Michael's heavenly voice

I don't like posting tweets bc they often disappear. I'll try to find this on YT but, for now, this'll do. The brothers singing Let It Be, acappella. Beautiful.

Tweet from 13 March 2023.
"On this day in 1988, Motown aired a documentary called“Michael Jackson ... The Legend Continues”about MJ which included a clip of Jackson 5 performing the Beatles' song "Let it be".

His little snippet of “Speechless,” in “This Is It.”

I wouldn’t call it his best vocal, or even a standout. But the fact that it was an off-the-cuff thing (sung at half-strength by a 50-year-old man in declining health) and it still sounded lovely, just blows my mind.
@AlwaysThere, Michael was in rehearsal for a series of LIVE shows. And so, it would have been really unreasonable for ANYONE —— whether the general public as a whole or any one of his fans in particular, whatever the case —— to have expected him to perform as if he were already onstage putting on a full concert, when he himself said to his band members that he was “trying to save [his] voice”/“conserve [his] throat” for the right “moment” when he actually NEEDED to, and when it was time for him to, perform in front of the audiences who paid to see him. True, Michael was almost 51 years old (in 2009), and he hadn’t been onstage performing since his “HIStoryWorld Tour ended in 1997, at least a dozen years before.

We have to take into account that other far more important things went on in his life as well, things outside of him being onstage and performing in front of an audience. Things such as his having become a father, his family responsibilities and raising his children, for instance. Not to mention the physical, mental, psychological and emotional stress of his having been falsely accused for the second time and having endured the court proceedings of the 2005 criminal trial against him!!!

He went through a whole lot in those years, and it is a wonder that he was able to even attempt to come back to rehearse and prepare FOR one show —— let alone for a whole series of concerts in London —— given what he went through. And yet, in spite of all these things, he was STILL able to sing that brief little snippet of “Speechless” as BEAUTIFULLY as he had sung it in the recording studio about a decade or so earlier, with just his voice and absolutely NO “help” from any studio equipment of any kind.

But, MJ said “Heaven Can Wait,” so how is his voice “heavenly”? Checkmate, Atheists.
Oh, my goodness gracious, @Mister_Jay_Tee!!! What do you mean by that? You obviously must neither understand the whole entire point of this thread (the sound of his singing-voice), nor the lyrics to the song.

Last edited:
@AlwaysThere, Michael was in rehearsal for a series of LIVE shows. And so, it would have been really unreasonable for ANYONE —— whether the general public as a whole or any one of his fans in particular, whatever the case —— to have expected him to perform as if he were already onstage putting on a full concert, when he himself said to his band members that he was “trying to save [his] voice”/“conserve [his] throat” for the right “moment” when he actually NEEDED to, and when it was time for him to, perform in front of the audiences who paid to see him. True, Michael was almost 51 years old (in 2009), and he hadn’t been onstage performing since his “HIStoryWorld Tour ended in 1997, at least a dozen years before.

We have to take into account that other far more important things went on in his life as well, things outside of him being onstage and performing in front of an audience. Things such as his having become a father, his family responsibilities and raising his children, for instance. Not to mention the physical, mental, psychological and emotional stress of his having been falsely accused for the second time and having endured the court proceedings of the 2005 criminal trial against him!!!

He went through a whole lot in those years, and it is a wonder that he was able to even attempt to come back to rehearse and prepare FOR one show —— let alone for a whole series of concerts in London —— given what he went through. And yet, in spite of all these things, he was STILL able to sing that brief little snippet of “Speechless” as BEAUTIFULLY as he had sung it in the recording studio about a decade or so earlier, with just his voice and absolutely NO “help” from any studio equipment of any kind.
Beautifully described 👏

Why you wanna trip on me and shout maybe also privacy and 2000 watts

Fly Away is SO amazing, that it makes me feel like I’m ascending into heaven and TOTALLY happy to be doing so.
I completely agree with you, @staywild23. Both Michael’s and his oldest sister Rebbie’s versions of “Fly Away” are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Especially, the background vocals he had sung in the Upper Register of his voice on Rebbie’s version of the song (from her 1998 album, “Yours, Faithfully”), that we don’t hear nearly as much of on his original 1987 “BAD”-album version, since the earlier version fades out just at the point when his voice starts to ascend upwards into this range. On the newer one, almost towards the end, it sounds like he and Rebbie are kind of “duetting” with each other, with her voice and his Upper Register. Rebbie, herself, is a great vocalist in her own right, in my honest opinion. Don’t you think so?

Last edited:
You Were There” (for Sammy Davis, Jr.) is a beauty.

And, “(I Like) The Way You Love Me” also deserves its shine.
@Mister_Jay_Tee, I agree with you, wholeheartedly, about the song “You Were There.” What a great song “You Were There” truly IS, with such a moving, powerful and fitting message in its lyrics. Michael gave a wonderful tribute to one of his dearest, closest friends —— a man who should rightfully be considered as one of THE BEST all-around entertainers who had ever lived, who was also one of Michael’s biggest career-influences/mentors/inspirations as well —— the great Sammy Davis, Jr., in honor of and tribute to his 60 years in show-business. Of course, he sang the lyrics BEAUTIFULLY and had expressed/conveyed their meaning quite well. That last sentence of the song had really driven home THE point that, if it were not for Sammy Davis, Jr. and others of his era/generation, who would have known if Michael (along with other popular young entertainers of the Late-1960’s, ’70’s and beyond) had a career that eventually would have become as successful as it did or not? Previous generations have always paved the way for the next ones to come.

Now, as for the song, “The Way You Love Me,” I would much rather prefer to listen to the 2004 original Demo version —— minus the extra “(I Like)” in the posthumously-released title of the 2010 version on the “MICHAEL” album, minus any talking and other unnecessary stuff —— that just has great “SSAANNGGG-ing”/vocals and NOTHING else. . . .PERIOD. I LOVE the ascending vocals and instrumental chords, the “beat-boxing” and the humming he did at the end of the original, that the posthumous release doesn’t have.

Last edited:
Back