MTV Video Music Awards 1995

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Just recently watched this on an old VHS cassette that I had laying around here at home and seriously! I mean seriously WTH! I can wholeheartedly say that MJ was at his peak as a dancer/performer in this performance! It's scary. Look at how flawlessly he moves and the fluidity in his dance steps. It just seemed so easy here. It's crazy to think this and the HIStory tour were only 1 year apart.

[youtube]FSb9SBiehL8[/youtube]

^^I know we have an entirely different thread asking the last time you got goosebumps listening to Michael sing, but I'm changing my answer to just now-watching this again.

Wow.

^^I know we have an entirely different thread asking the last time you got goosebumps listening to Michael sing, but I'm changing my answer to just now-watching this again.

Wow.

Right? Absolutely brilliant! It's just on a whole other level

I was 15 at the time when I saw this performance on my tv. Not just seeing it. I was also taping that performance at the time. As well as taping the entire award show back then. It is a shame that Michael only won 1 award that night. But at least it was for the best dance video. Which I knew even before they had announce the nominees. I knew that Michael was going to win it. I still have that whole award show on tape. But unfortunately it is in poor quality. Because of my constantly wanting to watch that MJ performance. I'm surprise I didn't break my vcr because of it. It was and always will be my number 1 favorite MJ performance. And I even have the news stories about the VMAs on tape. I did have quite the obsession of taping anything about Michael back then. Then again Michael was my obsession back then.

I'm blown away every time :bow:

Everyone take note. This is how the greatest entertainer to ever grace the Earth commanded his stage.

This was one of the first ever MJ live performances I watched; I got it in this mini-boxset that had the HIStory I and HIStory II DVDs on it and I remember spending hours watching it. I remember one time I was watching it one summer evening and my parents happened to walk in. I think they were about to go out on a walk or something (they were coming to tell me they were leaving) but they ended up sitting and watching it from the beginning until the end of Dangerous. I remember at one point Mum said something along the lines of "Wow... he really was amazing wasn't he". This was about half a year after his passing.

Hell I'd say it's my favourite MJ performance ever. Was this his first ever performance/public appearance since the allegations? Because if so this is how you making a motherf**king COMEBACK!!

Many people find this to be his best performance.. And I'll have to say that dance wise he reached his 'peak' here. Never as crisp as what we see in the clip.. It's many peoples favorite performance! I remember my friend saying "the only thing that I can say that was not perfect is that powder from Mikes pocket got on his pants." lol! If that's all someone can say, that says something,..

This was his first public performance since the allegations and I really believed he felt he had to be top of the top and came out guns blazing...

Many people find this to be his best performance.. And I'll have to say that dance wise he reached his 'peak' here. Never as crisp as what we see in the clip.. It's many peoples favorite performance! I remember my friend saying "the only thing that I can say that was not perfect is that powder from Mikes pocket got on his pants." lol! If that's all someone can say, that says something,..

This was his first public performance since the allegations and I really believed he felt he had to be top of the top and came out guns blazing...

Yeah that's what i'm talking about! Crisper, smoother, more refined, in tuned, focused, and a new haircut he was just Ugh! I just find it incredibly interesting, (and crazy), that the HIStory tour was just one year after that performance. But I guess a lot can happen in a year. This is why I believe that the HBO show would have been the best show in the world.

Yeah-he came back with both barrels blasting. Confidence off the charts. Amazing. I've drawn a blank-how long after this was the HBO special scheduled?

(I was looking at a list of Emmy nominees and winners today from the beginning and Travis and Lavell were nominated for the choreography in that MTV show). Michael should have been nominated for the performance.

And definitely deserved an Emmy nod for the Grammys 88 performance (always will be my favorite)

Last edited:
I just find it incredibly interesting, (and crazy), that the HIStory tour was just one year after that performance. But I guess a lot can happen in a year. This is why I believe that the HBO show would have been the best show in the world.

I don't see much difference. This is all playback and the dancing is great like on HIStory Tour. Michael just looks just happier here.

Just recently watched this on an old VHS cassette that I had laying around here at home and seriously! I mean seriously WTH! I can wholeheartedly say that MJ was at his peak as a dancer/performer in this performance! It's scary. Look at how flawlessly he moves and the fluidity in his dance steps. It just seemed so easy here. It's crazy to think this and the HIStory tour were only 1 year apart.

[youtube]FSb9SBiehL8[/youtube]

It is really scary to think what the human body is capable of doing!

I don't see much difference. This is all playback and the dancing is great like on HIStory Tour. Michael just looks just happier here.

There is a huuuuuuuuuuge difference! He's faster, smoother, lighter, crispier, his hitting every move with flawless precision, and yes he' seemed happier.

Last edited:
There is a huuuuuuuuuuge difference! He's faster, smoother, lighter, crispier, his hitting every move with flawless precision, and yes he' seems happier.
Yes!! Way happier than on the History tour and far and away much healthier.
A world of difference in just a year.

Yes!! Way happier than on the History tour and far and away much healthier.
A world of difference in just a year.

Tbh, he looked pretty healthy in those gold pants xD. Though he was looking somewhat tired.

THIS, Motown 25 and Grammys '88 sum up Michael Jackson in a nut shell.

While there was a difference between MTV awards and the History tour and I can tell that some has to do with health etc. We do also have to consider that prepping for a 10-15 minute 1 time performance I going to take much less of a toll on a person than a 2 hour multiple concert with constant travel and pounding almost every night.. Even in 1995 he would not have been able to do tour the same way as the past ie. he collapsed and had to cancel HBO special is an example of that..

Plus Michael always was usually crisper up to that point when he knew the performance would be on national/international TV. ;)

Without doubt one of mj's best performances.....but what would of really made it that more special if Michael sang You are not Alone live - nothing wrong with his voice here as he did sing at the end and he sounded perfect.

Last edited:
Back