Michael and his family. Part I. Janet's influence on Michael Jackson's art

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
I was wrong... I was wrong about Janet and her releationship with Michael...I always thought, that Janet wanted to be like her brother, that she was trying to copy his style, that she was trying to repeat after him, envying him everytime...But that wasn't true. Recently I watched this video, and discovered that actually it is MJ, who was using his sister's tricks and learning from her! I always thought, that Black Panther style was MJ's idea, but it's not! It's Janet's! And this move from Speed Demon is Janet's thing too! It appears that Janet and Mike was actually in very good sis/bro releationship, developing each other in music industry and helping each other with cool ideas. From that point, it's such a shame that we got only one song, made by this duet. You know, for normal people, Scream is a provocative, aggresive videoclip, that says about mass media unnecessary presure on people like MJ, but for me this is the cutest Michael's video, that shows really cute chemistry between brother and his younger sister, while they're dancing together like they are bond inside their musical vision:D

Btw, now I wonder are there any other songs, where MJ used his sister's sampled voice/music?

Janet Jackson was also not jealous of the success of Michael Jackson.

And Michael Jackson was not jealous of the success of Janet Jackson.

Also, 'We've Had Enough' was originally meant as a duet between Michael Jackson and Janet Jackson in the early '00s (the theme of the song was about how media/press treated the Jackson family over the years).

It has been also written that had it not been for the 'Rhythm Nation 1814' album, the 'Dangerous' album would have never existed.

It is worth noting that Michael Jackson (before 'Scream') had already suggested that they should record (and release) a duet in 1990-1991, but Janet Jackson refused because she did not want people think that she was trying to ride on his coattails.

The recording session for Janet's song Don't Stand Another Chance which was produced & co-written by Marlon. It was released on her 2nd album Dream Street (1984)
b353dca73ccbdc8fb4a34194791d52680e107799.jpg

0bb67cac61069a7508ce5c9e3cf9d5a137404369.jpg

ba49047eb3e2ff0e31840870b7af630cd05eba70.jpg

f37c702de60abfc1ef5a639a92a7ea9e53f3cddb.jpg

04455accd3058f04e80b36b46637a199aa20ff62.jpg

Eddie Murphy ~ Yeah (1992)
piano: Herbie Hancock
bass: Stanley Clarke
harmonica: Stevie Wonder
drum programming: David Allen Jones, Trenton Gumbs

vocals: Babyface, Sandi Barber, Jon Bon Jovi, Garth Brooks, En Vogue, Johnny Gill, Amy Grant, Aaron Hall, MC Hammer, Heavy D, Howard Hewitt, Julio Iglesias, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Patti LaBelle, Emmanuel Lewis, Paul McCartney, Eddie Murphy, Teddy Pendergrass, Richie Sambora, Luther Vandross, Audrey Wheeler, Barry White, Stevie Wonder

The Jacksons ~ 2300 Jackson Street (1989)
All of the siblings except LaToya (& Joh'Vonnie lol) are on this track. Marlon sings on it but does not appear in the music video. It was produced by Teddy Riley, who also produced another song on the same album called She.

Eddie Murphy ~ Yeah (1992)
piano: Herbie Hancock
bass: Stanley Clarke
harmonica: Stevie Wonder
drum programming: David Allen Jones, Trenton Gumbs

vocals: Babyface, Sandi Barber, Jon Bon Jovi, Garth Brooks, En Vogue, Johnny Gill, Amy Grant, Aaron Hall, MC Hammer, Heavy D, Howard Hewitt, Julio Iglesias, Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Elton John, Patti LaBelle, Emmanuel Lewis, Paul McCartney, Eddie Murphy, Teddy Pendergrass, Richie Sambora, Luther Vandross, Audrey Wheeler, Barry White, Stevie Wonder
Another MJ feature? Fascinating.

they admired each other as artists, and borrowed from each other. Janet started it first though.

her ‘funny how time flies (when you’re having fun)’ can be seen as an interpolation of michael’s ‘the lady in my life’ - even down to the ad-libs. in fact, dj’s used to mix the songs into each other.
I couldn’t find an original, but someone on YouTube made this.
also, during the dance break in the middle of Janet’s ‘control’ video, she executes michael’s trademark corkscrew kick- turn-and-pose combination.

she would also use the corkscrew kick in ‘escapade’.
there’s also the vocal percussive sound effects in ‘when I think of you’, that are reminiscent of what Michael did on ‘working day and night’ (which Janet played on the demo)
Michael already wore knee pads on the ‘triumph’ tour before Janet did in ‘the pleasure principle’.
there are countless other examples. they literally grew up together in the same household/family, so they were bound to rub off on each other. I think they’re both unique and talented in their own right 💜

Back