King is a fan who mentions that he's done his own research about the allegations and believes that he was innocent. So we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Personally, I don't think that a single 2-hour movie is enough to do justice to Michael's career, and I'd rather see the Estate focus on a project that helps vindicate MJ's innocence (e.g. Taj's upcoming Kickstarter documentary series). However, if this movie is done well and is able to improve the general public's perception of Michael in a more positive way, than it's a win-win situation.

What are your thoughts, everyone?

Did they say it was only going to be 2-hours? It could be 3.

I can’t wait for Michael getting all the attention again. People will be talking about this film, the media will write about it late 2024 or maybe 2025 is going to be huge for us. It will be an event, marketing will be through the roof. The very last time Michael will be in the spotlights like in his great days, a final triumph for the king.
We are all anxious how it will turn out and what the press will write but we have to enjoy this final moment of probably mass attention. This is it.

i read about this already like 1 or 2 years ago.. it said that the makers of "Bohemian Rhapsody" movie will do a MJ movie..
The director was first announced yesterday. Graham King is producing not directing.

here is a german article about that from feb 2022..

Hmm can an 'action' film director really make a critically acclaimed serious film?

This is where the script will be crucial to getting it right.

He does have experience with directing music videos too which will be a bonus.

Noticed he has worked with Denzel quite a lot, wonder if he will get him to play Joe? 😂

I never heard of Antoine Fuqua which troubles me because I have watched too many movies in my life.

I hope the box office numbers will match Bohemian Rhapsody but that looks like almost impossible. It made 900 million dollars worldwide that is truly unbelievably huge. More realistically numbers of about 400 million seem about right.
Training Day?

Back