Michael should have released a album in 2005 trial times

Arif Emirhan Alkan

Proud Member
Yes You read it correctly.He could have fight back with his songs and lyrics.The album would have been with meaningful songs and show the world The Real Michael Jackson.The album's name could have been "Xscape,Shout or The Real King"Here is the tracklist
1:Xscape
2:There Must Be More To Life Than This
3Price Of Fame
4:Free
5;Do You Know Where Your Children Are
6:Faces
7:On The Line
8:Shout
9People Of The World
10:What More Can I Give
11:We Have Had Enough

Michael was mentally in no condition to record and release an album in 2005.
Exactly so.

Terrible idea. He was fighting for his life during that trial. I don't see how he could possibly have focused on any part of recording or releasing anything in the aftermath of all of that. His mental, physical and emotional health, not to mention that of his children, were all far more important than anything else in this period. Yes, he did continue working with Brad Buxer and wrote songs after it was all over but that is very far removed from any thoughts of releasing stuff in 2005.

I do believe that there was a credible death threat made against Michael on the day of the verdict. Apparently his lead bodyguard made him wear a bullet proof vest. Just that one fact alone, assuming it's true, would be difficult enough to recover from.

The real Michael Jackson was standing in front of the world his whole life. And quite a big chunk of that world couldn't see what was in front of them or didn't care. And Xscape would, in any case, have made a lousy album title. A big chunk of that world did not (and still does not) accept the verdict. Calling an album Xscape at that precise moment would be throwing petrol onto the fire. The media? They would have slaughtered him (as if they hadn't done already).

Also, the timing was not good at all for him for releasing a new album in 2005.

Michael Jackson was negatively over-exposed at that time, and thus a new album would not have been perceived well by the audience.

Also, there were credible death threats made against him not only on the day of the verdict, but also during the entire trial period.

For instance, in 2004 (August) a guy sent to Santa Barbara courthouse (via e-mails) death threats against the singer.

But, Michael Jackson did write several songs during that trial time ('You Are So Beautiful', is one of them) because the song-writing process at that time helped him to distract his attention from the trial's stress and pressure.

I take it you weren't around at the time of the trial, because otherwise, you'd know MJ was the biggest laughing stock in America after the second set of child molestation allegations. It's not a joke to say he hit rock-bottom, because he did; the first case in 1993 tarnished his reputation, and he lost any opportunity to repair it when he settled in 1994. The second child molestation case that followed the Bashir doc in 2003 was the final nail in the coffin.

Maybe an album released when he would have been on the This Is It tour would have done OK, if record-breaking ticket sales are any indication, but MJ was never going to be that relevant in the music industry as long as he was still alive. No one was expecting him to make any comeback album outside of the fanbase; the general public just saw him as a shell of his former self.

Last edited:
I take it you weren't around at the time of the trial, because otherwise, you'd know MJ was the biggest laughing stock in America after the second set of child molestation allegations. It's not a joke to say he hit rock-bottom, because he did; the first case in 1993 tarnished his reputation, and he lost any opportunity to repair it when he settled in 1994. The second child molestation case that followed the Bashir doc in 2003 was the final nail in the coffin.

Maybe an album released when he would have been on the This Is It tour would have done OK, if record-breaking ticket sales are any indication, but MJ was never going to be relevant in the music industry as long as he was still alive. No one was expecting him to make any comeback album outside of the fanbase; the general public just saw him as a shell of his former self.
I strongly disagree with this on all fronts. In fact I almost disagree with your entire post. I think it's pretty odd that you're disregarding actual data (TII ticket sales) and inserting your own speculation. MJ still had many fans, and non fans who still liked his music, all over the world and people was still clamoring for a comeback, just watch 2006 WMA. Big name producers and artists were still lining up to work with him, big dance and music shows sought him out and wanted him to perform on their shows etc. Maybe the critics would have given him a hard time but when was there a time that they didn't do that?

If breaking ticket sales, selling out the entire O2 arena in a short amount of time with 50 concerts is considered being irrelevant then wow, I guess 99,8% of artists in the music industry could be considered as irrelevant as well cause not even the most relevant artist today could sell out the O2 for 2 nights less alone 50 nights.

Last edited:
“ the real king” how tacky would that have been lol

Do we know if he was recording or writing during the months of the process in 2005? Maybe he did as a diversion for negative thoughts or maybe he didn’t because his mind was blank and troubled.

Yes You read it correctly.He could have fight back with his songs and lyrics.The album would have been with meaningful songs and show the world The Real Michael Jackson.The album's name could have been "Xscape,Shout or The Real King"Here is the tracklist
1:Xscape
2:There Must Be More To Life Than This
3Price Of Fame
4:Free
5;Do You Know Where Your Children Are
6:Faces
7:On The Line
8:Shout
9People Of The World
10:What More Can I Give
11:We Have Had Enough
I don’t think Michael could focus on creating an album while he was in a criminal trial that was taking a bad toll on his health.

I strongly disagree with this on all fronts. In fact I almost disagree with your entire post. I think it's pretty odd that you're disregarding actual data (TII ticket sales) and inserting your own speculation. MJ still had many fans, and non fans who still liked his music, all over the world and people was still clamoring for a comeback, just watch 2006 WMA. Big name producers and artists were still lining up to work with him, big dance and music shows sought him out and wanted him to perform on their shows etc. Maybe the critics would have given him a hard time but when was there a time that they didn't do that?

If breaking ticket sales, selling out the entire O2 arena in a short amount of time with 50 concerts is considered being irrelevant then wow, I guess 99,8% of artists in the music industry could be considered as irrelevant as well cause not even the most relevant artist today could sell out the O2 for 2 nights less alone 50 nights.

I didn't ignore the ticket sales, and I already said it's possible that an album at the time of This Is It might have done OK. But the ticket sales don't necessarily translate to album sales. After 1993, his albums sold much fewer than before; just as History sold much less than Dangerous, and Invincible much less than History, any future album would have sold even less. Album sales were declining for the music industry in general, so obviously they would decline for someone already past his prime like MJ.

Yes, MJ still had plenty of fans worldwide, but I'm mainly speaking of America. His last top ten hit on the Hot 100 was in 2001. "One More Chance" in 2003 flopped. And you can't ignore the fact that after the second child molestation scandal, MJ was a huge laughing stock in America. He was the go-to punchline in pop culture; tons of shows, movies, comedians and people online would make fun of him nonstop.

Again, I don't rule out an album doing OK in 2009, but it wouldn't be the grand comeback that some fans think it would have been. I don't think him releasing an album that would only sell 3m at most was necessary; it would have been dismissed as a failure by MJ's standards, just as Invincible was.

Breaking ticket sales and selling out the entire O2 Arena with 50 concerts in a short amount of time does not necessarily mean that there would be a big, successful comeback (with a new, successful album) for Michael Jackson.

Serious problems would have arisen (such as, re-schedules, cancellations, etc) which would have turned those concerts into a disaster.

Michael Jackson physically and mentally was in no position to perform 50 'This Is It' concerts.

He even admitted that to some fans in 2009 (Los Angeles) when he said to them that he did not know how he was going to do 50 shows.

Also, his performance at the 2006 World Music Awards was not received well, and it was described as an embarrassing comeback.

According to press reports and onlookers, the singer (at the 2006 World Music Awards) was booed even by many of his own fans who were left disappointed by him because he did not perform in the way that he was expected to.

Also, his performance at the 2006 World Music Awards was not received well, and it was described as an embarrassing comeback.

According to press reports and onlookers, the singer (at the 2006 World Music Awards) was booed even by many of his own fans who were left disappointed by him because he did not perform in the way that he was expected to.

If you really believe that, I recommend reading this article:

http://charlesthomsonjournalist.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-truth-about-michael-jacksons-uk.html

Well, the video evidence from the event itself suggests otherwise. He received a rapturous welcome from the crowd at Earl's Court which, the pictures suggest, was largely made up of Michael fans. Charles Thomson investigated these specious claims and could find no evidence to support them. Charles was there that night (I wasn't) and is a responsible journalist.

The British tabloids were doing what they always do, making me feel 'proud' to be British. It's their special talent. Especially when it comes to Michael and the way they wrote about him. Don't forget, it was a British tabloid that invented the insult 'W J'. I can't remember the press coverage of WMA myself (it's so long ago) but I believe that, in the early editions of the papers, the reports were positive and accurate. Later editions of the papers carried the false reports that Michael was booed. If anybody booed Michael that night it must have been a *very* small contingent.

The evidence is right there. The crowd did not want to let Michael go. If he was being booed why would he strip off his expensive designer jacket and throw it into the crowd?

There might have been some fans who expected Michael to perform and who were disappointed. I believe that more expensive tickets were sold on that basis. As far as I'm concerned that is largely the fault of Michael's manager who seems to have made a right pig's ear of the whole thing. There probably is also some blame to be attached to Earl's Court PR dept. Sounds to me like they were trying to exploit Michael's presence at the event but without ensuring that everything was properly signed off.

But that's not even the point. Michael was not booed that night. His fans were showering him with love. Even Beyonce was amazed at the reaction he got. Just look at her face, you'll see what I mean. She is proper astonished at what is happening.

Last edited:
IIRC, some people only booed because there wasn't a full performance from MJ that night.

I was at the 2006 WMA - Wasn't a boo to be heard, I have never witnessed such an appreciation for someone, Michael was actually in his element and the crowd loved it, its almost impossible to explain just how well the evening went. I will never get my head around those perceptions, especially from "journalists" who were probably not even there

I was at the 2006 WMA - Wasn't a boo to be heard, I have never witnessed such an appreciation for someone, Michael was actually in his element and the crowd loved it, its almost impossible to explain just how well the evening went. I will never get my head around those perceptions, especially from "journalists" who were probably not even there
This is pretty much how Charles Thomson described it in an interview I heard. He's a trained and experienced journalist. He's not going to let his emotional response to Michael's appearance at WMA cloud his journalist's assessment of what's happening in front of him. He even conducted a mini experiment to find out if there was any booing going on in various parts of the stadium (I think he was right at the front).

Besides, the video evidence is right there for us all to see. Look at Michael's face. Look at Beyonce's face. Listen to the crowd. I've watched this thing and looked at various parts of the crowd to see if I can see where the crowd is less interested, more detached from what's going on. I can't see it. All I can see is a crowd of people going crazy for Michael.

The reason (as I've understand it) the WMA 2006 was considered a flop by some was because there was some false rumours that MJ was going to actually perform. Not just walk on stage - but his first real performance after the trial. - It was so stupid that MJ's team and the WMA did not go out very clearly and say "NO that's not gonna happen!"

Also - I've heard that because the show was running late the law made them turn down the music/cut the music while MJ was still on stage, making it a rather abrubt ending? - don't know if that's correct?? - does anyone know?

BUT - apart for some people, propably not in the audience - being disappointed because MJ did not make a real performance I must say, I have never seen a crowd go nuts the way it did when MJ came on the stage - both times actually.

Clearly from the amatuer recordings and the official pictures people go crazy - I see absolutely noone looking like the are booing - that should be at the end because they did not want it to end, but it has nothing to do with MJ. - He was welcomed and treated like the MJ from the 80's - real Michaelmania.

I didn't ignore the ticket sales, and I already said it's possible that an album at the time of This Is It might have done OK. But the ticket sales don't necessarily translate to album sales. After 1993, his albums sold much fewer than before; just as History sold much less than Dangerous, and Invincible much less than History, any future album would have sold even less. Album sales were declining for the music industry in general, so obviously they would decline for someone already past his prime like MJ.
Well that's just the name of the game. Usually an artist output declines in sales, except for some very rare exceptions. Bad sold less than thriller and Dangerous sold less than Bad. I don’t think anyone expected MJ to do thriller numbers again because those type of numbers are not the norm.
Yes, MJ still had plenty of fans worldwide, but I'm mainly speaking of America. His last top ten hit on the Hot 100 was in 2001. "One More Chance" in 2003 flopped. And you can't ignore the fact that after the second child molestation scandal, MJ was a huge laughing stock in America. He was the go-to punchline in pop culture; tons of shows, movies, comedians and people online would make fun of him nonstop.
Okay so you are strictly talking about the US then? Because One more chance did well very well overseas. It hit top five and top ten in some countries and recieved a very positive reception. Just because a single/album doesn’t do well in the US doesn’t make it a flop.
US is not the only music market in the world, and its not even the biggest market in the world and an a global international megastar like MJ knew this very well.
Again, I don't rule out an album doing OK in 2009, but it wouldn't be the grand comeback that some fans think it would have been. I don't think him releasing an album that would only sell 3m at most was necessary; it would have been dismissed as a failure by MJ's standards, just as Invincible was.
Well that’s the thing it isn’t it? The expectation that he had to sell 100 of millions of records for something to be successful is just plain stupid imo. How many artist that had been active since the 60’s were even selling half the amount of records Invincible sold? What are you basing your 3 million numbers on? Are you strictly talking about sales in the US? That’s just an arbitrary number and your speculation is as good as anyones. Let’s say it made 3 millions in the US and then 3-4 millions overseas. 6-7 millions in 2010 from an artist that has been in the industry since the 60’s and that had been mocked and ridiculed and accused of one of the most heinous crimes one could commit? That would be a big F U to everyone. Imagine what the critics and people would say if Bruce Springsteen sold that many records.

@Themidwestcowboy

Now don't exaggerate with "one more chance's chart success, it flopped big time. It also dropped significantly after the first week in the UK. Spanish and Italian top 10s hardly mean anything as single sales in those countries were then at an historical low point (remember when MJ released all his old singles again in Spain, they all hit top 3, says enough about that sales chart). I think 100 copies sold was enough to reach top 10 in those days in Spain.

Chart (2003)​
Peak
position​
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[8]58
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[9]30
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)[10]37
France (SNEP)[11]44
Germany (Official German Charts)[12]29
Ireland (IRMA)[13]21
Italy (FIMI)[14]7
Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[15]28
Spain (PROMUSICAE)[16]7
Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)[17]24
UK Singles (OCC)[18]5
US Billboard Hot 100[19]83

@Themidwestcowboy

Now don't exaggerate with "one more chance's chart success, it flopped big time. It also dropped significantly after the first week in the UK. Spanish and Italian top 10s hardly mean anything as single sales in those countries were then at an historical low point (remember when MJ released all his old singles again in Spain, they all hit top 3, says enough about that sales chart). I think 100 copies sold was enough to reach top 10 in those days in Spain.

Chart (2003)​
Peak
position​
Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)[8]58
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)[9]30
Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)[10]37
France (SNEP)[11]44
Germany (Official German Charts)[12]29
Ireland (IRMA)[13]21
Italy (FIMI)[14]7
Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)[15]28
Spain (PROMUSICAE)[16]7
Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)[17]24
UK Singles (OCC)[18]5
US Billboard Hot 100[19]83
To be honest, I know nothing about how the charts works for countries such as Spain and Italy so I can’t make a particular statement about the information you relayed other than I saw the chart positions for the some of the countries in Europe and figure that a song that dropped with virtually no promotion and no music video made it to top 5 in the UK was a great feat. Wasn’t this single released like one week after the allegations and arrest were made?

Wasn’t this single released like one week after the allegations and arrest were made?

Oh man I have absolutely no clue.

Anyway, imo Michael’s last song (while alive and kicking) that had chart success around the world is you rock my world but it also rather quickly dropped down the charts in most countries. It certainly was not a massive hit like earth song, you are not alone or they don’t care about us. Those songs charted for several months and had high peak positions all around.

For the UK fans usually flocked to the music stores during forst week to make sure the songs debuted as high as possible, if then later the masses also appreciate the songs it stayed on the chart for months but one more chance was out of the top 40 in it’s fourth week which is a big sales drop considering it debuted at nr 5.

Compare it with earth song and you see the huge difference, it stayed in the top 40 for 19 weeks of which 9 weeks in he top 10. This on 3 separate occasions, it re entered the top 40 in 2006 and 2009

Usually the name of Michael Jackson is enough promotion for radio stations to pick it up but for one more chance it never kicked off. Airplay is the best promotion.
One more chance does have a video though but that one also didn’t get played much.

Last edited:

The reason why History sold less than Dangerous was because it was a double disc album, which meant that it was more expensive than a standard single disc album. Also, the allegations didn't help. Michael also stop touring the US after the Bad Tour, which no doubt affected the sales in his homeland.

Regardless, History was a big success in Europe and its single Earth Song is Michael's second most successful single after Billie Jean in the UK. All the singles from Michael's History album cracked the top 10 in the UK, which wasn't the case for the singles of his previous albums. Aforementioned Earth Song also became Michael's first ever song to hit #1 in Germany, with They Don't Care About Us becoming Michael's second #1 there. As Michael was losing popularity in the USA, he was gaining it in other music markets.

The reason for Invincible not doing as well as his previous albums was down to lack of promotion and Michael himself abandoning the Invincible project. Remember that Michael performed at the American Bandstand and Clinton's gala in April 2002, which was just a few months after the release of Invincible. If Michael wanted to, he could have performed songs from Invincible during those performances which would have definitely helped increased the sales of Invincible.

Regardless, Invincible sold 7+ million copies, which was a success for an artist in his 40s and with all the scandals. I believe that had Michael released an album in 2009-10, it would have matched the sales of Invincible. With all the promotion and hype of Michael comeback, his new album would have done well. Would it have done as well as Thriller, Bad, Off The Wall, Dangerous, History? No, but it still would have been commercially successful. I think Michael was realistic in the sense that he knew that he was past his commercial peak. Michael's contemporaries such as Madonna was still commercially successful in 2008 with her Hard Candy album. There is no reason why Michael couldn't have been as well during that time, as he was a bigger star.

America isn't the only country. As I mentioned above, Michael stopped touring USA after the Bad Tour. He wasn't too bothered about the US market anymore. He was trying to focus on the European, Asian & South American markets in the 1990s.

One More Chance came around the same time the second allegations broke out. It was never going to be commercially successful. It still managed to reach top 10 in some European countries, so it wasn't a total flop.

Michael not having any top 10 hits in USA after 2001 was down to the fact that singles such as Cry weren't released in the US. Butterflies despite its popularity was only released to radio airplay. It peaked at #14. Had it been released as a proper single, it was have no doubt cracked the top 10.

So after You Rock My World, the only other song that was released as a single in the USA during Michael's lifetime was the aforementioned One More Chance, which was unfortunately doomed from the start, because of it releasing at the worst possible time.

P.s. Michael has had two posthumous top 10 hits in the USA with Love Never Felt So Good and Don't Matter To Me, so it isn't all too bad.

Invincible was originally supposed to be MJ's final album. He was considering it in a 1999 interview to focus on movie soundtracks afterwards, and from what I read, he was planning to do movies in 2003 before the second scandal hit.

Shame Invincible didn't end his discography on a high note; there wasn't much reason for him to continue making albums after all the success he had, so this could have been his last hurrah. But he did shoot himself in the foot by making its budget so high. Verifiable sales of the album are 6.5m iirc so I think it only would have sold about double with proper promo. Given the album's budget of 30m, that'd still be a commercial flop.

Last edited:

Some people just like a reaction.probably werent even born then! Same as those who thought he should have put an album out during 05.. cause its not like he didn't have more important things to do like fighting for his life.

I agree 1000% with everything you said. Thank You for pointing out the misinformation and fallacy of that post. It seems that these people never rely on facts . They rely on speculation, rumors, media manipulation, and their Feelings. What a shame! 😕

Last edited:
Oh man I have absolutely no clue.
It sure did. MJ was arrested November 20 and the song was released on November 22, just two days after. The fact that he even managed to get into the top 10 of the charts in some countries under those circumstances is quite unbelievable.

Back