Michael tops list of solo artist that left their groups.

I have seen a similar list recently which was about the most successful solo artists who come from a boy band. (Well, IMO the J5 is more than a boy band, but you can count them as a boy band as well.) The list was based on the number of #1 hits that the artist scored solo. Of course, MJ was #1 there too. I think Timberlake was #2.

I guess a teen made this list, because where is Eric Clapton, George Michael, Lionel Richie, Teddy Pendergrass, Sting, Diana Ross, Peter Gabriel, or Ricky Martin? :rofl:

Yes its a tenny bopper list, and misses out many important people, but isn't it great that even teeny boppers recognise Michael Jackson from this old guard. Shows us the enduring appeal of his music and legacy. Michael Jackson has transcended all the trends and phases of late 20th century and early 21st century popular music, to make himself a truly timeless performer. People may still be talking about and be amazed with MJ 100 years from now, when they ahve long forgotten about the crop of 1990s to 2010s boy groups that dominate it.

Okay Zayn or whatever his name is, has had a huge hit with Pillowtalk, but will he endure like MJ did? Very unlikely. I do feel George Michael should rank higher, as Faith was a colossal hit after the Wham! days and it is a stunning album.

Last edited:
In my opinion Michael should top every solo artist list
I don't know how Mike would top a polka, punk, goth, bluegrass, or death metal list or even place anywhere on them:rollin: Maybe Jimmy Sturr or Frank Yankovic would top a polka solo list

I don't know how Mike would top a polka, punk, goth, bluegrass, or death metal list or even place anywhere on them:rollin: Maybe Jimmy Sturr or Frank Yankovic would top a polka solo list

That's why I said IMO. :yes:
And you would be suprised at how stupidly some of these list are put together.
At this point it honestly wouldn't suprise me to see a punk artist top a bluegrass list ( so why not MJ tbh).
Many of the list I see pay no heed to genre or talent, but instead are just popularity contest.

That's why I said IMO. :yes:
And you would be suprised at how stupidly some of these list are put together.
At this point it honestly wouldn't suprise me to see a punk artist top a bluegrass list ( so why not MJ tbh).
Unlikely because a mainstream media outlet like E! News is not likely to be talking about bluegrass in the first place nor punk for that matter unless it's something like Green Day or Blink 182. Bluegrass has never been mainstream like on the Top 40 to get a lot of media attention. The country audience tends to be rather conservative, not all, but many. Remember the Dixie Chicks getting banned from country radio stations for talking about President Bush? So punk is not likely to make a list made by the actual bluegrass audience.

Unlikely because a mainstream media outlet like E! News is not likely to be talking about bluegrass in the first place nor punk for that matter unless it's something like Green Day or Blink 182. Bluegrass has never been mainstream like on the Top 40 to get a lot of media attention. The country audience tends to be rather conservative, not all, but many. Remember the Dixie Chicks getting banned from country radio stations for talking about President Bush? So punk is not likely to make a list made by the actual bluegrass audience.

Trust me.
I've seen some weirdly put together list.

Trust me. I've seen some weirdly put together list.
That's why I said "actual bluegrass audience". Someone who would put a punk act on a bluegrass list is most likely a person joking or trolling. Punk music is often about rebellion, something a country audience who are the main bluegrass listeners, would less likely to be for. The country audience is more likely to be patriotic, and be into messages like the song God Bless The USA by Lee Greenwood or Merle Haggard's Okie From Muskogee. That's why there was a big fuss about the Dixie Chicks as Natalie Maines said she was ashamed to be from the same state as George W. Bush. That's considered being unpatriotic and disrespectful to Bush, and so many country stations stopped playing their music. The Dixie Chicks was a really popular group and sold a lot in the US. Also the sound of punk and its fashion, regardless of the message, is less likely to appeal to a bluegrass/country only listener.

That's why I said "actual bluegrass audience". Someone who would put a punk act on a bluegrass list is most likely a person joking or trolling. Punk music is often about rebellion, something a country audience who are the main bluegrass listeners, would less likely to be for. The country audience is more likely to be patriotic, and be into messages like the song God Bless The USA by Lee Greenwood. That's why there was a big fuss about the Dixie Chicks as Natalie Maines said she was ashamed to be from the same state as George W. Bush. That's considered being unpatriotic and disrespectful to Bush, and so many country stations stopped playing their music. The Dixie Chicks was a really popular group and sold a lot in the US. Also the sound of punk and its fashion, regardless of the message, is less likely to appeal to a bluegrass/country only listener.

True.
People do like to troll. :yes:

In my opinion Michael should top every solo artist list, but don't even get me started on how some people like to downplay him and rank him low on some of these list.
well, yeah. but there's others who are far more worthy competitors than those people. he's a LEGEND, they are not. putting a legend up against artists like these is no match. and had it been any other legend I would have said the same. of course, only if they were the only legend on the list, like Michael is on this :imbad

It'd be a crime if he wasn't #1, honestly. Side note, Justin Timberlake should be #3 instead of Gwen.

Back