Michael Jackson: On The Wall Exhibition GERMANY (22 March 2019)

Here's another visual overview of the exhibition but showing a few different images. 2m 4s.

Last edited:

Member of staff at the National Portrait Gallery, London offers a review of the official exhibition catalogue and shows a few key pages from it. At 2m she shows the page with the photo of 16 German fans who sang their way through the entire Thriller album. I haven't checked this out yet but I'm assuming that piece would have been a video installation.

4m 44s.

Last edited:
Last edited:

The official introduction to the exhibition from the Director of the National Portrait Gallery, London. 2m 4s.

The exhibition was a major event which ran for 18 months from June 2018 to January 2020.
London / June - Oct 2018 / visitor numbers - 82, 000
Paris / Nov 2018 - Feb 2019 / visitor numbers - 156, 000
Bonn / March - July 2019 / visitor numbers - 22, 000
Espoo, Finland / Aug 2019 - January 2020 / visitor numbers - 88, 000
(all figures quoted are approx.)

Bonn and Espoo were caught up in the noise around the tv programme. I believe that the exhibition ran for longer in Germany than it did elsewhere. Promotion for the Bonn exhibition was reportedly subdued so that might account for the low visitor numbers. The numbers for Espoo are encouraging. Apparently, the museum enjoyed one of their biggest exhibitions re visitor numbers. Another exhibition which did much better ran for longer.

The Paris exhibition was significantly different than the original London version. I've seen a somewhat unenthusiastic review of it. Not regarding the content so much as the curation, presentation and general shortcomings of the way the gallery handled the exhibition. The Paris exhibition included a piece by Jeff Koons.

Haven't yet read review of the German version.

The one video I can't find is one I saw a couple of years ago of people at the exhibition just enjoying it. It wasn't the vid of the private viewing. Haven't posted that one, it's dull. But the other one was fun and cute. But it's gone.

Last edited:
I visited the exhibition in Germany last week. They have several artworks that were not on display in London.

The best thing for me, however, was seeing a young boy of maybe 8 or 9 years old who was there with his father. He walked around the exhibition with an actual digital camera around his neck and photographed the Mark Ryden painting (Dangerous album cover). Just before they left the father turned to his son and asked if he was satisfied and if they could go now. The boy answered "super" and walked out of the exhibition beaming. That exchange just made my heart melt.

Next generation... Michael will have fans forever.
🥰

London Planner magazine listing 5 reasons for visiting the exhibition. Shows some pieces not seen in the other videos; also gives a better view of pieces already seen in previous vids.
2m 50s.

The official introduction to the exhibition from the Director of the National Portrait Gallery, London. 2m 4s.

The exhibition was a major event which ran for 18 months from June 2018 to January 2020.
London / June - Oct 2018 / visitor numbers - 82, 000
Paris / Nov 2018 - Feb 2019 / visitor numbers - 156, 000
Bonn / March - July 2019 / visitor numbers - 22, 000
Espoo, Finland / Aug 2019 - January 2020 / visitor numbers - 88, 000
(all figures quoted are approx.)

Bonn and Espoo were caught up in the noise around the tv programme. I believe that the exhibition ran for longer in Germany than it did elsewhere. Promotion for the Bonn exhibition was reportedly subdued so that might account for the low visitor numbers. The numbers for Espoo are encouraging. Apparently, the museum enjoyed one of their biggest exhibitions re visitor numbers. Another exhibition which did much better ran for longer.

The Paris exhibition was significantly different than the original London version. I've seen a somewhat unenthusiastic review of it. Not regarding the content so much as the curation, presentation and general shortcomings of the way the gallery handled the exhibition. The Paris exhibition included a piece by Jeff Koons.

Haven't yet read review of the German version.

The one video I can't find is one I saw a couple of years ago of people at the exhibition just enjoying it. It wasn't the vid of the private viewing. Haven't posted that one, it's dull. But the other one was fun and cute. But it's gone.
I visited the exhibition in Germany last week. They have several artworks that were not on display in London.

The best thing for me, however, was seeing a young boy of maybe 8 or 9 years old who was there with his father. He walked around the exhibition with an actual digital camera around his neck and photographed the Mark Ryden painting (Dangerous album cover). Just before they left the father turned to his son and asked if he was satisfied and if they could go now. The boy answered "super" and walked out of the exhibition beaming. That exchange just made my heart melt.

Next generation... Michael will have fans forever.
@bluemoon7 - did you get to see this exhibition when it was in Germany in 2019?

Last edited:
Back