Michael Jackson's Singles and Maxi-Singles on Digital Platforms

Arckangel

Proud Member
Some artists have been making their entire single/maxi-single discography available on Spotify, Apple Music/iTunes, and other portals. (Madonna's gradually uploading hers.)

Michael Jackson only currently has five visible singles in the "Singles and EPs" section of his Spotify portal. Why would Sony/The Estate not start uploading all of MJ's singles? It could be two-track singles, maxi-singles, and even expanded remix EPs with promo mixes, edits, etc.

Doing so would cost close to nothing unless they want to do some remastering/volume normalization work and artwork upscaling, but even then, it would not cost much at all, and it would only result in many more streams from fans.

If any of you are in contact with the parties that could make that happen, please forward this suggestion. Besides, not all fans have all those physical singles and maxi-singles (of the Motown and Sony eras). I'm surprised they haven't started doing it already.

Last edited:
It's a good point.

But I guess, for MJ, most of the singles simply weren't very good, ie, it's just dance remixes. If you don't like remixes, or if you find them dated, then there's simply nothing else. Otherwise it's just the occasional acapella or extended version (and the current trend is towards 2-minute songs, not 8-minite songs).

I guess Sony simply don't see any profit in doing this.

Also, I don't want them to do any "remastering/volume normalization work". Labels need to stop making records that sound worse than the originals.

It's a good point.

But I guess, for MJ, most of the singles simply weren't very good, ie, it's just dance remixes. If you don't like remixes, or if you find them dated, then there's simply nothing else. Otherwise it's just the occasional acapella or extended version (and the current trend is towards 2-minute songs, not 8-minite songs).

I guess Sony simply don't see any profit in doing this.

Also, I don't want them to do any "remastering/volume normalization work". Labels need to stop making records that sound worse than the originals.

Well, that's mostly what I'd expect from maxi-singles: remixes and extended mixes. As I pointed out, not all fans have all or any of those physical singles, and it's good preservation to have it all in high quality on official digital platforms. Some of those mixes can be found on YouTube (fan-uploaded), but I think those releases (incl. promo-only mixes) deserve official uploads.

The length or sound of those mixes is not a problem 'cause that's what fans would expect of retro recordings. And those singles sometimes include shorter edits that may or may not be available on the compilations.

The Sony era singles should definitely all be released: those could be expanded versions comprising the single, maxi-single and promo tracks. As for the Motown era singles, I've noticed it's all album tracks. Less of a priority, but it'd still be cool to have it all online with the cover art for each single. It really wouldn't cost Sony much anything at all, and I'm sure many fans would stream and pay for downloads.

In my opinion, I think it's just cooler to have the singles physically instead of digitally. But that's just me. You can disagree if you please. I won't try to change your mind.

Back