NASA: Water found flowing on Mars could sustain life

Galactus123

Proud Member
Donations
$18.00
Nasa Mars announcement: water found flowing on Red Planet could sustain life:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11896161/Nasa-Mars-announcement-water-live.html

Scientists have found evidence of briny water flowing on Mars during summertime on the Red Planet

Water exists in liquid form on the surface of Mars, Nasa scientists have said, making it possible for life to be sustained on the Red Planet.

Nasa hailed the “strongest evidence yet” of intermittent flows of briny water on Mars after scientists identified hydrated salts in dark streaks that ebb and flow down the planet’s slopes.

The dark marks, which appear in summer months, are thought to be caused by the salty water wicking up from a shallow flow beneath the surface – although the origins of the briny flows remain a mystery.

The water appears to exist in the form of “thin layers of wet soil", rather than pools of standing water, Alfred McEwen of the University of Arizona, one of the scientists who made the finding using new imaging techniques said.

The discovery of liquid water means Mars is “not the dry, arid planet that we thought of in the past”, Jim Green, Nasa’s director of planetary science said.

Crucially, it “suggests that it would be possible for there to be life today on Mars”, John Grunsfeld, Nasa's science mission chief, said.

Water is essential to life as we know it on Earth – and on Earth, wherever there is water there is also life, the scientists said.

However, it is not yet known whether the briny water discovered on Mars may be too salty to support terrestrial life forms.

Although microbes do exist in salty habitats on the Atacama Desert in South America, the most likely location for microbes on Mars would be in fresh water that scientists believe might exist deeper beneath the surface of the planet, scientists suggested.

Dr McEwen said he believed that “the possibility of life in the interior of Mars has always been very high” and it was “very likely” that there was life in the form of microbes “somewhere in the crust of Mars”.

Dr Grunsfeld said the briny water discovered on Mars could also be “useful to future travellers”, not only for hydration but potentially even for growing crops in “inflatable greenhouses”.

Nasa has already said it wants to put men on Mars and Dr Grunsfeld said he hoped Nasa would be able to do so “in the near future”. Any Mars mission by Nasa would cost tens of billions of dollars.

Michael Meyer, lead scientist for Nasa’s Mars Exploration Program said: “Now we know there is liquid water on the surface of this cold, desert planet. It seems that the more we study Mars, the more we learn how life could be supported and where there are resources to support life in the future.”

The scientific paper behind the announcement, published in the journal Nature Geoscience, stopped short of claiming definitive proof of water but said the salt findings “strongly support the hypothesis”.

It suggested possible origins of the water could include melting ice, an underground aquifer or water vapor from the thin Martian atmosphere, although it also set out shortcomings with each of the possible explanations.

Cynics questioned the timing of Nasa’s announcement, which coincides with the launch of the Ridley Scott film The Martian, starring Matt Damon, which Nasa has assisted in promoting.

Interesting news. It's really exciting to hear these kind of news. I hope they send more Mars rovers there to take pictures and samples and possibly people in not so far future.

I wish Mars was available for sightseeing at a reasonable price. Personally, I find it hard to imagine anything else (here on Earth) that is gloomier & more frightening than the environment of Mars. Also, the different feeling of gravity could be an out of the ordinary experience for everyone.

In any case, it came as a surprise to hear from scientists that there is a possibility that (microbial) life exists on Mars (due to that type of water that was found there).

But, trying to make Mars a permanent, habitable place (in order for people to live there) is no walk in the park. For example, it requires astronomical amounts of money, when, at the same time, these funds could be invested in changing the Earth’s environment for the better. Also, it is said that the radiation is pretty harsh & extremely hazardous owing to the lack of an adequate magnetic field. Moreover, the extreme unevenness of the temperature makes it practically impossible for any human being to permanently live there. Additionally, the fulfillment of the very basic human needs seems rather impracticable.

In my opinion, it is possible (if not likely) that a permanent base facility on the surface of Mars (for strict space missions/uses) is on scientists’ mind. It remains to be seen.

This report made me want to watch "Total Recall" again, lol! (the Arnold Schwarzenegger version) ;)

One of my favorite movies. I watched it again couple months ago. Never watched the remake because it doesn't look good at all and it's not even set on Mars.

Here are some amazing Mars photos:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...er-AfterCrossingDingoGapSanddune-20140209.jpg
http://cdn-images.9cloud.us/582/piccit_the_surface_of_mars_as_seen__1556001872.jpg
http://img1.mxstatic.com/wallpapers/1b50243d67f2a3e8b2603ad67819cbd4_large.jpeg

It would be so awesome to go there but it would be really scary. I hope they send HD video camera with the next Mars rover. It would be great to see some high quality video.

Last edited:
I hope people never get the chance to go or live there. We f..ed up our lovely planet Earth, and now looking another place to ruin.
When I heard about this, the first thing that came to my mind was Michael's poem Mother Earth

MOTHER EARTH

I was walking along the beach one winter day. Looking down, I saw a wave push a feather up on the sand. It was a sea gull feather stained with oil. I picked it up and felt the dark slick film on my fingers. I couldn't help wondering if the bird had survived. Was it all right out there? I knew it wasn't.
I felt sad to think how carelessly we treat our home. The earth we all share is not just a rock tossed through space but a living, nurturing being. She cares for us; she deserves our care in return. We've been treating Mother Earth the way some people treat a rental apartment. Just trash it and move on.

But there's no place to move on to now. We have brought our garbage and our wars and our racism to every part of the world. We must begin to clean her up, and that means cleaning up our own hearts and minds first, because they led us to poison our dear planet. The sooner we change, the easier it will be to feel our love for Mother Earth and the love she so freely gives back to us.

---------------------------------

I say we should stick with what we have and try to fix it before we go to another "rental apartment" to trash it and move the next.

I don't think there is much to ruin on Mars. Also they could go there to make science stuff not live there.

I´ll think of Aniara , an epic published in 1956
The story takes place aboard goldondern Aniara, a huge spacecraft that travel routinely carrying eight thousand emigrants from Earth to Mars and Venus, because the Earth (Doris) are damaged by environmental degradation and nuclear war. On one of these trips Aniara is forced to swerve to avoid an unknown asteroid off course, end up in a meteorite burst and lose maneuverability, but remains otherwise unharmed unabated out of the solar system and into the unknown. The rest of the story describes how the crew and passengers react when the unimaginable occurs to them - that no rescue longer is possible. What remains is an existence on board Aniaraplatsen forever, or at least until supplies run out.
they have made an opera of it

I´ll think of David Bowie too, Life on march of course and poor Major Tom
[video=youtube;cYMCLz5PQVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMCLz5PQVw[/video]

I think trying to make life viable on Mars would be too challenging for the growth of technology & could lead to unprecedented scientific developments.

In my opinion, this is the most important thing.

I am pro scientific developments but I don't see the need to go so far, if only half of the money expended on that investigations would be used to cleaning the seas and the air pollution on Earth fur sure we would live better and longer

I am pro scientific developments but I don't see the need to go so far, if only half of the money expended on that investigations would be used to cleaning the seas and the air pollution on Earth fur sure we would live better and longer

I can understand that enormous amounts of funds are required for such efforts (experiments on Mars).

But, you should not forget that a large percentage of these funds can easily come from other, private sources (billionaires, companies, etc.) that have already expressed their interest regarding that matter.

Also, the whole thing is much more complicated than just an allocation of funds in favor of cleaning the air pollution or seas on Earth &, in many cases, it does not have to do with lack of funds at all.

Here is an example:

? factory (or a company in general) can continue ?? pollute the nearby river for other reasons that are irrelevant to lack of funds (for example, government/local corruption that allows such behavior in favor of both parties).

I can understand that enormous amounts of funds are required for such efforts (experiments on Mars).

But, you should not forget that a large percentage of these funds can easily come from other, private sources (billionaires, companies, etc.) that have already expressed their interest regarding that matter.

Also, the whole thing is much more complicated than just an allocation of funds in favor of cleaning the air pollution or seas on Earth &, in many cases, it does not have to do with lack of funds at all.

Here is an example:

? factory (or a company in general) can continue ?? pollute the nearby river for other reasons that are irrelevant to lack of funds (for example, government/local corruption that allows such behavior in favor of both parties).

Oh I know that, I do understand it. What I tried to say is that we have the technology and knowledge to do much more for this planet. Seems like it is a human condition not to care that much about what it is in front of our eyes.

Back