Morphine appreciation thread

No it's not. Yes, I know, that you are little baby šŸ„¹
did you seriously put the words "i'm crying little baby, who likes to eat porridge" in the "mister_jay_tee said" to make it seem like he actually said that-??

what was the point of that. what did he do. WHAT DID HE DO. what was the reason for doing that. is it because he simply has a different opinion than you? is that how you seriously respond to that??

sigh. this is the last straw. i'm finally saying it.

@Richard76 it's okay to have disagreements over other people's opinions. it's not okay to always act like your opinion is an inherent fact and act like it's the end of the world whenever someone has a different opinion than yours. and even calling people names over it like you just did here. whether it's over an album, song, era. whatever. things we are all capable of having healthy disagreements over. things that are not worth putting words in other peoples mouths or calling them names over like you just did to @Mister_Jay_Tee and for WHAT GOOD REASON? absolutely none. that... that was straight up bullying. and totally immature at best.

This is the beacon. I'm holding it out. Show some love. Is this the best song of MJ's 90s decade and the best thing to come from the horrid events of 93?
anyways. let's make this thread back on topic.

51mKFPYprZS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

here's a really cool tidbit from "michael jackson: all the songs" by Richard Lecocq and Francois Allard, page 503, about Morphine:
"Musically, Michael chose to dedicate himself to Morphine body and soul, much more so than any other song in his repertoire. He wanted it to reflect his feelings as faithfully as possible and was eager to take on several key recording tasks: in addition to singing the chorus, as usual, he supervised the arrangements and played several instruments. This was the first time he'd taken a seat behind a drum set for a song he was planning to release to the public."

isn't that just amazing? we all know michael had used the use of beatboxing to produce his sounds, where his vocal patterns were mimicked by his musicians. but for him to also provide instrumental output himself shows how much commitment he put into Morphine. to me, this song is like the anti-Childhood. while both songs both delve into his personal struggles and pain, respectively, they take on completely different tones. the book also reveals (on the previous page) that he allegedly rehearsed it repeatedly for the HIStory tour but was never given the opportunity to actually perform it on stage.

did you seriously put the words "i'm crying little baby, who likes to eat porridge" in the "mister_jay_tee said" to make it seem like he actually said that-??

what was the point of that. what did he do. WHAT DID HE DO. what was the reason for doing that. is it because he simply has a different opinion than you? is that how you seriously respond to that??
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚ damn. you are so funny) i like it

sigh. this is the last straw. i'm finally saying it.

@Richard76 it's okay to have disagreements over other people's opinions. it's not okay to always act like your opinion is an inherent fact and act like it's the end of the world whenever someone has a different opinion than yours. and even calling people names over it like you just did here. whether it's over an album, song, era. whatever. things we are all capable of having healthy disagreements over. things that are not worth putting words in other peoples mouths or calling them names over like you just did to @Mister_Jay_Tee and for WHAT GOOD REASON? absolutely none. that... that was straight up bullying. and totally immature at best.
I'm not calling him names. I was joking lolšŸ˜‚ i mean, Jay Tee and I are friends here. We always tease each other:p:cool:

Well, back to the topic, in my opinion Mophine is pretty cool song. But, sample is too... noizy...? I mean, i still don't undersant, how they created main sample for this song (probably it's just guitar part), but it sounds too strong šŸ˜… I would like to see, how it could sounds during History tour. They definetely could change music, to reduce it's harshness

I'm not calling him names. I was joking lolšŸ˜‚ i mean, Jay Tee and I are friends here. We always tease each other:p:cool:
i thought he blocked/ignored you in another thread a while ago... didn't he tell you, "i'm blocking you"? and don't even try to gaslight me because I KNOW I saw that. not that that's even my business but... i highly doubt a friend would do that to you. so i'm sorry but i'm not buying this "we are friends and just teasing each other" story. šŸ’€

your tendency to behave this way towards other members isn't exactly unknown either as @Fuzball just told me. plus what i've observed myself... i don't like to be involved in arguments because most of the time it's a trigger to my health. but i'm feeling okay now and keeping my cool. i just took a week long break from MJJC and it's done wonders for me. i'm not trying to get you cancelled, i'm not trying to slander you. but i do care about the well being and freedom of discussion without people becoming overly hostile, of the members here on MJJC. so i will call out that kind of behavior if absolutely needed.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚ šŸ˜‚ damn. you are so funny) i like it
i'm not trying to be funny. i was asking a genuine question. all i want to know is, "what are your motives for making such an unnecessarily rude comment?" and also, "why?" and instead you laugh like it's funny. šŸ’€

I love Morphine. It is my in top 10 favourite Michael Jackson songs list. It is a banger.

One can argue that given how MJ died, Morphine was Michaelā€™s most personal song to date, as he was kind of predicting his own death. Very sad and haunting song, but a must listen for everyone.

One of my favorite songs right now. But it wasn't always like this. Once upon a time, I genuinely thought it was terrible. In my opinion the music and vocals perfectly capture the theme of the song, it's delightful! And the phrases from the movie create an interesting effect, it's like "listening to a video"

I liked it when he thought out of the box to create a song. Morphine would never be a hit but it is creative and it was at that time what I loved about Michaelā€™s music, the unpredictability. Today I am more interested in the heavenly vocals and immaculately produced ballads or mid tempo songs of his earlier days but Morphine is definitely a career highlight which sadly got snowed under and forgotten in a remix album.

@ChanceToDance
Who made this mix? Is it from the multitracks or does it come from an independent source? I like it too

One of the hardest MJ songs to date.

This is my favorite version of the song:
Unfortunately I don't really like the song... Such a shame because I admire the honesty, the lyrics, the vocals, the rawness, the NIN-inspiration, the Elephant Man sample etc. I think this remix makes it a lot better but still.. I guess it did need a catchier chorus

The general tons of the song isn't for me however, the breakdown halfway through is one of the most stunning sections in any of his songs. To build the song around that melody and structure would have been something special

anyways. let's make this thread back on topic.

51mKFPYprZS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

here's a really cool tidbit from "michael jackson: all the songs" by Richard Lecocq and Francois Allard, page 503, about Morphine:
"Musically, Michael chose to dedicate himself to Morphine body and soul, much more so than any other song in his repertoire. He wanted it to reflect his feelings as faithfully as possible and was eager to take on several key recording tasks: in addition to singing the chorus, as usual, he supervised the arrangements and played several instruments. This was the first time he'd taken a seat behind a drum set for a song he was planning to release to the public."

isn't that just amazing? we all know michael had used the use of beatboxing to produce his sounds, where his vocal patterns were mimicked by his musicians. but for him to also provide instrumental output himself shows how much commitment he put into Morphine. to me, this song is like the anti-Childhood. while both songs both delve into his personal struggles and pain, respectively, they take on completely different tones. the book also reveals (on the previous page) that he allegedly rehearsed it repeatedly for the HIStory tour but was never given the opportunity to actually perform it on stage.
Thanks for this..... I was contemplating purching the Xscape origins book. Do you know if its any good? Do they discuss songs outside of the nine tracks from xscape?

Thanks for this..... I was contemplating purching the Xscape origins book. Do you know if its any good? Do they discuss songs outside of the nine tracks from xscape?
It's a decent book. Damien offers lots of background, context, and extemporaneous details to his accounts of the 8 songs, which he sticks to, but even there, that offers a lot of insight into MJ and his work process. So yeah, I give it a nod, it's not comprehensive but it is enjoyable.

It's a decent book. Damien offers lots of background, context, and extemporaneous details to his accounts of the 8 songs, which he sticks to, but even there, that offers a lot of insight into MJ and his work process. So yeah, I give it a nod, it's not comprehensive but it is enjoyable.
Thanks, ill purchase it based on that.

Is there any book that specifically delves into ALL MJs songs post Invincible?

Back