Michael's pitch in studio vs on stage

Mister_Jay_Tee

Proud Member
Donations
$1.00
MJ at times preferred his voice in the higher range on recording to the point of pitching up songs (Bad album, Tabloid Junkie)

Yet Keep The Faith was in a lower tone.

And for certain live shows he pitched songs down (Beat It, TWYMMF, APOM)

What was his rationale usually? Let's just talk about it.

MJ at times preferred his voice in the higher range on recording to the point of pitching up songs (Bad album, Tabloid Junkie)

And for certain live shows he pitched songs down (Beat It, TWYMMF, APOM)

What was his rationale usually? Let's just talk about it.
The live shows were sped up for energy. They slowed down drastically after the bad tour. Dk about the album versions

Songs were sang in lower keys live because they were easier to sing, especially while dancing and moving around. In the cases where songs were pitched up on albums, it was more so done because they were sped up in order to be more danceable and energetic, not because of the preference of a higher key.

So, they were never “pitched up”, the pitching up came as a result of increasing the tempo. Keep The Faith was only lowered slightly after Michael‘s voice broke several times while recording the song. They realised that the key was slightly too high for Michael.

His live singing started going downhill during the Bad Tour because of his health issues (especially lupus), combined with singing while dancing vigorously is really hard, and his health wasn't great.

It's easier to sing songs in a lower key in most cases. (The exceptions being the rare song that is on the low end of a performer's range)

Keep The Faith was only lowered slightly after Michael‘s voice broke several times while recording the song. They realised that the key was slightly too high for Michael.
In that case why not pitch the vocal back up to where he wanted it?

The thing is he did all that during the lip sync eras too, not just Bad. So why also pitch down the lip sync of songs too? It wasn't often but still. Beat It 2001 was one.

The thing is he did all that during the lip sync eras too, not just Bad. So why also pitch down the lip sync of songs too? It wasn't often but still. Beat It 2001 was one.
He was singing beat it live after the guitar solo. You can hear him struggling singing that song in the original key during the history tour. Previously he had never sung beat it in its original key, except for Munich 92, so it made sense for him to lower it again in 2001.

Singing in a higher pitch puts strain on vocals.....most live performances you hear today, the artists usually sing in a lower pitch to better preserve their voices
Exactly. This ain’t a MJ thing. It happens a lot.

He was singing beat it live after the guitar solo. You can hear him struggling singing that song in the original key during the history tour. Previously he had never sung beat it in its original key, except for Munich 92, so it made sense for him to lower it again in 2001.
I think Munich 1992 is a speed up tape

That's a fair point. That makes sense.

I guess the Victory Tour Rendition is lower too.

In that case why not pitch the vocal back up to where he wanted it?
As I said, as long as there wasn’t a need for them to speed up songs, I don’t think anybody particularly preferred having the songs be in a higher key.

Perhaps, in this case, everybody agreed that there was no need to pitch the song up as it was just as powerful in the lower key.

As I said, as long as there wasn’t a need for them to speed up songs, I don’t think anybody particularly preferred having the songs be in a higher key.

Perhaps, in this case, everybody agreed that there was no need to pitch the song up as it was just as powerful in the lower key.
The lower tone honestly makes the song for me, I enjoy that part of it. So I'm not fussed. But it would be interesting to hear it pitched up.

On certain songs (on the albums), his voice was pitched down apparently for a more dramatic feel (such as, 'Privacy', '2000 Watts', etc).
If Michael Jackson did not damage his vocal cords from the 'BAD' Tour, then he would have been able to record and release 'Keep The Faith' in its original, higher tone.
In the cases where songs were pitched up on albums, it was more so done because they were sped up in order to be more danceable and energetic, not because of the preference of a higher key.
It had to do mainly with the fact that they wanted these songs to sound more radio-friendly (for example, Brad Sundberg confirmed that for songs on the 'BAD' album).

Songs were sang in lower keys live because they were easier to sing, especially while dancing and moving around. In the cases where songs were pitched up on albums, it was more so done because they were sped up in order to be more danceable and energetic, not because of the preference of a higher key.

So, they were never “pitched up”, the pitching up came as a result of increasing the tempo. Keep The Faith was only lowered slightly after Michael‘s voice broke several times while recording the song. They realised that the key was slightly too high for Michael.
That's partially correct, when it comes to the BAD album.

They sped up many of the BAD tracks due to the album itself being too long for vinyl, with the 20-22 minute time limit for side A & B. Similar methods were done for certain tracks on Triumph, Thriller, etc.

Anything else after the 80s period, when CDs became more dominating, was for creative reasons or otherwise.

That's partially correct, when it comes to the BAD album.

They sped up many of the BAD tracks due to the album itself being too long for vinyl, with the 20-22 minute time limit for side A & B. Similar methods were done for certain tracks on Triumph, Thriller, etc.

Anything else after the 80s period, when CDs became more dominating, was for creative reasons or otherwise.
Yeah, you’re correct. My point was that I don’t believe any song in Michael’s catalogue was pitched up due to the preference of it being in a higher key, but rather as a result of the speeding up process. Tabloid Junkie is another example of that.

I’m also pretty certain that, at one point, Brad Sundberg said that, at least The Way You Make Me Feel, was sped up because the song had more energy when played faster.

Back