#1 I just cant stop loving you
#1 Bad
#1 The way you make me feel
#1 Man in the mirror
#1 Dirty Diana
#1 Black or white
#1 You are not alone

Notes:

If you minus the group efforts then yes MJ only has 13 number one hits, however the Beatles were a group and their 20 number ones still count so I guess we should include J5 number ones. Making 17 number ones for MJ..

Many wont count We are the world but as MJ was so instrumental in the entire song especially as he had already conceived the vocals on a solo version (see demo the ultimate collection) I think it is safe to say that this is as an MJ number one…..GIVING US A GRAND TOTAL OF 18 number ones…….same as miss Mariah Carey………so there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However even though I am a die hard MJ fan for life I have to admit without any doubt in my mind, Mariah is the queen of the Billboard charts…her 18 number ones have come since 1990..ie only 18 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that time MJ has only had two number ones…..

I accept that MJ hasn’t released as many albums or singles as Mariah etc in the last 18 years….but SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s not Mariah’s fault…..so lets give credit were credits due...!!!..

If you don’t produce work in a certain geographical area or PROMOTE IT ( ie invincible had so much potential its almost criminal that tracks like YRMW, Butterflies, Whatever happens were not released for sale instead only to radio…these tracks had number ones written all over them.. and lets not forget Earth song…why was that never released...dont get me started ….!!!) then expect your records or sales to be caught up…like Mariah has…..

What gets me is that if MJ or Sony had done their homework properly MJ would easily have surpasses the record held by the Beatles…”20 number ones”

Any way a further note….

This is the biggest year in the history of billboard charts for album releases. All the big sellers are making a return and some new hotter stars…. so by December the questions will be asked “who is the real king/queen” the following artists release their albums

Mariah Carey (biggest selling female artist of all time)
Madonna
Whitney Houston (returning after 10 years.. wow)
Celine Dion (one of the biggest selling female artist behind Mariah)
Usher (biggest 1st week album sales by a solo artist in billboard chart history over 1.5 million in first week of his last album confessions!!!!)
Neyo
Akon
Coldplay
Michael Jackson (King of pop..simple and true)

...and there are some others which i am forgetting right now....damn....

So who will win?…find out year end billboard….December 2008

I understand that to us fans these things don’t matter ..MJ will always be King and Thriller will never be surpassed …but my argument is from a consumer and purely sales point of view…2008/2009….

I don’t think MJ has a choice…..he has to kick ass….on billboard.....even if it is for one last time…..not for the fans…but to prove to the industry…and critics….just one last time…..

I wait in hope ..and faith…

Goodluck MJ

Back