New release: Motown 25 Yesterday, Forever with Reharsal-Footage from Michael

^ The point is the attention that each portion of the show gets.. where does it lean? towards Michael.. Are we really going to debate this? To some it was the singular most important moment in entertainment history and we're going to go back and forth about what is the driving force behind releasing the show?

I am not taking away at the other talent, but Michaels moment was Motown 25, and the world stood still for that moment... He was by far the highlight of the show.. I guarantee you much more than 50% of the people here would not be familiar with Motown 25 if MJ never happened.. It would have been along the lines of Motown 30..
If they are only trying to sell to Mike fans, then Motown could have just released the Goin' Back To Indiana special on DVD. :rofl: Many of the people on this site don't know Garth Brooks and he is one of the biggest selling acts in history. How many people on this site are fans of other well selling acts like Pink Floyd, Eminem, Nelly, Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Adele, Taylor Swift, Metallica, Eagles, Nirvana, Prince, Van Halen, etc.? None of those acts sell because Mike is on their records and/or DVDs. I've seen threads here saying that they don't like the raps on Mike's songs and don't like the songs with Paul McCartney. Probably not many here bought the albums of Heavy D & The Boyz, Ice Cube, Wreckx-n-Effect, or Notorious B.I.G. Hip hop has been the most popular genre in the US for the last 20 years or so. You can go to the other music part of this site and few people participate in it. So the taste of the people on this site has nothing to do with how something is going to sell or who's going to buy it.

I just think that Michaels performance has to be a big part of why they would release Motown 25 over any other Motown anniversary show.. Sure there was Smokeys reunion with the Miracles and other reasons it was a good show... But who's (33 years later) talking about who was better at Motown 25 Four Tops vs. Temptations? They talk about Billie Jean!

Theres people that buy it not only for Michael, but I would bet if Michael did the moonwalk for the first time at another Motown anniversary show, that would be what's released...

I just think that Michaels performance has to be a big part of why they would release Motown 25 over any other Motown anniversary show.. Sure there was Smokeys reunion with the Miracles and other reasons it was a good show... But who's (33 years later) talking about who was better at Motown 25 Four Tops vs. Temptations? They talk about Billie Jean!

Theres people that buy it not only for Michael, but I would bet if Michael did the moonwalk for the first time at another Motown anniversary show, that would be what's released...
If that was the case, there would not be a need to re-release Motown 25 at all. Motown could have just released Goin' Back To Indiana, The J5 in Mexico, and just put their part of Motown 25 as bonus footage instead of releasing a deluxe DVD set that costs $160. Or just release more CDs with unreleased songs. The Billie Jean part has already been on home video for years on video compilations by Mike himself. It's not out of print. So if someone is only interested in seeing the moonwalk, there is no point in buying this. He doesn't do it during the Jacksons part.

Anyone who just wanted the The Jacksons part of Motown 25 could just buy the DVD with only the special since it was the cheapest, and not the 2 different deluxe versions with the extra footage and new interviews. There were 3 different versions that could be bought. So how would Mike be a selling point of the deluxe versions?

Duran youre picking out only specifics of my posts.. why are you looking over things like "There's people that buy it not only for MJ..." and there's "other reasons it was a good show"..

Plus 'Going Back To Indiana' or 'J5 Mexico' did not have Michaels first moonwalk... The same moonwalk that tv specials, documentaries, speak about and even in music history classes teach about.

I always liked the band leader clapping to the beat during MJ's performance of Bille Jean.

Such an amazing night, that bitterly failed so many people.

I love the show, but the Supremes section is a shambles- no mention of the Funk Brothers, Martha Reeves and Mary Wells getting 30 seconds, No Gladys, no Marvelettes, Adam Ant...

BUT- Stevie Wonder, Smokey and the Miracles, J5 & MJ, Marvin Gaye, Battle of the Bands- one of the most amazing nights in musical history.

A major gripe I have, is there was no mention by Berry or official acknowledgement of Flo Bollard's passing. A night that was supposed to showcase Motown as one big happy family, their actions spoke volumes and highlighted that not everything bad written or said about Berry or Motown at the time was lies.

Is this new or old? I remember that there was a release like this some time ago and it had only few seconds of Michael rehearsing Billie Jean.

I don't know! The one that was released last year just showed a few secs bc they couldn't get Estate permission. This sounds all new. Maybe someone will clarify with the Estate or Suzanne by twitter.

sounds cool, I hope it's new

So do I. It sounds just like the program that was shown on TV a little while back. :huh:

It`s 3 disc more than the first release:

And this sounds clearly like it is the full reharsal of Billie Jean

•Never-before-seen rehearsal footage of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” with Michael going through his paces in a t-shirt and jeans.​

^ I wonder if the description of what he wore is a little off and is done the same time the rest of the rehearsal was done.. so wearing a white shirt and jeans.. or it was done another time in a t-shirt...

^ I wonder if the description of what he wore is a little off and is done the same time the rest of the rehearsal was done.. so wearing a white shirt and jeans.. or it was done another time in a t-shirt...

It was a white dress shirt and form fitting blue jeans

Back