Michael Jackson's beautiful smooth/charming/youthful voice in off The Wall album

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
This album doesn't really get enough credit in certain circles. From beginning to end it's some of the most pristine vocals I've ever heard. On every song. EVERY ONE, @ChanceToDance that includes Girlfriend. He's super smooth. And the Rod Temperton tunes are also quite well adapted for MJ's voice; Disco would always be the bread and butter for many fans.

Also, @NeoGardiV8 You've got me permanently messed up, after I bought the SE of the cd instead of the "superior" 90s variation. Now I'm stuck wondering lol.

AHHAHAHAHAHA. DAMN. You seriously just plagiarized the name of my las thread?! Damn. This interpolations is awful! I demand for your excuses!

Anyway, the best track on Invincible album.... Oi sorry! On Off The Wall album is Off The Wall!) Verse of this song is SOOO cool. I can listen it for hours)

It is just impossible to narrow down. This 1975 vocal is also super beautiful

Also can someone please clean up the sound for this beautiful 1977 vocal, i’m sick of the horrible sound

Last edited:
With the exception of She's Out Of My Life, Off The Wall is probably Michael's happiest album. You can hear the joy and playfulness in his voice when he sings.
Agreed. Even the Motown albums, while having single tracks that are very cheerful indeed (looking at you, Rockin’ Robin), will evoke feelings of sadness and anxiety, whether it stem from the composition itself, or Michael’s interpretation of it.

Off the Wall is pretty light-hearted (joyous) all the way through. Even in songs like It’s the Falling in Love and I Can’t Help It, Michael never appears to be too suffering. It’s like he’s projecting a sense of hope through the vocals, which is an incredible feat in and of itself. And then, of course, there is the obvious exception to all of this, as you’ve already mentioned (She’s Out of My Life).

Off the Wall is pretty light-hearted (joyous) all the way through. Even in songs like It’s the Falling in Love and I Can’t Help It, Michael never appears to be too suffering. It’s like he’s projecting a sense of hope through the vocals, which is an incredible feat in and of itself. And then, of course, there is the obvious exception to all of this, as you’ve already mentioned (She’s Out of My Life).

Off The Wall is the ups and downs of a party. SOOML is the downer part. It picks back up in the latter half, ending with Burn This Disco Out in the same way Dangerous would, circling you back around to the party all over again

Billboard in the Xscape review put it nicely:

From almost the very start, when he was singing about burning the disco down on “Off The Wall,” Jackson’s music mixed celebration and terror, as if he was unable to find, or maintain, the division between the two. His music offered a place to both explore and escape those tensions.

Not so much the Off The Wall album, but I was listening to The Jacksons live album (from 1981) and Mike's voice sounds wonderful on that. He nails the Off The Wall tracks, it's like listening to the album versions.

'Thriller' might have the superior songs but 'Off The Wall' feels more cohesive; it's my favourite album to listen to for sure!
Oh how I wish to hear the outtakes of it (if they actually exist)

Back