Michael Jackson Scream - The Album

Re: #MJScream - Coming 29th September.

Leave Me Alone should have been replaced with Is It Scary ... - That would have made much more sense.. Is It Scary is a better song - and it fits the Halloween theme....

Hope this will do well and get more new MJ fans. I like the artwork. - AND if this help promote Ghosts - and maybe makes Ghosts released on Blu-Ray I will be very very happy.

It's starting to seem evident to me that the estate simply can't win.

This is a compilation album. Every posthumous artist comes out with them. But it's Halloween themed, which is almost synonymous with Michael Jackson music. On top of that, it's supplementing the animated special, which is an incredibly unique idea that's aimed at furthering Michael's brand to the next generation of music listeners. Who knows? If a single person picks up this album and gets bitten by the MJ bug, then it was a successful endeavor. Michael's current catalog will always be more successful than anything they were to release now (you wouldn't believe how long and often Number Ones has been on the charts), so of course they're going to exploit that.

And hey, the attached remix is actually fantastic. Not the same "contemporized" b.s. they've forced on us in the past; an honest-to-God mashup that sounds really, really good. That's already a step in the right direction.

Yes, I'm disappointed that there's no new music, but to call this project a "failure" simply because it doesn't have what we all wanted on it screams entitlement. The estate can't always cater to us.

Also as a graphic designer it bugs me that there is so much yellow in the cover. Even the "Michael Jackson" text is light yellow rather than white. Yellow blue and red clash for me whereas if they had made the moon etc more white/grey (desaturated) would look better. IMO. I know, I'm being picky.

I might get into photoshop and whip up a colour corrected one and give him a curl and some eyebrows lol

Okay I gotcha! Well, I'm gonna be honest I'm not thrilled or/and surprised about this. This is the estate & Sony after all and given their track record this is the type of release you can expect from them, they all after all in this business to make money but that doesn't mean that they are immune to criticism and rightfully so. I don't like the fact that they seem to be neglecting the old fan base. They should cater to the new generation but do it tastefully while managing to still reach out the the hardcore fanbase who has supported Michael and his career since day 1. I will try to keep an open mind about this.

I disagree that they are neglecting the old fan base. Almost every release has offered something to hardcore fans:

-This Is It: 2 hours of Michael Jackson rehearsals + hours of great special features on the home release
-This Is It CD: Unreleased song (2 mixes of it!) + a handful of unreleased demos + spoken poem by Michael
-Vision: All of his short films in one place + 1 unreleased/unfinished short film
-Michael: 6 new Michael Jackson songs
-Immortal: A new way to experience his music, some of these tracks offer unreleased material (i.e. TDCAU choir)
-Bad 25: 6 completely new songs, unreleased version of IJCSLY, god knows how much new footage on the Bad 25 doco, an unreleased concert on DVD...
-Xscape: 8 brand new songs. Sure a number of these were already leaked, but not every hardcore fan has heard them. We gained 9 new remixes through this, which essentially made the songs 'new' for me at least...
-OTW: A new doco which featured a some new footage.

As you can see just about every project has offered something worthwhile to hardcore fans of Michael. No way have they been neglecting the older fan base.

I think they should put out the announcement now, so that we know what's really in store for us.

If it is
- Thriller 3D 4k/HD, released as a 3D and 2D BluRay
- a good Halloween film, also released on BluRay
- an album accompanying the film

I'm satisfied. But we don't know for sure.

Also, major Ghosts screenings and a release on BluRay would be AWESOME, but that's just a rumour.
So, I'm hoping and waiting for the announcement. Because I find the artwork AMAZING and I hope this project proves to be something nice and interesting. :)

I'm surprised Smooth Criminal wasn't included. A song about a women being murdered could be considerd horror themed.

Just seems like a very well themed greatest hits package. Obviously not for the hardcore fans.

There's also one more announcement right? Branca said 2 more announcements in the coming weeks.

There are going to be screenings of Ghosts:

"Fans are invited to Official Michael Jackson SCREAM Album Celebrations this fall. These celebrations will take place in six major cities around the world: Paris, London, Sydney, Berlin, Los Angeles, and Tokyo. The events will include screenings of Michael’s seven short films from the SCREAM album including the full-length 40 minute Michael Jackson’s Ghosts, rarely seen following its initial screening at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival. An after party will follow. More information on the Official Michael Jackson SCREAM Album Celebrations will be announced in the coming days."
[/QUOTE]

OMG, they're going to do it in London?! I am there! Where did you hear this?

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE http://www.michaeljackson.com/news/michael-jackson-scream-album-set-release-september-29/

170906_mj_scream_cover.jpg

MICHAEL JACKSON SCREAM ALBUM SET FOR RELEASE ON SEPTEMBER 29 ON CD AND DIGITAL (AND ON OCTOBER 27 ON GLOW-IN-THE DARK VINYL)

NEW “BLOOD ON THE DANCE FLOOR X DANGEROUS” MASH-UP PREMIERES EXCLUSIVELY VIA SHAZAM TODAY

FAN CELEBRATIONS TO BE HELD WORLDWIDE

On September 29, Epic/Legacy Recordings, in collaboration with The Estate of Michael Jackson, will release Michael Jackson SCREAM, a collection of 13 of his all-time most electrifying and danceable tracks including “Ghosts,” “Torture,” “Thriller,” and “Dirty Diana.” Additionally, SCREAM includes a newly created bonus track, “Blood on the Dance Floor X Dangerous,” a high-energy five-song mashup from the acclaimed remixer The White Panda who created a seamless new musical experience.

Starting today, fans will be able to access the “Blood on The Dance Floor X Dangerous” mash-up of “Blood on the Dance Floor,” “Dangerous,” “This Place Hotel,” “Leave Me Alone,” and “Is It Scary.” The mash-up by The White Panda premieres exclusively on Shazam where for the two hours between 7am-9am ET fans can Shazam any Michael Jackson song and unlock the newly imagined track.

The track will also be offered as an instant grat track when you pre-order SCREAM digitally and will be available on all streaming platforms.

The choice of tracks for SCREAM reflects The King of Pop’s affection for this time of the year and its themes of costumes and disguise, darkness and light, character transformations and surprise. The album will be available in two physical formats, CD and glow-in-dark vinyl (available October 27) each containing a poster unique to the format. Fittingly, the poster and cover art conceal the first ever AR (augmented reality) experience created for a Michael Jackson project.

Each track on SCREAM is remarkable in its own way. For example, “Dirty Diana,” was the fifth consecutive No. 1 song from the album Bad which shattered records for consecutive chart topping singles off a single album; “Thriller,” penned by Rod Temperton, was the seventh of an unprecedented seven Top 10 singles from Thriller, the biggest-selling album of all time; and the Top 5 hit “Scream” is the only duet between Michael Jackson and his sister Janet. Also included are fan favorites from The Jacksons’ albums – “Torture” and “This Place Hotel” (the first single to be written, composed, and arranged solely by Michael); and, making its first appearance on a Michael Jackson album, “Somebody’s Watching Me,” the international 1985 hit by Rockwell featuring an iconic hook sung by Michael.

SCREAM is available for iTunes pre-order now: https://MichaelJackson.lnk.to/SCREAM_itunes. SCREAM is also available for pre-order on CD: https://MichaelJackson.lnk.to/SCREAM_amazon and on collectible, glow-in-the-dark 2LP vinyl (which will be released on October 27): https://MichaelJackson.lnk.to/SCREAM_VINYL.

Fans are invited to Official Michael Jackson SCREAM Album Celebrations this fall. These celebrations will take place in six major cities around the world: Paris, London, Sydney, Berlin, Los Angeles, and Tokyo. The events will include screenings of Michael’s seven short films from the SCREAM album including the full-length 40 minute Michael Jackson’s Ghosts, rarely seen following its initial screening at the 1997 Cannes Film Festival. An after party will follow. More information on the Official Michael Jackson SCREAM Album Celebrations will be announced in the coming days.

OFFICIAL SCREAM TRACKLISTING:
1. This Place Hotel
2. Thriller
3. Blood On The Dance Floor
4. Somebody’s Watching Me
5. Dirty Diana
6. Torture
7. Leave Me Alone
8. Scream
9. Dangerous
10. Unbreakable
11. Xscape
12. Threatened
13. Ghosts
Bonus Track: Blood On The Dance Floor X Dangerous (The White Panda Mash-Up)

I'd probably echo the sentiments that this release doesn't appear to have had much time spent on it for fans.

Although I can appreciate that the TV special may introduce a new generation of kids to Michael's songs, a lot of people are acting like kids buy CD or vinyl albums. They just don't. They all stream it. So I'm unsure as to whether this is a strong enough argument.

I'm a fan of vinyl so I just might pick it up. It comes with a poster and some VR experience apparently. Otherwise I'll pass.

I'd probably echo the sentiments that this release doesn't appear to have had much time spent on it for fans.

Although I can appreciate that the TV special may introduce a new generation of kids to Michael's songs, a lot of people are acting like kids buy CD or vinyl albums. They just don't. They all stream it. So I'm unsure as to whether this is a strong enough argument.

I'm a fan of vinyl so I just might pick it up. It comes with a poster and some VR experience apparently. Otherwise I'll pass.

If it supports the upcoming Halloween animated film, it is great to have all of the songs they'll use in the film on one album. It makes it very easy for younger fans to find the material on streaming services, rather than look for the songs 1 by 1 (assuming they even know the song name in the first place).

Glow in the dark vinyl?

Yup, I'm a big enough sucker to fall for that.

This is a compilation album. Every posthumous artist comes out with them. But it's Halloween themed, which is almost synonymous with Michael Jackson music. On top of that, it's supplementing the animated special, which is an incredibly unique idea that's aimed at furthering Michael's brand to the next generation of music listeners. Who knows? If a single person picks up this album and gets bitten by the MJ bug, then it was a successful endeavor. Michael's current catalog will always be more successful than anything they were to release now (you wouldn't believe how long and often Number Ones has been on the charts), so of course they're going to exploit that.

Yes this is true but another axiom is that there has been dozens upon dozens of MJ compilation albums. I understand your perspective there's nothing wrong with being excited about this project, I understand what and who they are aiming at with this release but you also have to understand the fans who already have these songs and has bought them numerous times throughout the years, one can just make a playlist on spotify with these tracks.

I don't think it's this conspiracy that people rally against the estate taking a stance of opposition to every announced project, at least not this one. Some just don't wanna buy these songs again and genuinely aren't interested in this one. Also Scream, Leave Me Alone, Dirty Diana in a halloween themed album but not Is It Scary? OK. At least I'm glad that they included Threatened.

Last edited:

What was that about quality going in before the name? lmao Only kidding, seems like a great release for casual fans and knowing me, I'm probably gonna pick it up too. Just hope the next announcement is something aimed at us.

And hey, the attached remix is actually fantastic. Not the same "contemporized" b.s. they've forced on us in the past; an honest-to-God mashup that sounds really, really good. That's already a step in the right direction.

Yes, I'm disappointed that there's no new music, but to call this project a "failure" simply because it doesn't have what we all wanted on it screams entitlement. The estate can't always cater to us.

Don't go reading Facebook comments on the post about the album. Embarrassing how many people criticize and whine for unreleased material honestly. I've never seen a fanbase complain so much, especially when you see everything the Estate has given us since 2009.

Yes this is true but another axiom is that there has been dozens upon dozens of MJ compilation albums. I understand your perspective there's nothing wrong with being excited about this project but you also have to understand the fans who already have these songs and has bought them numerous times throughout the years, one can just make a playlist on spotify with these tracks.

I don't think it's this conspiracy that people rally against the estate taking a stance of opposition to every announced project, at least not this one. Some just don't wanna buy these songs again and genuinely aren't interested in this one. Also Scream, Leave Me Alone, Dirty Diana in a halloween themed album but not Is It Scary? OK

Dozens of greatest hits, but nothing themed. A number of these tracks aren't exactly well known by the public. I don't want a lot of these compilations but the odd themed one here and there can't hurt. Frankly I don't want another Greatest Hits for another decade or two though. No need for one.

If it supports the upcoming Halloween animated film, it is great to have all of the songs they'll use in the film on one album. It makes it very easy for younger fans to find the material on streaming services, rather than look for the songs 1 by 1 (assuming they even know the song name in the first place).

So just create a Spotify playlist for it.

The estate could learn a thing or two about how to handle a deceased artist's legacy from David Bowie's legacy minders.

So just create a Spotify playlist for it.

Sure, if you know all the song names which a newcomer wouldn't. People are lazy creatures, this makes it super easy to get all those cool new Michael Jackson songs you heard in one place. Aside from money, this is one reason why studios release movie songtracks/compilations for example.

Makes a cool party album too I guess.

Support and enjoy it if you want, but let people complain if they want. It's mostly justified tbh given the Estate's track record. I keep seeing certain fans say we are the most moany fanbase? Really? How many dead musicians of MJ's calibre are there? How many of you frequent Elvis fan forums to really make that judgement? I certainly don't..

who is the white panda

The estate could learn a thing or two about how to handle a deceased artist's legacy from David Bowie's legacy minders.

*re-releases Number Ones in an entirely new package under a new name, with the exact same track listing, minus the last 2-3 songs*

:p

Jokes aside, I think both estates are doing well. Bowie's Estate is a great example to follow.

Maybe Is It Scary was left out because it doesnt fit the bill of "Danceable"

OMG I love this mashup!

Maybe Is It Scary was left out because it doesnt fit the bill of "Danceable"

Plausable. Although I thought the major theme was Halloween and horror so surely it would've made more sense to include? Just odd. At least it's in the megamix!!!

Back