Michael's Career After Thriller

No matter who ever was Michael’s producer, the force behind the music and his own career was Michael, IMO.

Nobody buys someone’s album because of his or her producer. Producer’s name always comes as an additional factor, IMO. If matters at all.

As for Michael’s career after Thriller… There is so much more than just who was his producer to think about.

With Jones or not, there could be NO next album after Thriller if MICHAEL JACKSON was not strong enough to go on with his career having Vitiligo.

Why next albums didn’t sell as much as Thriller? Well, because some things happen in the right time and in the right place, with less competition and different market state. Quincy Jones was a lucky man to be part of it!

Yes, later Michael had to work differently but that was about different marketing strategies. Noone can sell a thing without working hard, no matter what your producer’s name is.

All I am trying to say is great music is great music and it cannot be not great enough, no matter how it selles.

One more thing, we cannot blame media for everything but managed to be successful, happy and creative knowing that half of Globe think you are unkind, untalented, abnormal person is difficult.

No producer could help with this; Michael Jackson went through this alone and he did great, all “if this or that” are unnecessary, IMO.

^Yes they do. That's why they're called the black singles charts. Black radio was primarily listened and frequented by blacks.

I know that black radio, soul and R&B is mainly listened to by black people. But that doesn't mean there aren't white people who listen to them and who buy black records. More to the point: Much less does it prove your point that 100% of the black people who listened to the J5 in 1969 still listened to them and supported them in 1976 and it were the whites who left them. Actually, when you look at the audience of an early J5 concert that too is nearly 100% black. So to say it were only the whites who left them after their initial success is a very questionable point. Since their initial support was mainly black there was probably a large number of black fans who left them by 1976 considering them "washed up".

In the UK there are far less black people relatively to the whole population compared to the US and the Jacksons still charted well on the main chart in the mid 70s to the early 80s. How come if white people needed Thriller to discover MJ? Either not only black but also white people kept supporting the Jacksons after the initial success in the UK, or UK black people were more loyal to them than US black people.

Last edited:
Michaels Lover;4132099 said:
I don't know if it would've made much of a difference if he had told it sooner. while he didn't exactly write in Moonwalk he had vitiligo, he did write that he didn't bleach his skin. why couldn't people just believe that? becase they were so brainwashed by the media, that no matter what Michael did or said, they didn't believe it. I don't think he could've done anything much different that would have changed anything. why should he have to explain himself, if he didn't feel like it? it's not like he owed anyone an explanation. I don't blame him for not wanting to tell about it, because whatever medical problems you have, it's something that's personal, and just because you're the world biggest star who just happens to have this skin disorder, doesn't mean you should have to explain yourself to anybody

Exactly!!! The issue of Michael’s having dealt with the media wasn’t a “new” thing. He had problems with them making up stories about him for just about his whole, entire adult life. Maybe even going further back than that, to when he was probably in his late-teenage years, on the verge of his becoming an adult.

Michael owed an explanation of his personal, private life to absolutely no one, the subject matter of his medical history included. He chose to reveal his health problems* (*specifically, that he had a skin disease - which he didn’t actually mention by name, as Vitiligo, until his press conference at “Neverland”) only when he felt he was ready to do that. And, I think he was put under a tremendous amount of pressure as well, even when he did reveal something that private about himself, to explain the drastic changes in his outward physical appearance.

No matter what he said, these people who had the gall to call themselves “journalists” (many of whom are not even fit for such a designation, because of what they either publish, write, broadcast or post online for us to get interested in reading, watching on T.V., listening to on the radio and commenting or responding to online posts and “blogs”), trying to get “information” about him, would spread rumors and all kinds of false piece-of-garbage stories around.

His albums, particularly, from “Dangerous” onwards up to “Invincible,” would have probably sold much better than they had, if it were not - at least, partly - for the notoriety of the last nearly 20 years of his life that it, eventually, became. Don’t you think so?

Last edited:
Im fairly glad that Im able to listen to his music and not try pinpoint on a black-o-meter how black Michael is on any given song.

BBD, I see you responded to my post basically saying "if it aint broke dont fix it."

I think I can safely say if Michael stuck to your blinkered view of how his career should have gone there would be a lot less people here to have this ridiculous discussion with you, as you seem to have wanted MJ to release OTW then Thriller and repeat as necessary.

Can you listen to a song and decide for yourself if you like it or not or do you need to do research?

Music can sound black or white, but I feel sorry for those that find this to be a constraint. Also, record sales seems to be very important to you.

Bob Dylan went electric, Queen added synthesisers, U2 went very electronic, the Beatles went full blown Beatles. David Bowie went on to out-everything everyone. They all did fine by evolving, and music is a better thing because of it.

With your logic, music would be much less interesting and I'm glad to see that most people disagree with you.

Im fairly glad that Im able to listen to his music and not try pinpoint on a black-o-meter how black Michael is on any given song.

BBD, I see you responded to my post basically saying "if it aint broke dont fix it."

I think I can safely say if Michael stuck to your blinkered view of how his career should have gone there would be a lot less people here to have this ridiculous discussion with you, as you seem to have wanted MJ to release OTW then Thriller and repeat as necessary.

Can you listen to a song and decide for yourself if you like it or not or do you need to do research?

Music can sound black or white, but I feel sorry for those that find this to be a constraint. Also, record sales seems to be very important to you.

Bob Dylan went electric, Queen added synthesisers, U2 went very electronic, the Beatles went full blown Beatles. David Bowie went on to out-everything everyone. They all did fine by evolving, and music is a better thing because of it.

With your logic, music would be much less interesting and I'm glad to see that most people disagree with you.

there is nowhere in anything I said where I expected him to always release albums that were styled or copies of OTW or Thriller......

I never said that......

and I also said I bought every one of his solo albums the day of release and I never compared his albums to what he had already done..........

and I said that from the very beginning, MJ was already showing his full range as a vocalist and stylist and the reason why he reached the pinnacle was not because he stuck to one genre of music

and I also said that eclectic songs like BEN were totally in contrast to soulful songs he had done and people were loving it

I also said that Will You Be There and Earth Song were two of my all time favorite songs by Michael

that was not the problem

when he allowed his talent to speak for itself, that's what propelled him to achieve true greatness

when he changed his image up, w/fans of the first 16 years of his career from 1969-1985 could see that he changed up his image, that's when all the problems started, because the image was not real

tell me anywhere where I said he always had to release albums produced in the same structure as OTW and Thriller......

and I also said, that if he would not have constructed an image that as never real, he would not have had to try and prove his "blackness" down the line

as far as the record sales, they were most important to him for he said himself in his own autobiography that when he released the BAD LP, he, Michael Jackson expected to sale 100,000,000 million copies of it

HE said that

and when that did not happen, heads went to rollin and he let go of his manager and producer

and as early as 1990, I already knew that MJ was gonna ask Teddy Riley to produce his next record because Riley was the most prominent black producer on the scene during that time

Back