New Book: Michael, Janet & The Jackson Family: All The Top 40 Hits

HIStory

Proud Member
61rSP4ah3tL._SX260_.jpg

Author’s Note: This book is intended as an introduction to the music of the Jackson family.

"The Jacksons are far and away the most successful family ever to enter the music business. Since 1969, when 'I Want You Back' became the Jackson 5’s first hit single, the family has scored an astonishing 160+ different Top 40 hits around the world, and that’s not including uncredited appearances on singles such as USA For Africa’s 'We Are The World' and Rockwell’s 'Somebody’s Watching Me'. The Top 40 singles detailed in this book are listed chronologically, according to the date they first entered the chart in one of ten countries: Australia, Belgium, France, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States, and are numbered 1-164. Singles like 'We Are The World' and 'Somebody’s Watching Me' are also included in the correct chronological order but aren’t numbered. Where possible, each Top 40 hit is illustrated with a picture sleeve. As picture sleeves were rarely issued in the USA or the UK in the early-to-mid 1970s, most of the earlier sleeves shown originate from countries like France, Germany, Japan and the Netherlands. For each Top 40 hit, the catalogue numbers and release dates are detailed, for both the USA and the UK, followed by the Top 100 chart runs in each of the ten countries, including any chart re-entries. The catalogue numbers quoted are for 7” singles up to 1990, and for CD singles after 1990, unless otherwise stated. Of course, in recent years, it has become increasingly common for singles to be released digitally only. The most recent Top 40 hit by a member of the Jackson family is Michael’s posthumous duet with Akon, 'Hold My Hand', which entered the charts in December 2010. The main body of the book is followed by ‘The Almost Top 40 Hits’, which gives an honourable mention to Jackson singles that have peaked between no.41 and no.50 in one or more of the ten featured countries, and a fascinating ‘Trivia’ section which round-up the most successful Jacksons and the most successful Jackson singles in each country.

Author’s Note: This book is intended as an introduction to the music of the Jackson family. If you are looking for a more in depth look at Janet’s or Michael’s career, I can recommend two books I have co-written with Chris Cadman, namely ‘Janet Jackson: For The Record’ and Michael Jackson: For The Record(2nd Edition’). For all the latest news, please visit www.cadman-halstead-musicbooks.com."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1492187097/

Sounds interesting. Not something I would buy, but it is good to see the significance of the family in terms of music. Hopefully, it will make more people buy a J5 album; and then once hearing that little, but powerful voice on the album, they will directly go out and buy ALL Michael Jackson solo music--after all, Michael has the most photos on the cover on the book.

Despite what I think of the family you can't deny all the great music they have done as a group and individually.

Despite what I think of the family you can't deny all the great music they have done as a group and individually.

I can seperate their current behavior from the music. They were part of Michael's music history. Triumph and Destiny are among my favorite albums ever. I'm not so much of a fan of Janet's music, but I don't mind having her career in the book as well. I ordered it already. I'm more interested in books dealing with Michael's music than with anyone discussing his private business.

Just a friendly reminder: Be careful where you take this discussion. Let's not derail the thread off topic. Take any personal negative feelings you may have about Jackson family members to the threads already discussing those issues. We want all our members to be able to enjoy discussing this book and the music without all that.

Thank you for your cooperation and as always if you have any questions or concerns PM do not reply or discuss moderation requests on the board.

This book sounds nice. I always wanted to buy "For The Record." One day I will check all of these books out.

Can't wait for the release :)

Kinda biased since I did the cover LOL

PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR: The first instalment Chris Cadman's first solo project, Michael Jackson The Maestro:
The A-Z Of His Career!

He tweeted “@MJJ_Archives: michaeljackson# working full out to complete vol 1 of Michael Jackson The Maestro The Definitive A-Z - Volume A-J almost 900 pages”

IM EXCITED FOR THIS RELEASE. Chris has put his blood sweat and tears into this book!!!!!

Cprep20;3907466 said:
PLEASE LOOK OUT FOR: The first instalment Chris Cadman's first solo project, Michael Jackson The Maestro:
The A-Z Of His Career!

He tweeted “@MJJ_Archives: michaeljackson# working full out to complete vol 1 of Michael Jackson The Maestro The Definitive A-Z - Volume A-J almost 900 pages”

IM EXCITED FOR THIS RELEASE. Chris has put his blood sweat and tears into this book!!!!!

Sounds exciting.

I'm very excited. Chris puts little snippets on the Group he runs on Facebook.

FAMILY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

Presented to the Jackson 5 by D. C. Bicentennial Commissioner James Gibson 5th May 1975 at Shady Grove Music Theatre, Montgomery County, Maryland The award was for the J5’s commitment to the deprived & music industry.

FAMILY LIFE OF THE JACKSON FIVE

Ebony – December, 1974

By Louie Robinson

The Jackson had just embarked on Dates in Vegas at Lake Tahoe with Writer Louie Robinson caught up with them. Sisters La Toya and a little Janet Jackson joined their famous brothers on stage for the first time. Janet proves a popular addition and almost steals the show with her impressions of Mae West and Cher in a double act with Randy.

With the Vegas show being far more conservative than the teenyboppers ones they had come accustomed to, several pieces of humour were fitted in to the act. Michael’s regular line became:

“When we started out, I used to be little, cute and charming. Now I’m big, cute and charming.”

Father Joe Jackson says although Michael leads from the front and gets the attention at home he’s nothing like a star.

“Michael likes to lay back. He’s not the type who likes to be out front. He’s real freehearted. He’ll go out of his way to help anybody.”

La Toya says that she and Michael are planning a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rodgers segment in the show.

Brother Jackie notes how hard it’s been for Michael since being in the group.

“It’s been a rough life for Michael; he’s always been around older people. Now he’s just trying to have fun.”

FAMILY THING

A song unreleased for the History, Past, Present & Future Book I sessions. In February, 2013 a box of audio tapes were put up for sale on the ebay auction site with several unreleased songs and mixes from the Dangerous and History sessions. All appeared instrumental studio versions; these were later withdrawn over copyright issues.

FAMOUS FAMILIES: THE JACKSONS: FIRST FAMILY OF POP

Aired 5th October, 1998

The Famous Families Documentary series kicked off the first episode with a look at The Jacksons. The First Family of Pop, featured interviews with Janet Jackson, Gladys Knight, Vincent Patterson and director John Landis.

Several clips featured that had been aired regularly over the years from Hollywood Palace, Royal Variety Show and TV show appearances to Hollywood Star Unveiling, The Victory Tour, Meeting Princess Diana to Black Or White Video. J5 rehearsals, Jacksons TV performances, The Wiz, Off The Wall Thriller, Super Bowl clip, Bad, Pepsi clip, Pepsi Hair on fire, Leave Me Alone, Bad Tour clips, Grammy Awards 1993, 1993 allegations, Latoya, Lisa Marie, Debbie Rowe, 3T,.

FAN LETTER TO MICHAEL
JACKSON

Tribute song recorded by Rheostatics, for their 1995 album, INTRODUCING HAPPINESS.
There's pictures also I just don't know how to post them!

The fan community is very busy putting out a lot of Michael products. Very good.

Back