Mini MJ Vinyl Haul...

staywild23

Premium Member
Country
United-States
... and story time, because it wouldn't be a post from me if it didn't involve a whole ass narrative.

So a couple of days ago I was shopping and overspending -- all to avoid grading (a theme) -- and I did my usual pop into the big chain bookstore (which shall remain nameless) to check on the Michael Jackson content and make sure it was front and center where it belonged. This has become a habit of mine in the last year anytime I go to literally any store with a music section. Typically I will check to see if there are any MJ books (there are never any since they sold their one copy of Moonwalk in May of 2022...yes, I am a freak, no I don't care to focus on this in therapy), then I will go to the vinyl, organize it, make sure at least one is visible in front of all the other J artists (🤦‍♀️), then I will do the same with the CDs (the organization part, not the de-alphabetizing). Usually I will move anything that is not Thriller to the front to remind the general public that albums aside from Thriller exist, and this is my service to the universe for the day. I will also visit the magazine rack and scour to see if there are any MJ-related magazine covers or features. Typically there are zero (while there are always at least 5,000 Beatles covers and at least 50 Prince covers, but I digress...). All of this only takes about 3 minutes total, don't worry.

Nevertheless, I ventured to the store and was happy to see that since the last time I was there a couple weeks ago only ONE vinyl album remained. Last time there were several copies of Thriller, Bad, and Off the Wall, along with a few Jackson 5 albums. There were also only a handful of CDs left. Last time there was a huge selection of CDs, including all of his adult solo albums and several other compilations. No books, of course, because God forbid the biggest artist in history have more books than Jamie Lynn Spears. Oh well. I'm always happy to see MJ's albums are being sold in spite of the total lack of promotion. It frustrates me to go into any music store, or section in the entirety of America and see countless Beatles, Rolling Stones, Prince, Pink Floyd, hell, even Frank Zappa posters, and no MJ. Nothing against any of them, obviously. But you know. It's a trend.

All of this, of course, had me feeling driven to go to a real record store and see what I might find in the deep crevices of a dusty shelf. So I traveled to a record store a few towns away I've only visited once almost a year ago. The last time I went, I was shocked to see MJ was not categorized with pop rock, but with soul. I'm not complaining about him being categorized as a soul artist, but was very confused because of how difficult it made it to find his albums. Rather than being in main stacks and at standing level, his collection was on the bottom shelf (along with the entire soul section) in a dark, shadowy area and frankly, I just do not appreciate it. But that aside, the inventory at this entire store is amazing, so it is worth spending time there. So this time, rather than even pretending I was looking for any other artist (I wasn't) I marched in wearing my MJ t-shirt (I am such a fan girl, it is nauseating) and went straight to the dark dusty corner and sat on the floor and looked through all of the vinyl.

Some reflections:

Multiple copies of every adult solo album, minus HIStory, which I realize is the unicorn of the MJ vinyl world, but still. Multiple pictures discs (why), multiple compilations from the motown/early Jacksons days, and some Jackson 5 albums. Also, SO MANY JERMAINE JACKSON ALBUMS. Sorry, Jermaine. I didn't even look at them. But I'm happy for you. I had no idea, man. Since I own most of these already, of these LPs I ended up buying J5 Third Album and Jacksons Victory. In truth, the main reason I went to this record store is I was looking for Triumph or Destiny, but these are coveted so I didn't really expect it, plus I'll take what is available!

But then I recalled that there is a room of 45s that no one ever goes in. The last time I went I was with my husband who, God love him, is supportive as hell of the perpetual affair I am having with MJ in my deluded little head 24/7, but could not survive an hour of me thumbing through cardboard boxes of disorganized 45s. So, you know, this was my shot.

So I started with the "organized" boxes, sorting through hundreds of "Jacksons" 45s (there are a lot of artists with that last name, y'know?) and finding quite a bit, including a few you'll see pictured below. This was exciting enough for me. I was born in 1988. I am not exactly of the generation of 45s, or of the generation of TRUE Michael Mania, so anything that gets me in touch with that time in a more authentic way sends me into a bit of a frenzy. Finding a 45 of The Girl is Mine with "November 1982" scrawled on it made me lose my mind with excitement. How else can I explain it than this? I wasn't there for it, so touching something that was makes me feel just a tiny bit closer to it. Does that make any kind of sense?

I felt the same way when I found the "Get on the Floor" 45 -- my favorite song from Off the Wall...

and the "Lovely One" 45, which immediately made me think of Michael's 1987 hips, which immediately made me pass out, but when I came too, I was determined to purchase it.

I was happy enough with all of this, but then as I was getting ready to leave this room I saw from the corner of my eye BAD MICHAEL and his Bad (good...perfect...godly?) face on the cover of a 45 in the "unorganized" section, which led me to another hour of my life, sorting through an entire shelf and finding FOUR of these beautiful 45s with the "cover and everything" (Michael Jackson, Ebony Jet, 1987) and my entire life felt complete.

So needless to say, I went home and immediately spent hours (and hours, and hours) trying out all of these. Let me be clear. I am no collector and I am no audiophile. I just want a piece of everything in this life that I cannot have. I cannot have Michael and I cannot have the 1980s, but I can have 40 year old 45s if I pay $3 for each one of them, so this is where I am at. My great dream in life, upon buying these, but especially with purchasing "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", was that I would be able to own the original release of something, anything. I especially wanted a version that contained the spoken intro of the song. Six months ago I bought 2 used copies of the Bad CD because I somehow convinced myself at least one of them would have to have the spoken intro (I had a whole theory about why, but it is too heartbreakingly naive and wrong to recount to you now). I just wasn't sure if this would happen...

But guess what?

So, after hours of exploration of this new addition to my collection, I finally put this one on. I prepared myself emotionally, physically, pubescently. I've said this before and I will say it again now, I am absolutely certain that if I were an adolescent when IJCSLY was released instead of a yet-to-be-formed fetus, I would have been catapulted through puberty at record speed (ha!) upon hearing this intro. It tears me apart with a gentle fury. Nevertheless, owning the original release containing this intro did not disappoint. I am disgusting with happiness. That's all I will say about this.

So in all, this is the total purchase:

It was a great trip, not just for the purchases I made, but because it was genuinely just so much fun to experience the joy of discovering these little gems in the dusty corners. I enjoyed the hell out of myself and I appreciate you indulging me :)

Oh, also! Before I left this town I remembered that the last time I visited this record store, I also stopped at a retro video game store and comic book shop and spotted a Michael Jackson cardboard cut out. So, naturally, I had to stop by and see if he was still here. Much to my glee, he was! So I will end there -- a picture of Michael on my first visit a year ago and my second visit a few days ago.

APRIL 2022

February 2023

I guess he got cold :)

@staywild23 Your usage of "pubescently" had me rolling on the floor! :ROFLMAO: I think I might have to get my notebook again on that one, lol.

So did the cutouts LOL first the hat, then the sweater and an even bigger hat... It just looks so silly in a good way. :ROFLMAO:

Also, a confession... I've never actually heard the spoken intro of IJCSLY. 😳 Yes, I am a horrible heretic... It's just that I usually listen to music on Spotify so sometimes, stuff like this just escapes my mind completely. I do sometimes check YouTube for songs that aren't on Spotify, but sometimes I forget. I really should check it out real soon!! I feel like I'm missing out, haha. ("I was in the bed when I was doing that"... No, this is not the thread... But ahhhh!!!!!)

@staywild23 Your usage of "pubescently" had me rolling on the floor! :ROFLMAO: I think I might have to get my notebook again on that one, lol.
Sometimes when a reaction is unhinged enough, it's the only word that makes sense lol

So did the cutouts LOL first the hat, then the sweater and an even bigger hat... It just looks so silly in a good way. :ROFLMAO:
It is so 'effing adorable isn't it? Oh, Michael. The first time I went there and saw it I was so overwhelmed with excitement I almost screamed. I just was not expecting it at all. My husband was like "should I steal it for you?" and I giggled maniacally, playing coy, all like "what would we ever do with that in our house?!" all the while in my head being like "but, like, why are you asking, just do it..." and of course he did not. But it made me so happy to see that he is still there!

Also, Michael would be thrilled to be in a random retro video game/comic book store in a small town somewhere, right? I mean, I feel like this might be his first choice for the type of store he'd want to be featured in.

Also, a confession... I've never actually heard the spoken intro of IJCSLY. 😳
WHAT?!?!?!?!

Yes, I am a horrible heretic... It's just that I usually listen to music on Spotify so sometimes, stuff like this just escapes my mind completely.
Since I've heard it, it has never once left my mind.... lol

I do sometimes check YouTube for songs that aren't on Spotify, but sometimes I forget. I really should check it out real soon!! I feel like I'm missing out, haha.
Girl. I don't mean to oversell it, or whatever, but.... I mean...

("I was in the bed when I was doing that"... No, this is not the thread... But ahhhh!!!!!)
Let's be clear about something. Any thread I start can turn into that thread. I'm ok with it. I invite it lol.

Multiple copies of every adult solo album, minus HIStory, which I realize is the unicorn of the MJ vinyl world, but still. Multiple pictures discs (why), multiple compilations from the motown/early Jacksons days, and some Jackson 5 albums.
HIStory is impossible to find anywhere, apart from the goddamn picture discs for 100$.

Also, SO MANY JERMAINE JACKSON ALBUMS. Sorry, Jermaine. I didn't even look at them.
Jermaine is all over record stores. In my country, as well. Everywhere. Haha.

I ended up buying J5 Third Album
This one has so many gems...

I am absolutely certain that if I were an adolescent when IJCSLY was released instead of a yet-to-be-formed fetus, I would have been catapulted through puberty at record speed (ha!) upon hearing this intro. It tears me apart with a gentle fury.
Oh God... The intro... If I had the single with the spoken intro, I'd cry while holding it, before even playing it!

How dare they cover this amazing, timeless outfit with a sweatshirt?! Take it off! I'd love to have a picture with this cutout. And marry it.

Also, a confession... I've never actually heard the spoken intro of IJCSLY. 😳 Yes, I am a horrible heretic...
Yes, you are a horrible heretic. :p

I envy you guys in the States, you are probably able to find so many MJ records in your stores!

HIStory is impossible to find anywhere, apart from the goddamn picture discs for 100$.
I have not even seen HIStory picture discs in stores, actually. I have never seen a HIStory album in person. UNICORN 🦄

Jermaine is all over record stores. In my country, as well. Everywhere. Haha.
Oh, Jermaine. I will bypass you, forever. Sorry.

Oh God... The intro... If I had the single with the spoken intro, I'd cry while holding it, before even playing it!
I did some version of a scream/squeal and when I discovered that it had the intro on it I lost my f***ing mind.

How dare they cover this amazing, timeless outfit with a sweatshirt?! Take it off! I'd love to have a picture with this cutout. And marry it.
I actually thought about taking it off 😂 But then I thought about MJ being cold in the studio and thought maybe he appreciated wearing a sweatshirt in the winter time...

I envy you guys in the States, you are probably able to find so many MJ records in your stores!
I have no idea what other people have experienced, but this is the only record store I've ever gone to like this. Every time I got it's typically only Thriller and Bad and Maybe ABC. But usually that's it. I've gone to a lot of record stores in search of MJ vinyl and it's so rare to encounter anything like this place. I'm *extremely* grateful though!

So I started with the "organized" boxes, sorting through hundreds of "Jacksons" 45s (there are a lot of artists with that last name, y'know?) and finding quite a bit, including a few you'll see pictured below. This was exciting enough for me. I was born in 1988. I am not exactly of the generation of 45s, or of the generation of TRUE Michael Mania, so anything that gets me in touch with that time in a more authentic way sends me into a bit of a frenzy. Finding a 45 of The Girl is Mine with "November 1982" scrawled on it made me lose my mind with excitement. How else can I explain it than this? I wasn't there for it, so touching something that was makes me feel just a tiny bit closer to it. Does that make any kind of sense?
Yes.

I know you already had some Michael vinyl but now you REALLY get it. Or that's how it seems to me. This is what it is like. Owning tangible things. Things that carry the energy and feel and spirit and excitement of the content that they are delivering to you. I speak as someone who can't be arsed with vinyl any more - been there, done that - but I understand and remember and think it's great that other people are getting that connection. CD's are not the same but they are still tangible so they still count. Vinyl is like a book. It holds memories and energy like nothing else. And old vinyl from back in the day is heavy. Modern vinyl is quite a bit lighter in weight.

And, yeah, that excitement of not knowing what you're gonna find. Can't be matched. Often when I'm posting music I try to find the YT channel that has the song represented by the record. I just wanna see the label. And if it's a record I actually owned, omg!

I loved every second of this story!

Yes.

I know you already had some Michael vinyl but now you REALLY get it.
Oh absolutely! To be clear, though, I've had vinyl for a long time. Back when I first got into Dylan I started getting into buying up as much vinyl as possible. I actually own 30+ Dylan records, some brand new, but most used. Some legit bootlegs too. But it's been awhile since I've been in my real phase of buying vinyl because it has to have a significant emotional tie for me to want to buy it. I own roughly 200 records, which is a fairly small collection. Like I said, I am not a collector or audiophile AT ALL. It is the emotion that draws me to these things. But with Michael, it is SO hard to find the original of anything without spending a ton of money.

Or that's how it seems to me. This is what it is like. Owning tangible things. Things that carry the energy and feel and spirit and excitement of the content that they are delivering to you.
100%!!! This is what makes original vinyl so exciting compared to new vinyl, too. This is why I was so excited about the 45s, too!

I speak as someone who can't be arsed with vinyl any more - been there, done that - but I understand and remember and think it's great that other people are getting that connection. CD's are not the same but they are still tangible so they still count.
Right! And I'm of the CD generation, so they just don't hold the same excitement to me. But I've started buying CDs again because of Michael (of course lol).

Vinyl is like a book. It holds memories and energy like nothing else.
YES! Exactly ❤️

And, yeah, that excitement of not knowing what you're gonna find. Can't be matched. Often when I'm posting music I try to find the YT channel that has the song represented by the record. I just wanna see the label. And if it's a record I actually owned, omg!
yessssss ❤️

I loved every second of this story!
I'm so glad! I know it was a lot, so most people won't read it all. But I knew certain people would :)

100%!!! This is what makes original vinyl so exciting compared to new vinyl, too. This is why I was so excited about the 45s, too!
Funnily enough, I was in a vintage vinyl record shop a week ago. Wasn't buying, they just had some of my records in the window and I couldn't resist. So I'm browsing through the singles and see one by Status Quo. Blew my mind bc it was on the Vertigo label. I didn't know they were on that label (same label as Black Sabbath, legendary label design). Just to be able to make that little connection and get a bit of history was so lovely. He also had a single by Big Bill Broonzy (blues) and that was really exciting to see. Just pinned up on the wall, dead casual.

Right! And I'm of the CD generation, so they just don't hold the same excitement to me.
No, they really don't. I like them bc they are still tangible. But it's not the same.

But I've started buying CDs again because of Michael (of course lol).
The little poster inside Xscape!

And old vinyl from back in the day is heavy. Modern vinyl is quite a bit lighter in weight.

There was some chemical industry crisis that made them make thinner vinyl records ... I think it was in the early 80s. Those are not the best quality...

CD's are not the same but they are still tangible so they still count. Vinyl is like a book. It holds memories and energy like nothing else. And old vinyl from back in the day is heavy. Modern vinyl is quite a bit lighter in weight.

Long story short, CD has all technical advantages of vinyl, and for the only advantage left to vinyl is the cover being larger. Sadly, that's thecnical theory, because while CD could have been the "perfect format", they started destroying anything published on CD in the late 90s/early 2000s following a trend known as "loudness war".
And well made vinyl records are better than poorly made CDs.

I think nowadays, owning "quality files" is fine too (but they suffer the same trend as CD) ... the big difference for me is between owning something or having to depend on a subscriptions and streaming services over the Internet (which is a deal breaker for me for anything else than "discovery").

Last edited:
Finding a 45 of The Girl is Mine with "November 1982"

Not check, not sure if already said because I don't have time go over the whole text right now but that single looks like the promo that has the alternative versions of The Girl Is Mine, including an instrumental part instead of the "rap" part. (To be checked.)

Not check, not sure if already said because I don't have time go over the whole text right now but that single looks like the promo that has the alternative versions of The Girl Is Mine, including an instrumental part instead of the "rap" part. (To be checked.)
You know what? In my excitement, I didn't actually get through both sides completely, but both sides are TGIM. I played a bit of each side, flipping it over to see if the songs were obviously different upon immediate play, but didn't notice so I moved on quickly and planned to return to it. I actually thought it was a promotional release and wondered how it might differ. Thanks for explaining! I will check this soon and report back!

There was some chemical industry crisis that made them make thinner vinyl records ... I think it was in the early 80s. Those are not the best quality...
Actually, I don't remember 80's vinyl being lower quality. It was all good, we were all happy with it. I do have a copy of ELP's Pictures which I bought just a few years ago and that is definitely thinner than my original 1971 copy. I don't play it. It's just an artefact.

Actually, I don't remember 80's vinyl being lower quality. It was all good, we were all happy with it. I do have a copy of ELP's Pictures which I bought just a few years ago and that is definitely thinner than my original 1971 copy. I don't play it. It's just an artefact.

There are things you only notice when you start scrutinising and comparing release qualities... (my advice: don't get into that... I miss that time when I didn't care about any flaws :) ). My copy of Don't Stand Another Chance 12", in example, is very thin.
Ideally, serious releases mention vinyl weight.
I find multiple search results mentioning vinyl records being thin in the early 80s, those I checked don't have an explanation for it.

Other issues with recent releases is also that they can be very poorly packaged...

Last edited:
There things you only notice when you start scrutinising and comparing release qualities... (my advice: don't get into that... I miss that times when I didn't care about any flaws :) )
I admire people with this kind of knowledge, but I am also grateful I am not a person that gets into this stuff. I just get beyond excited about everything and nothing outside of scratches beyond playability really gets me down lol. It's a nice way to live.

... and story time, because it wouldn't be a post from me if it didn't involve a whole ass narrative.

So a couple of days ago I was shopping and overspending -- all to avoid grading (a theme) -- and I did my usual pop into the big chain bookstore (which shall remain nameless) to check on the Michael Jackson content and make sure it was front and center where it belonged. This has become a habit of mine in the last year anytime I go to literally any store with a music section. Typically I will check to see if there are any MJ books (there are never any since they sold their one copy of Moonwalk in May of 2022...yes, I am a freak, no I don't care to focus on this in therapy), then I will go to the vinyl, organize it, make sure at least one is visible in front of all the other J artists (🤦‍♀️), then I will do the same with the CDs (the organization part, not the de-alphabetizing). Usually I will move anything that is not Thriller to the front to remind the general public that albums aside from Thriller exist, and this is my service to the universe for the day. I will also visit the magazine rack and scour to see if there are any MJ-related magazine covers or features. Typically there are zero (while there are always at least 5,000 Beatles covers and at least 50 Prince covers, but I digress...). All of this only takes about 3 minutes total, don't worry.

Nevertheless, I ventured to the store and was happy to see that since the last time I was there a couple weeks ago only ONE vinyl album remained. Last time there were several copies of Thriller, Bad, and Off the Wall, along with a few Jackson 5 albums. There were also only a handful of CDs left. Last time there was a huge selection of CDs, including all of his adult solo albums and several other compilations. No books, of course, because God forbid the biggest artist in history have more books than Jamie Lynn Spears. Oh well. I'm always happy to see MJ's albums are being sold in spite of the total lack of promotion. It frustrates me to go into any music store, or section in the entirety of America and see countless Beatles, Rolling Stones, Prince, Pink Floyd, hell, even Frank Zappa posters, and no MJ. Nothing against any of them, obviously. But you know. It's a trend.

All of this, of course, had me feeling driven to go to a real record store and see what I might find in the deep crevices of a dusty shelf. So I traveled to a record store a few towns away I've only visited once almost a year ago. The last time I went, I was shocked to see MJ was not categorized with pop rock, but with soul. I'm not complaining about him being categorized as a soul artist, but was very confused because of how difficult it made it to find his albums. Rather than being in main stacks and at standing level, his collection was on the bottom shelf (along with the entire soul section) in a dark, shadowy area and frankly, I just do not appreciate it. But that aside, the inventory at this entire store is amazing, so it is worth spending time there. So this time, rather than even pretending I was looking for any other artist (I wasn't) I marched in wearing my MJ t-shirt (I am such a fan girl, it is nauseating) and went straight to the dark dusty corner and sat on the floor and looked through all of the vinyl.

Some reflections:

Multiple copies of every adult solo album, minus HIStory, which I realize is the unicorn of the MJ vinyl world, but still. Multiple pictures discs (why), multiple compilations from the motown/early Jacksons days, and some Jackson 5 albums. Also, SO MANY JERMAINE JACKSON ALBUMS. Sorry, Jermaine. I didn't even look at them. But I'm happy for you. I had no idea, man. Since I own most of these already, of these LPs I ended up buying J5 Third Album and Jacksons Victory. In truth, the main reason I went to this record store is I was looking for Triumph or Destiny, but these are coveted so I didn't really expect it, plus I'll take what is available!

But then I recalled that there is a room of 45s that no one ever goes in. The last time I went I was with my husband who, God love him, is supportive as hell of the perpetual affair I am having with MJ in my deluded little head 24/7, but could not survive an hour of me thumbing through cardboard boxes of disorganized 45s. So, you know, this was my shot.

I felt the same way when I found the "Get on the Floor" 45 -- my favorite song from Off the Wall...

and the "Lovely One" 45, which immediately made me think of Michael's 1987 hips, which immediately made me pass out, but when I came too, I was determined to purchase it.

I was happy enough with all of this, but then as I was getting ready to leave this room I saw from the corner of my eye BAD MICHAEL and his Bad (good...perfect...godly?) face on the cover of a 45 in the "unorganized" section, which led me to another hour of my life, sorting through an entire shelf and finding FOUR of these beautiful 45s with the "cover and everything" (Michael Jackson, Ebony Jet, 1987) and my entire life felt complete.

So needless to say, I went home and immediately spent hours (and hours, and hours) trying out all of these. Let me be clear. I am no collector and I am no audiophile. I just want a piece of everything in this life that I cannot have. I cannot have Michael and I cannot have the 1980s, but I can have 40 year old 45s if I pay $3 for each one of them, so this is where I am at. My great dream in life, upon buying these, but especially with purchasing "I Just Can't Stop Loving You", was that I would be able to own the original release of something, anything. I especially wanted a version that contained the spoken intro of the song. Six months ago I bought 2 used copies of the Bad CD because I somehow convinced myself at least one of them would have to have the spoken intro (I had a whole theory about why, but it is too heartbreakingly naive and wrong to recount to you now). I just wasn't sure if this would happen...

But guess what?

So, after hours of exploration of this new addition to my collection, I finally put this one on. I prepared myself emotionally, physically, pubescently. I've said this before and I will say it again now, I am absolutely certain that if I were an adolescent when IJCSLY was released instead of a yet-to-be-formed fetus, I would have been catapulted through puberty at record speed (ha!) upon hearing this intro. It tears me apart with a gentle fury. Nevertheless, owning the original release containing this intro did not disappoint. I am disgusting with happiness. That's all I will say about this.

So in all, this is the total purchase:

It was a great trip, not just for the purchases I made, but because it was genuinely just so much fun to experience the joy of discovering these little gems in the dusty corners. I enjoyed the hell out of myself and I appreciate you indulging me :)
(So before I start, just wanna say that I'm replying on your first paragraph) I do the same thing when I go to stores with music sections. I always go the vinyl section first and then the CDs (it's a tradition at this point) and I look for all the Michael Jackson ones and reorganize them to the very front so everyone could see them. I do the same for the CDs but normally (for the store I go to) there is only one MJ CD and it is always in front so the second half of my work is already complete. But I also wanna say that one time (and one time only) I noticed a HIStory vinyl and I was with my dad and I begged him for me to get it but at that time I didn't have my record player yet and what was the point of getting a vinyl with no player. When I got my player I went back to the store to see it was not there. I was quite disappointed.
(also if this gets 5 loves then I'll say the name of the store where I found the HIStory vinyl) I mean you don't to love if you don't want too.

Back