MJ's birthday streaming party!

katara

The thriller
I posted about this in the MJcharts update thread. @staywild23 and @zinniabooklover suggested I make a thread so I am.

What a streaming party is: It is essentially a virtual listening party. For a group of fans of an artist to all listen and interact about a specific album at a set specific time/date. Usually this is done to boost streams/ positions on the charts. It is mostly done via spotify because the data is available and it is free to create an account.

According to the current numbers, the album that is closest to it's next major milestone on spotify is HIStory. So I thought if I host a streaming party for it, it would benefit that album the most. Currently HIStory (disc 2 only) is 5 million streams away from 600m streams. I think if everyone that is interested in doing this listens to it specifically on spotify on the 29th it could really boost the visibility. HIStory is extrememly underrated to younger fans also. There is also a streaming party being hosted on twitter, but since not everyone is on twitter I thought why not post it here!

tumblr_nx1yng1dob1ucvdq8o3_500.gif

I posted about this in the MJcharts update thread. @staywild23 and @zinniabooklover suggested I make a thread so I am.

What a streaming party is: It is essentially a virtual listening party. For a group of fans of an artist to all listen and interact about a specific album at a set specific time/date. Usually this is done to boost streams/ positions on the charts. It is mostly done via spotify because the data is available and it is free to create an account.

According to the current numbers, the album that is closest to it's next major milestone on spotify is HIStory. So I thought if I host a streaming party for it, it would benefit that album the most. Currently HIStory (disc 2 only) is 5 million streams away from 600m streams. I think if everyone that is interested in doing this listens to it specifically on spotify on the 29th it could really boost the visibility. HIStory is extrememly underrated to younger fans also. There is also a streaming party being hosted on twitter, but since not everyone is on twitter I thought why not post it here!

tumblr_nx1yng1dob1ucvdq8o3_500.gif
I looooove this idea!!! HIStory is insanely underrated. I cannot believe it either because the entire album is genius to me. So yes, I am in!!

How does one find and join the party? Time? Details?
The party is essentially an all day streaming party because people have different time zones. The one thing I would say is to make a Spotify account if you haven’t already. It is free to join and listen. So what we would do is listen to the album tomorrow at any time and then post your reactions, song rankings, etc in this thread. So whenever you have time to listen to it and post is joining the party.

@katara i have a question... how do streams count for an album? Like does any stream of a single song from disc 2 count? Or does streaming the whole album count? Idk I feel like this is a dumb question lol

@katara i have a question... how do streams count for an album? Like does any stream of a single song from disc 2 count? Or does streaming the whole album count? Idk I feel like this is a dumb question lol

If you stream one song from the album, it counts towards the albums total streams. RIAA/certification company/billboard add up the total using a formula and then since the entire album is released it all counts towards the one total. The formula is Essentially, 1,250 premium streams, or 3,750 free streams, are equivalent to one album sale.

This would only counts for disc 2 as that is the new songs. Disc 1 total goes to their parent album ie, thriller for billie jean, black or white for dangerous etc. Only disc 2 counts for HIStory's streaming total and then converts to sales for that album.

So if there is a new remix/radio edit, etc of a song it creates a new track to stream towards that albums total. Black or white has split streams from dangerous and number ones because the dangerous version has the interlude and the number ones album is just the radio edit which is technically a different song.

number ones has 400m streams because of the radio edit versions of the songs counting towards the compliation and not the original album the song was originally released on. that's why number ones is on the charts so much.

the only song from "scream" that was released in 2017 that counts towards that album is the white panda remix. so even if people listened to that album it doesn't count towards the streams for it, only the original album the songs were on.

hope this makes sense for you.

If you stream one song from the album, it counts towards the albums total streams. RIAA/certification company/billboard add up the total using a formula and then since the entire album is released it all counts towards the one total. The formula is Essentially, 1,250 premium streams, or 3,750 free streams, are equivalent to one album sale.

This would only counts for disc 2 as that is the new songs. Disc 1 total goes to their parent album ie, thriller for billie jean, black or white for dangerous etc. Only disc 2 counts for HIStory's streaming total and then converts to sales for that album.

So if there is a new remix/radio edit, etc of a song it creates a new track to stream towards that albums total. Black or white has split streams from dangerous and number ones because the dangerous version has the interlude and the number ones album is just the radio edit which is technically a different song.

number ones has 400m streams because of the radio edit versions of the songs counting towards the compliation and not the original album the song was originally released on. that's why number ones is on the charts so much.

the only song from "scream" that was released in 2017 that counts towards that album is the white panda remix. so even if people listened to that album it doesn't count towards the streams for it, only the original album the songs were on.

hope this makes sense for you.
wow, thank you so much for this explanation! I really appreciate your knowledge and passion for this stuff and you've cleared up a lot of questions for me! :)

This time around is probably my most listened to song on HIStory. I just absolutely love it. Rationally I know it isn't the best song nor the biggest hit but I still love listening to it. Biggie sounds great also. He is the best rapper Michael collaborated with.

This time around is probably my most listened to song on HIStory. I just absolutely love it. Rationally I know it isn't the best song nor the biggest hit but I still love listening to it. Biggie sounds great also. He is the best rapper Michael collaborated with.
đź‘Ź đź‘Ź đź‘Ź

This Time Around is definitely one of my most streamed song on HIStory!! I am obsessed with it. The vitriol with which he sings "they really wanna use me, then falsely accuse me" is everything. Also, HARD agree on Biggie being the best rapper he worked with. Biggie's feature is so strong it makes me want to start listening to Biggie and I basically don't listen to any rap lol.

I think truly my most streamed song from the album is They Don't Care About Us which is a song that legitimately blows me away every single time I listen to it.

BTW as of right now at midnight of the 29th HIStory has
fUC7TvH.png

hopefully in the next 24hours we will get to +1k streams. but i am happy if even 5 more people stream with us lol

đź‘Ź đź‘Ź đź‘Ź

This Time Around is definitely one of my most streamed song on HIStory!! I am obsessed with it. The vitriol with which he sings "they really wanna use me, then falsely accuse me" is everything. Also, HARD agree on Biggie being the best rapper he worked with. Biggie's feature is so strong it makes me want to start listening to Biggie and I basically don't listen to any rap lol.

I think truly my most streamed song from the album is They Don't Care About Us which is a song that legitimately blows me away every single time I listen to it.
I have listened to a few of his songs like the classic big poppa, but not really into him. For rappers i'm more of a snoop dogg fan.

I am lucky because i have the uncensored/gold version of history on cd. i don't really listen to it but its nice to have the original. I just listened to it yesterday actually in the car. I love the video version even more with the drums. Amazing.

BTW as of right now at midnight of the 29th HIStory has
fUC7TvH.png

hopefully in the next 24hours we will get to +1k streams. but i am happy if even 5 more people stream with us lol
yes! I plan on streaming it all day, even if I'm not able to listen to it the whole time.

I have listened to a few of his songs like the classic big poppa, but not really into him. For rappers i'm more of a snoop dogg fan.
I can definitely appreciate that. I barely listen to rap. It's super rare for me. But I think more than anything I just sort of miss the 90s rap/hiphop sound as compared to the current stuff. But again, this is not my genre so I really can't speak about it with any authority lol.

I am lucky because i have the uncensored/gold version of history on cd. i don't really listen to it but its nice to have the original. I just listened to it yesterday actually in the car. I love the video version even more with the drums. Amazing.
wow, that is super cool! How did you find that?

I can't recall if you said, but how long have you been a fan?

What is you guys favorite video from this album?

for me its hard to pick actually. Michael was on one with this video era tbh.

yes! I plan on streaming it all day, even if I'm not able to listen to it the whole time.

I can definitely appreciate that. I barely listen to rap. It's super rare for me. But I think more than anything I just sort of miss the 90s rap/hiphop sound as compared to the current stuff. But again, this is not my genre so I really can't speak about it with any authority lol.

wow, that is super cool! How did you find that?

I can't recall if you said, but how long have you been a fan?
Yeah, i'm not a big rap fan either tbh. I am more of an 80s rnb/pop lover.

I found it at my local record shop. it was purely coincidence that it happened to be that one. I have been a fan of mj as in a part of the actual fandom, and following releases, news stories and such since 2015. but i knew a lot of his music way before that because i grew up playing the michael jackson experience game on the wii. that game really was amazing because it introduced me to alot of his cataloug like ghosts. tdcau, speed demon, earth song, who is it. More hidden gems i wouldn't have known. my family was always pro-mj tbh.

Radio edit versions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yessssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6e5e58cf-0c4f-488b-a179-e9db4f820b8b.jpg

katara, sorry (not sorry, lol) for derailing your thread with a photo but this info re Number Ones is awesome. Plus, it's Michael's birthday so I'm allowed to get over-excited.

As you were! :D

Last edited:
The song I listen to the *least* is Little Susie bc it's so emotionally wrecking. Absolutely brilliant song, a mini-opera (along with Is It Scary) but hard to take for obvious reasons. My most listened to? SIM but after that it would be 2Bad.

CD's!!!!!!!!!! CD's rule (er, in my household, lol).

What is you guys favorite video from this album?

for me its hard to pick actually. Michael was on one with this video era tbh.
History videos? SIM followed by TDCAU Brazil. Oh dear, that leaves Scream in 3rd place. That can't be right. Can it?

No, it's def SIM top fave vid and then Brazil. I can't talk about why I love TDCAU / Brazil so much bc it'll turn into an essay. But I know what I know.

because i grew up playing the michael jackson experience game on the wii. that game really was amazing because it introduced me to alot of his cataloug like ghosts. tdcau, speed demon, earth song, who is it. More hidden gems i wouldn't have known. my family was always pro-mj tbh.
Oh, you're a gamer? Cool. I never got into the gaming thing. I'm the same age as Michael so I was around in PacMan days. Seriously! And it did NOT grab my imagination, lol. I know it's massively different now but it's also not a great environment for women ... makes my feminist hackles rise!

The song I listen to the *least* is Little Susie bc it's so emotionally wrecking. Absolutely brilliant song, a mini-opera (along with Is It Scary) but hard to take for obvious reasons. My most listened to? SIM but after that it would be 2Bad.

CD's!!!!!!!!!! CD's rule (er, in my household, lol).

History videos? SIM followed by TDCAU Brazil. Oh dear, that leaves Scream in 3rd place. That can't be right. Can it?

No, it's def SIM top fave vid and then Brazil. I can't talk about why I love TDCAU / Brazil so much bc it'll turn into an essay. But I know what I know.

Oh, you're a gamer? Cool. I never got into the gaming thing. I'm the same age as Michael so I was around in PacMan days. Seriously! And it did NOT grab my imagination, lol. I know it's massively different now but it's also not a great environment for women ... makes my feminist hackles rise!
Yeah i don't really listen to it that much either to be honest with you. i listen more to the first half of HIStory tbh. Though i love 2 bad.

LOL you'll be happy to know that i have a few mj cds too. I have his adult solo albums, bad 25 box set, off the wall cd/dvd bundle, tdcau single, you are not alone single, stranger in moscow single, blood on the dance floor, jacksons live, destiny, essential michael jackson, etc. but i really make an effort to buy mj vinyl.

im not really a gamer. i used to play video games when i was a kid but i don't anymore. it's not really my thing tbh but i did love that MJ video game and also guitar hero which had beat it as one of the tracks. i wish they made an mj based guitar hero i would buy it tbh its alot of fun.

Yeah i don't really listen to it that much either to be honest with you. i listen more to the first half of HIStory tbh. Though i love 2 bad.
Really? You listen to Disc 1 more than Disc 2? Did I understand you right? I never listen to Disc 1. It's all about Disc 2 for me.

LOL you'll be happy to know that i have a few mj cds too. I have his adult solo albums, bad 25 box set, off the wall cd/dvd bundle, tdcau single, you are not alone single, stranger in moscow single, blood on the dance floor,
Awesome!!!!!

jacksons live,
As it's Michael's birthday I'm probably not allowed to say I hate you. Plus, it's an unacceptable thing to say to anyone, ever. But, man, you have a Jacksons live CD? Man!!!!!!!!!! OK, I don't hate you but I am jealous.

I do not have such a thing. I might have to go into mourning. Either that or I'd better ditch my principles and start shopping online, lol.

This is what I mean. Destiny is no longer available at HMV. If I want it I'm gonna have to go online. Gah!

essential michael jackson, etc
Essential. It is the sun, the moon and the stars for me. Sorry! Get a bit carried away when it comes to Essential. :D

. but i really make an effort to buy mj vinyl.
That must cost you! I'm never going back to vinyl but I can understand the attraction. Records on vinyl - even the modern day version which is much lighter in weight - are a pleasing, tangible thing.

im not really a gamer. i used to play video games when i was a kid but i don't anymore. it's not really my thing tbh but i did love that MJ video game and also guitar hero which had beat it as one of the tracks. i wish they made an mj based guitar hero i would buy it tbh its alot of fun.
That would be cool. If it had Beat It, GITM, DD - OK, maybe best to leave Morphine out of it but the others, that would be fabulous!

Really? You listen to Disc 1 more than Disc 2? Did I understand you right? I never listen to Disc 1. It's all about Disc 2 for me.

Awesome!!!!!

As it's Michael's birthday I'm probably not allowed to say I hate you. Plus, it's an unacceptable thing to say to anyone, ever. But, man, you have a Jacksons live CD? Man!!!!!!!!!! OK, I don't hate you but I am jealous.

I do not have such a thing. I might have to go into mourning. Either that or I'd better ditch my principles and start shopping online, lol.

This is what I mean. Destiny is no longer available at HMV. If I want it I'm gonna have to go online. Gah!

Essential. It is the sun, the moon and the stars for me. Sorry! Get a bit carried away when it comes to Essential. :D

That must cost you! I'm never going back to vinyl but I can understand the attraction. Records on vinyl - even the modern day version which is much lighter in weight - are a pleasing, tangible thing.

That would be cool. If it had Beat It, GITM, DD - OK, maybe best to leave Morphine out of it but the others, that would be fabulous!
no i meant the first half of disc 2. sorry i forgot it was a 2 disc set for a second.

LOL yes i do. i didn't buy it online either :p my local record shop has a lot of michael content actually. i found music and me, farewell my summer love, one day in your life, jacksons live vinyl, triumph, victory, victory picture disc, thriller 25 picture disc, bad 25, dancing machine, the best of michael jackson (motown), scream vinyl, blood on the dancefloor promo single, just to name a few all at my local shops.

it isn't too expensive a lot of the albums are used and its taken me years now to accumilate them. what i really want is HIStory and invicible on vinyl with their sleeves but those are the hardest to find. and you can forget about buying blood on the dancefloor anywhere for a reasonable price.

i am very lucky the rock hall museum is an hour away from me and they have the thriller jacket on display. i am going to see it tuesday. i saw we are the world jacket, grammys 1984, smooth criminal, jackson 5 green outfit and his glove on display.

also speaking of HIStory, my local shop had a history tour book in great condition...it was 400$ i was so upset.

I am shocked the estate rereleased history and invincible at all tbh. i will say that is a great release from them. the history picture disc is absolutely gorgeous in fact.

no i meant the first half of disc 2. sorry i forgot it was a 2 disc set for a second.
oh thank goodness! Thought I was going mad. Well, me or you, lol.

I've def had phases where first half has dominated massively. Just now, I'm kinda all over the place with it. Other times I'm fixated on all the singles, then it'll change again and I'm more focused on the unreleased stuff.

God, he's SO exciting!!!!!!

LOL yes i do. i didn't buy it online either :p my local record shop has a lot of michael content actually. i found music and me, farewell my summer love, one day in your life, jacksons live vinyl, triumph, victory, victory picture disc, thriller 25 picture disc, bad 25, dancing machine, the best of michael jackson (motown), scream vinyl, blood on the dancefloor promo single, just to name a few all at my local shops.
STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!! Just STOP!!! You are annoying me now!

JK. It's all good. Seriously, I'm just being melodramatic. But, omg, I want to pitch a tent in your local record shop. It sounds freakin' AWESOME. I'm not a collector, never have been. And it would be pointless to collect vinyl ... ooh, actually, just remembered, there is a collectors vinyl record shop not that far away from me but I don't bother cos I really don't want vinyl. Hm ... 🤔

it isn't too expensive a lot of the albums are used and its taken me years now to accumilate them. what i really want is HIStory and invicible on vinyl with their sleeves
Now that would be worth getting. I'm repeating myself but for the graphic design, the sleeve notes, the best presentation of the photos, you just can't beat vinyl. You just can't. All that lovely space to create something beautiful. CD's just can't compete. I really hope you get those two.

but those are the hardest to find. and you can forget about buying blood on the dancefloor anywhere for a reasonable price.

i am very lucky the rock hall museum is an hour away from me and they have the thriller jacket on display.
Is it the actual one? I'm not a collector and don't pay much (any) attention to this sort of stuff. But I sometimes see bits of info here and there about such-and-such a person owns this item of clothing from Michael Jackson. With his tour costumes I can understand that he would have to have multiple versions of each item. At least two or three of each major costume piece, I would think. But for clothes he wore in videos I would think he'd only need the one. Is the Thriller jacket privately owned (as I had thought) but on loan to this museum? No need for you to answer, I'm just thinking out loud, really.

i saw we are the world jacket,
Oh, that's so beautiful. And he looks so beautiful in it. That's amazing.

grammys 1984, smooth criminal,
Ooh!!!!!!! Fab!!!!!!!

also speaking of HIStory, my local shop had a history tour book in great condition...it was 400$ i was so upset.
This is what I mean. I don't have a collector mentality. I don't have a collector budget. But, even if I did, I wouldn't be wanting to pay those sort of prices. I just wouldn't do it. That said, when I'm looking for photos to post here on the board, sometimes I come across photos from his tour programmes and they are just so beautiful. Just ... well, I don't have the words ...

oh thank goodness! Thought I was going mad. Well, me or you, lol.

I've def had phases where first half has dominated massively. Just now, I'm kinda all over the place with it. Other times I'm fixated on all the singles, then it'll change again and I'm more focused on the unreleased stuff.

God, he's SO exciting!!!!!!

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!! Just STOP!!! You are annoying me now!

JK. It's all good. Seriously, I'm just being melodramatic. But, omg, I want to pitch a tent in your local record shop. It sounds freakin' AWESOME. I'm not a collector, never have been. And it would be pointless to collect vinyl ... ooh, actually, just remembered, there is a collectors vinyl record shop not that far away from me but I don't bother cos I really don't want vinyl. Hm ... 🤔

Now that would be worth getting. I'm repeating myself but for the graphic design, the sleeve notes, the best presentation of the photos, you just can't beat vinyl. You just can't. All that lovely space to create something beautiful. CD's just can't compete. I really hope you get those two.

Is it the actual one? I'm not a collector and don't pay much (any) attention to this sort of stuff. But I sometimes see bits of info here and there about such-and-such a person owns this item of clothing from Michael Jackson. With his tour costumes I can understand that he would have to have multiple versions of each item. At least two or three of each major costume piece, I would think. But for clothes he wore in videos I would think he'd only need the one. Is the Thriller jacket privately owned (as I had thought) but on loan to this museum? No need for you to answer, I'm just thinking out loud, really.

Oh, that's so beautiful. And he looks so beautiful in it. That's amazing.

Ooh!!!!!!! Fab!!!!!!!

This is what I mean. I don't have a collector mentality. I don't have a collector budget. But, even if I did, I wouldn't be wanting to pay those sort of prices. I just wouldn't do it. That said, when I'm looking for photos to post here on the board, sometimes I come across photos from his tour programmes and they are just so beautiful. Just ... well, I don't have the words ...
I am very lucky for that. I guess i live in an area with alot of mj fans. i have met a couple irl also.

it definitely is but no way would i spend 300 dollars on a record. that's just crazy plus if its from a different country you have to pay for shipping costs which can be a nightmare.

Yes it is the real one from the video. He signed the sleeve and all. The one that was sold for 1.8 million dollars to a private family. they are loaning it to the rock hall for a year to be on display. i also saw on my local news that they had a thriller statue from john landis that is REALLY amazing. it is one of 2 stautes that exist.

i am a huge fan of hector barjot on youtube and he is a major Michael jackson collector. like his whole basement is wall to wall mj merchandise. like a museum. TJ actually visted his collection a few weeks ago with his wife and children. The video was heartwarming.

btw i am still listening to HIStory!!! i didn't forget what this thread was about LOL.

Yes it is the real one from the video. He signed the sleeve and all. The one that was sold for 1.8 million dollars to a private family. they are loaning it to the rock hall for a year to be on display.
Aha! Thank you for that. I was sure I'd read that the jacket was privately owned. Which is OK as long as they look after it properly and are happy to co-operate with reputable organisations that want to borrow it for display purposes.

i am a huge fan of hector barjot on youtube and he is a major Michael jackson collector. like his whole basement is wall to wall mj merchandise. like a museum.
I adore Hector Barjot. I first came across him - can't remember - was it 2 / 3 years ago? It was that French discussion panel where they had DR, some French guy - journalist? academic? can't remember - plus a female psychotherapist and Hector. And they discussed LN and challenged DR. It was really interesting to watch. I saw a short version and then later on found a longer version. Hector was magnificent. Him and Yoann Bomal and Isabelle Petit-Jean are my three fave French MJ fans. They are awesome!

I love Hector's enthusiasm.

I've seen the pictures of Hector's MJ basement collection. He is dedicated! I am a mere blob in comparison. I have 2 copies of BOTDF on CD. Does that count? :D

TJ actually visted his collection a few weeks ago with his wife and children. The video was heartwarming.
Oh, I haven't seen this. I must go and look for it. I don't keep up with stuff like that. Probably because I'm not a fan. I love Michael but I don't identify as a fan so I don't do much fan-type stuff. Apart from here on the board. I'll be posting more photos later on, that's for sure, lol.

Have you watched the documentary by Yoann Bomal? It's fabulous. Actually, do you know what? I'm gonna post the Yoann Bomal video just in case you haven't already seen it. You probably have. You're clearly a lot more on top of this stuff than me. But, just in case you haven't seen it, omg, I can highly recommend it. Especially if you are into Michael as a dancer - for me, it's all about that.

Aha! Thank you for that. I was sure I'd read that the jacket was privately owned. Which is OK as long as they look after it properly and are happy to co-operate with reputable organisations that want to borrow it for display purposes.

I adore Hector Barjot. I first came across him - can't remember - was it 2 / 3 years ago? It was that French discussion panel where they had DR, some French guy - journalist? academic? can't remember - plus a female psychotherapist and Hector. And they discussed LN and challenged DR. It was really interesting to watch. I saw a short version and then later on found a longer version. Hector was magnificent. Him and Yoann Bomal and Isabelle Petit-Jean are my three fave French MJ fans. They are awesome!

I love Hector's enthusiasm.

I've seen the pictures of Hector's MJ basement collection. He is dedicated! I am a mere blob in comparison. I have 2 copies of BOTDF on CD. Does that count? :D

Oh, I haven't seen this. I must go and look for it. I don't keep up with stuff like that. Probably because I'm not a fan. I love Michael but I don't identify as a fan so I don't do much fan-type stuff. Apart from here on the board. I'll be posting more photos later on, that's for sure, lol.

Have you watched the documentary by Yoann Bomal? It's fabulous. Actually, do you know what? I'm gonna post the Yoann Bomal video just in case you haven't already seen it. You probably have. You're clearly a lot more on top of this stuff than me. But, just in case you haven't seen it, omg, I can highly recommend it. Especially if you are into Michael as a dancer - for me, it's all about that.

I love Hector and i also watch MJfangirl tv on youtube. I love her videos. I think its great there are fan content creators for mj. even though he has passed away its incredible how the fan community has continued on.

Yes it was really heart warming you could see tj being amazed about everything there and he said it brought him back to his childhood.

No i definitely haven't seen it but I will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back