Miscellaneous MJ Questions - do you know the answers?

vernagold

Proud Member
Hi, I'm new here and am just in awe of the everyone's knowledge. I've read a lot of MJ books, but there's still a lot more I would like to know about so I thought you would be the people to ask.

I don't want to start lots of new threads so thought maybe I could just start this one where people could ask and answer little questions that don't warrant their own individual threads.

My first question is: How did Princess Stephanie of Monaco become the 'Mystery Girl' on In the Closet? Was she a friend of Michael's (I've never read of them meeting before)or did someone else involved in the production ask her to become involved?

Thank you in advance!

vernagold;4093141 said:
Hi, I'm new here and am just in awe of the everyone's knowledge. I've read a lot of MJ books, but there's still a lot more I would like to know about so I thought you would be the people to ask.

I don't want to start lots of new threads so thought maybe I could just start this one where people could ask and answer little questions that don't warrant their own individual threads.

My first question is: How did Princess Stephanie of Monaco become the 'Mystery Girl' on In the Closet? Was she a friend of Michael's (I've never read of them meeting before)or did someone else involved in the production ask her to become involved?

Thank you in advance!

MJ had originally chosen Madonna but a disagreement over the lyrics ended that collaboration.

Later, MJ realized (after hearing one of her albums) that Princess Stephanie had the type of voice that was perfect for the spoken part of ‘In the Closet’.

Their meeting in Los Angeles lasted only one day.

Her name was not revealed at that time because it was supposed to be a contest regarding the identity of the ‘Mystery Girl’.

(Princess Stephanie interview, Radio Monaco, 15.07.2009)

Ahh, thank you. I had read in 'The Man in the Music' that it was originally meant to be a collaboration with Madonna but it didn't go into any further detail about Princess Stephanie and I didn't know that she had released albums herself.

I'd be interested in people's opinions on something else. In interviews I've read and seen with various people, some say MJ lived for live performance, that being on stage was where he was happiest. Other's say though that he much preferred being in the studio or making short films though, because a live performance was so ephemeral and so felt a bit pointless, and that was why he hadn't toured for so long before This Is It. Which version do you think is closer to the truth?

Ahh, thank you. I had read in 'The Man in the Music' that it was originally meant to be a collaboration with Madonna but it didn't go into any further detail about Princess Stephanie and I didn't know that she had released albums herself.

I'd be interested in people's opinions on something else. In interviews I've read and seen with various people, some say MJ lived for live performance, that being on stage was where he was happiest. Other's say though that he much preferred being in the studio or making short films though, because a live performance was so ephemeral and so felt a bit pointless, and that was why he hadn't toured for so long before This Is It. Which version do you think is closer to the truth?
Michael's version of events seems to be closer to the truth,but it's a stretch because we don't really know the truth of whether or not he was happiest on stage or in the studio. It's debatable,but I'd say he was way happier on stage.

Michael loved to perform; that is inarguable. However, he hated the rigor, stress, and overall hassle of touring. He mentioned for many years he wanted to work in film and movies. It was probably a little bit of everything.

There were things he could perfect in studio that could not be duplicated onstage, though he tried. However, there were ways to bring his music and message to life on stage that I'm sure he was happy for, things that we can only subjectively, individually imagine from his studio recordings.

Michael was happiest making others happy and creating his art - I don't think it really mattered in the end what type of art that was. It's subjective and I'd imagine it could change. Only he knows.

vernagold;4093225 said:

Although I understand that recording in the studio or making short film were integral parts of MJ’s creative nature that (undeniably) made him happy, I think that being on stage in front of his fans made him happiest.

MJ expressed his eagerness for live performances on numerous occasions, for example:

“I love performing, I wish I could sleep on stage.” (Living with Michael Jackson, 2003)

“I miss the fans. That's my chance to get to really, you know, see them and, feel their presence.”
(Diane Sawyer, 1995)

“We put our hearts in performing and every night I give my all on stage…as soon as the lights hit you and hear the roar from a hundred thousand people it’s just magic, totally magic and I never get used to that and I’ve done it all my life.” (Japan 1996)

Also, I do not think that MJ thought that his shows were ephemeral or pointless. If that was true, then his concerts would not have been record-breaking in almost every city he visited.

Of course, being on stage took a toll on him, that’s why he was probably unsure about embarking on a new world tour in the early ‘00s.

Haha. I think it's cool that you're impressed with this. If this had been a comment on yahoo or YouTube, people would be saying "who?"

Me and my friend love Grace Kelly! She stars in one of my favourite films ever - Rear Window! :D

Do you think Michael ever got stage-fright or, because he had been performing for so long, was it just 'another day at the office' for him?

Do you think Michael ever got stage-fright or, because he had been performing for so long, was it just 'another day at the office' for him?

He said many times that he felt the most comfortable on stage. He even slept with the lights on because it reminded him of being on stage

vernagold;4093321 said:

I think that MJ was looking forward to being on stage & never got stage-fright.

Probably being on stage was something more than a typical activity (‘another day at the office’) because MJ seemed to want always the emotional release (catharsis) that performing offered him.

Also, in the past, MJ addressed that absence of stage-fright (for example):

“I don't remember ever being afraid to go on stage. I'm more comfortable on stage than giving this interview right now!” (VH1 Interview, 1996)

or, when he was asked about getting stage-fright (while walking on the red carpet right before his MSG Anniversary shows). His answer was “Never”.

He said many times that he felt the most comfortable on stage. He even slept with the lights on because it reminded him of being on stage

OT but ngl this is probably a factor that messed up circadian rhythm and affected his insomnia. :(

Has the identity of the bandaged guy from Liberian Girl been revealed

Back