MJ Estate versus Melissa Johnson and HTWF /Update: Settlement Enforced - HTWF lost the Appeal

Re: MJ Estate versus Melissa Johnson and HTWF /Update: Settlement Enforced - HTWF filing Appeal

^^

How did you know? :) Just kidding

- request to file an extended brief
- request to file it unsealed
- request of an extension until January 3rd.

Re: MJ Estate versus Melissa Johnson and HTWF /Update: Settlement Enforced - HTWF filing Appeal

^^Here we go again people. At the front of the thread we should have something like a Table of Contents that only list the number of extensions.

I don't understand why this keeps getting more and more extensions. I thought they said enough. It never ends.

^^Here we go again people. At the front of the thread we should have something like a Table of Contents that only list the number of extensions.

:giggle:

Court has set an oral argument for March 5th

^^Let's see if there will be a postponement.

or extension:)

It looks like HTWF finally filed their reply brief.

A real reply brief or extension request reply:)

ahaha

a real reply brief. Given that the court already set an oral hearing date, it didn't look like they would allow any more extensions

It ain't overrrr

as you might know HTWF's brief was due December 18th. They filed asking for an extension request until Jan 3rd. They also asked to file an extended brief - first 10,000 words and then 12,000. Court did not rule on these requests. HTWF filed their reply on Jan 6th.

Estate just filed a motion asking
- to strike HTWF's reply brief
- to strike parts of exhibits / excerpts of record
- request for sanctions
- dismissal of appeal

They asked for to strike HTWF's reply brief because : HTWF filed their reply later than the extension they asked for (filed it Jan 6th instead of Jan3rd) and they filed an oversized brief even though the court did not allow it.

(Ivy's note: According to court rules a party has to file an extension request one week before due date. Court rules furthermore state if a party asks for an extension and the court doesn't rule on it, the party is expected to file their brief by the extension time they requested. )

They asked for to strike to strike parts of exhibits / excerpts of record because" HTWF included thousand pages of proposed trial exhibits which were never filed with the lower court as the trial did not happen.

And as they violated court rules, Estate is asking HTWF to be sanctioned and their appeal to be dismissed.

(Note: Estate is asking HTWF appeal to be dismissed based on not filing reply brief on time or alternatively stricken the reply brief)

Oh this is too much. This judge is making a mockery of the judicial system. Enough already. He claimed a long, long, long time ago that there will be no more extensions, but then break his own rulings. There was already a judgment in this case and yet it is continuing on into infinity. We need some more of those no-nonsense-stick-to-the-rules-and-regulation judges.

Next, her lawyers are going to drop her for lack of payment and another set of lawyers will start all over again. It's time for this to be dismissed.

Next, her lawyers are going to drop her for lack of payment and another set of lawyers will start all over again. It's time for this to be dismissed.

Oh that is right. It is about time for the next lawyer to enter the picture now. Look I even forgot that part of the scenario. It seems this is a play in repeat mode.

"And as they violated court rules, Estate is asking HTWF to be sanctioned and their appeal to be dismissed."

When do we get to know the result of this or is there any progress (other than the norm request for extension)?

"And as they violated court rules, Estate is asking HTWF to be sanctioned and their appeal to be dismissed."

When do we get to know the result of this or is there any progress (other than the norm request for extension)?

They just asked for another extension so what is the normal thing that happens after requesting for an extension? We may have to look back some pages to see. Whatever happened after the first request for an extension, will now happen. After all we have been doing this for more than a year now.

I know this case never ends and it gets confusing.

There's no active extension request. All of the documents - opening - reply - reply to reply - briefs is filed. Case is set for an oral hearing in March.

The only active things are Estate's request to dismiss the appeal due to late filing to reply to reply brief - in alternative they ask that reply to be not considered.

There's no way to know if and when the court would rule on it but I'm checking it regularly. If there's an update you'll know it in a day or two.

If you ask my opinion there's a oral hearing set for March so it wouldn't surprise me if they don't make a ruling on it. I think it's a possibility for them to wait, have the oral hearing and then consider the appeal and the Estate's request about the reply to reply brief simultaneously.

So in March we should get something. This case started on March 2011, so it will be 3 years since the start.
Lots of money spent for lawyers fees in this case, and I hope this time the estate won't let her go away without paying. Not that she has money anyways, but TM and other loonies can organise collection for it:)

By the way, we had "settlement enforced," and she appealed. By the time she appealed, had she accepted any money or benefits from the settlement, and would she have to give them back before she appealed the settlement? Does anyone understand my confusing question?

Guess what? HTWF lawyer has asked for a delay/ extension of oral hearing.

surprise.gif

Now that was a surprise - not.

Oh dear, even oral hearing, they want an extension for that. what is the excuse this time? has her current lawyer left already?

This is beyond a joke now.

^^Funny!! No need to say "Guess What." Just say, "Guys the usual happened." Now let's see if the judge will do the usual.

Bubs that giff is spot on!

The judge should do something already.

This is ridiculous. Is this woman just deliberately trying to waste the court's time now and stall the case? What is going on here?

what is the excuse this time? has her current lawyer left already?

the lawyer has other trials happening, that's the excuse.

There should be a way of imposing sanctions of some kind when this sort of thing is delayed time after time ad finitum. A hefty bill from those you are suing for their expenses would put a lot of people off from making claims, losing the case but carrying on regardless! In an ideal world I guess.

^^Well it is the judge that is allowing it, so the first person who should get a fine is the judge for making a ruling and then going against it. I understood the delays in the beginning, but after a while this repetition is just a joke. I guess the judge has some legal basis for what he does anyway.

Back