Michael's vocal director says he only used 30 seconds of lip syncing per concert

Firstly he didn’t say “30 seconds per concert”. That’s just your interpretation. He could have very well meant 30 seconds per song.

Regardless, we know that what he’s saying is not true. There is not much more to say on that. Besides, Kevin Dorsey being the vocal director, would not have even been in charge of the lip-synching. That would be done by some of the sound engineers and technicians taking care of the mix.

He is still in the industry not wishing to dish dirt. Anyone with ears and a familiarity with the albums can tell what is playback and what is live. It's interesting what he said about the One Night Only special.

Is it money that you want? Will that stop all discourse on lipsyncing? I'll do anything to never see this ever again

Its surprising how many casuals think Munich 97 is completely live.
Because being Michael, he lip-synced it to perfection :)
When I saw it for the first time, I was also not sure which part is lip-synced, though after hearing WBSS, some adlibs and see him dance it's very clear he is not singing live. Which is great because I don't want to hear him huffing and puffing or compromising on the dancing either.

mJ was basically a professional dancer who just so happened to have also had a career as a singer.

After a certain point, I just enjoy watching it in the same way I'd watch a dance competition. I didn't really have to sit and enjoy the vocals for authencity.
Similar. I consider the concerts to be akin to movies now. I just enjoy what's happening on telly.

Back