My case of why "What More Can I Give" must be re-released as a single NOW

Zack44

Proud Member
Hello everyone. I'm sure that all of you know the unreleased MJ song "What More Can I Give" and the unfortunate circumstances that led to the song not getting the proper traction and success that it should have. Even after almost 20 years, not many people outside of the MJ fan community even know this song exists.

However, in light of recent events, I believe NOW is the time for the Estate and/or the powers that be to re-release this song as a single on streaming services and give it the worldwide recognition that MJ hoped that it would have all those years ago.

#1: Raising money for Covid-19 victims:

The coronavirus has truly changed the world to the point that even if/when it eventually goes away, the aftershock will undoubtedly impact everyone for years to come. Even the music industry in general has really been hit hard. Many artists are unable to tour and even many local performing arts centers and venues are struggling to make ends meet.

If What More Can I Give were to be re-released, not only would it be a great opportunity to raise money and efforts to aid those who were impacted most by Covid-19, it would also be the perfect song to unite the world through music, just like We Are The World did 35 years ago.

They could also knock out 2 birds with 1 stone by re-releasing the song in 2021 to coincide with the 20th anniversary of 9/11, since that was the original foundation of the song.

#2: Possibly re-recording the song with today's artists:
A lot of fans want the solo demo of this song to be released by the estate, but I think it would also be fantastic to incorporate the hit artists of today to provide new vocals to the song.

The artists from the 2001 are great, but I imagine that getting all of those original artists to approve their vocals being put out again would be tricky, especially since some of them are also gone such as Luther Vandross.

Some of them, such as Beyonce and Matriah, are still very popular, but I imagine including a balance between them and new acts like BTS, Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, etc, contributing to a new version (with MJ's vocals intact of course) would give it much more attention from a global audience.

#3: Re-establishing MJ's global credibility through his humanitarianism:
I hate to say it, but a lot of people have lost faith in Michael over the last few years thanks to Leaving Neverland. I believe that re-releasing this song would truly remind the world what an innocent and charitable soul he was. He gave more money to charity than any other entertainer in history, and this is the perfect song to showcase how caring he was when disaster struck the planet.

What do you all think? Is it too farfetched of an idea or does it seem like a plausible thing that the Estate can do soon?

What_More_Can_I_Give_single_cover.jpeg

I agree that this song needs to be rerelease. i honestly forgot about it until someone brought it up on here. i agree it will be nice to rerelease the song with just michael and the artists at the time and rerelease the song with today artists who are michael jackson close friends and fans.

i agree with this idea. but i doubt the estate gonna do it. we can ask them. since 9/11 will be 20 next year. (man i feel old.) they kind of did that for heal the world earlier this year. it wasn't much but they did their little output on it.

i agree. michael was more then just an entertainer. but you know media. also michael said he didn't care if the media never talk about his humanitarian work. he said he did it because he wanted to help people not because it would give him attention etc.

michael was/is one of the most famous person on earth who did that. once again the media don't care. they just wanna erase michael and act like he never existed or/and he's guilty etc.

boy this world did michael wrong. i hope he's at peace.

I mean I would rather this song be trending than, say, WAP (Wireless Application Protocol, right?). For your first and third point, I think this project of raising pandemic funds and reviving the humanitarian image of Michael would need to be a lot bigger than simply re-releasing a song, like a LOT bigger.

Charity songs won't make money like they once used to, because of streaming. Vast majority of people consume their music via streaming and there is hardly any money to be made for artists from streaming.

I like the idea of releasing What More I Can Give, preferably MJ's solo version but it won't unfortunately raise any money for the victims of Covid 19.

It would be interesting to see how Sony/the Estate would approach "What More Can I Give." If you're looking for fundraising, an all-star recording would undoubtedly garner more attention and do better business than Michael's demo, but then there's the question of the artists involved. Would all of the original artists and/or their record labels consent to their involvement (especially in the post-LN atmosphere)? If so, would they want to re-record their vocals? If not, who would we get to replace them? There's tons of variables to it, but I'd be interested in seeing it.

Personally, while I love "What More Can I Give," I would much rather see them finally release "I Have This Dream." I've heard mixed things about it, but my curiosity is too high and I just need to hear the track. Plus, I think thematically it's a much better fit -- there are more parallels to draw between COVID-19 and Hurricane Katrina than 9/11.

Or -- even better -- maybe Michael has another anthem-type song in the vault that we don't know about?

It would be interesting to see how Sony/the Estate would approach "What More Can I Give." If you're looking for fundraising, an all-star recording would undoubtedly garner more attention and do better business than Michael's demo, but then there's the question of the artists involved. Would all of the original artists and/or their record labels consent to their involvement (especially in the post-LN atmosphere)? If so, would they want to re-record their vocals? If not, who would we get to replace them? There's tons of variables to it, but I'd be interested in seeing it.

Personally, while I love "What More Can I Give," I would much rather see them finally release "I Have This Dream." I've heard mixed things about it, but my curiosity is too high and I just need to hear the track. Plus, I think thematically it's a much better fit -- there are more parallels to draw between COVID-19 and Hurricane Katrina than 9/11.

Or -- even better -- maybe Michael has another anthem-type song in the vault that we don't know about?
Other than mj.... most of those artists should be replaced anyway. For betrayal of mj & because some of them have been irrelevant for years. (Not talking about the legends on the track)

Firstly it's just not that good a song. Secondly post LN it'd be lucky to sell a few thousand copies. And what's the point, it never came out twenty years ago. Why would a weak rerecorded version with Billie Ellish and Cardy B do any better.

And as for I have This Dream / From The Bottom Of My Heart I'm not sure it ws finished.MJ was pride cong sessions by phone for a lot of it and not many artists actually contributed to it

Back