MTV’s coverage & attitude toward MJ in the 00’s

I actually liked it that MJ was above that level. MJ was classy and IMO it put Eminem more to shame than if MJ had gone down on his level. He was being mature and adult and at the end of the day it was Eminem who looked childish and foolish.

I was referring to the Awards issue

Have you heard HIStory? Have you heard Dangerous? Have you seen the '94 NAACP awards? Have you seen that Giraldo Rivera interview back in '05? It's not like he couldn't be edgy when he wanted to. He could defend himself. We just wish he'd done it more in the 2000's instead of letting himself be made the butt of the joke - which he obviously hated.

Yes, I heard them all and MJ always remained classy while defending himself.

I was referring to the Awards issue

Oh Ok. But the same applies there.

He didn't have to flaunt his achievements but he could silence his adversaries with just a retort (I'm sure of it).

IMO MJ showing himself upset over such parodies would only fuel them because that was the goal - to hurt him. It's a bully thing and bullies attack even more when they see that they can get a rise out of you. Him showing himself all pissed about it would not have silenced anyone. It would probably have only fuelled them for more.

HIStoric;4110456 said:
I think he said he did it because he disagreed with MJ portraying himself as a Jesus-like figure (which I can see how his arms-out pose can spark that interpretation, not that I'm on that randoms side cos I ain't). If it makes you feel any better though, I don't even know that guys name and I've looked up the incident once or twice before. The fact I earlier referred to him as 'that guy' states it pretty loud and clear :p

Where did MJ portray himself as a Jesus-like figure at the 2002 VMAs?

I think you are mistaking it with the 1995 Brit Awards and that was Pulp singer Jarvis Cocker. Funny thing is that he probably doesn't give a damn about Jesus otherwise. So the whole thing seemed hypocritical and self-serving. In fact, we discussed the incident here before and Bonnie Blue made a good point in saying that actually Cocker invaded the stage BEFORE MJ did that supposed "Jesus-like" pose...

respect77;4110465 said:
I think you are mistaking it with the 1995 Brit Awards and that was Pulp singer Jarvis Cocker. Funny thing is that he probably doesn't give a damn about Jesus otherwise. So the whole thing seemed hypocritical and self-serving. In fact, we discussed the incident here before and Bonnie Blue made a good point in saying that actually Cocker invaded the stage BEFORE MJ did that supposed "Jesus-like" pose...

Yeah you're right!

Everyone's getting their contexts screwed up in this thread :lol:

So some of you want MJ to be a different person, a "normal person" instead of who he really was? Geniuses are usually not "normal people", esp. artistic ones - and it is not just about their talent but also their personalities. A lot of you are fans of MJ because he was not normal. A normal person is the dull guy who works nine to five and there is nothing exceptional in him, everything is just "normal" around him, like it is expected to be. There is nothing exciting about people who are "normal".

And how do we know he would have felt comfortable in a SNL-like talk show? Comfortable enough to "show his humour" and put on some shallow act like people usually do on such shows? Maybe it just wasn't in his personality to go on shows like that. (I never wished him to be on such a show. Most of it is shallow IMO. And I don't think it is for everyone (I mean to be a guest on such a show.)

And what does it actually have to do with the original topic? Are we now blaming Michael for MTV's treatment of him? As far as I know he was always nice to MTV. He gave them interviews over the years, went to their award shows where he pulled off some of the most memorable performances of the history of the channel. So lack of accessibility or cooperation is not really a good excuse for MTV.

No I think when people say 'normal' they mean.. Be himself!! I think we all know he created a Michael Jackson BRAND that was 'inspired by' the real Michael... It is only in the later years and random stories have we heard of the Michael the human.

Back