Now that the dust has settled, which posthumous album do you prefer?

What posthumous album is the best?

• Michael

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Xscape

Votes: 33 73.3%

• Total voters

filmandmusic

Proud Member
The Estate can say whatever they want, the 3 songs officially don’t exist anymore in the name of Michael Jackson.
Since we didn’t get the original tracks on Michael we have to compare it with the remixes of Xscape so don’t think about the original recordings in your choice.
So 7 track Michael or 8 track Xscape?

I neglected Michael because of the controversies so I’m going to listen to both a couple of times before voting myself

I listened a couple of times. The short duration of both albums is a definite plus over let's say Invincible. The remixes on Xscape are better than those on BOTDF but Michael as some have pointed out "Michael" feels much closer to an actual MJ album. My favorite tracks are also on Michael (like the way you love me, best of joy). Hollywood tonight is serviceable but the unfinished demo has so much more potential, it is very funky, they strayed too far from that version. The Lenny Kravitz and Akon co starred tracks leave me cold. Behind the mask is well done, I think the original isn't far removed though we haven't heard it yet, much too soon is sweet, there is a more stripped version floating around that I like better (not sure if it is fan made).

Now if measured with the original versions of Xscape I'd definitely go for Xscape, the remixes are modern and danceable and there is a cohesion between them, that's good but apart from the beat to "a place with no name" there really isn't anything truly memorable

Overall I still feel it is close but I vote "Michael" and that is basically on the beauty of the 2 ballads that I adore so much.

Definitely Michael. I have issues with the way that album was put together, but they at least took MJ and the songs into account when doing it. For Xscape they just made new songs and slapped MJ's vocals on it.

Definitely Michael. Songs like Best of Joy, Much Too Soon, Hollywood Tonight and Hold My Hand are like my favourite posthumous songs. Best of Joy is my favourite Michael Jackson song released in the 21st century.

Last edited:
Deffo Xscape. Timbaland production is stellar apart from Blue Gangsta. Most of the remixes better than the demos.

Michael was just ok.

My first impulse was : XSCAPE!!
But on second thought, it's actually pretty close. 'Michael' has the better ballads in my opinion with Much Too Soon and Hold My Hand being absolute bangers!
However, I feel like the potential wasn't really stretched out on 'Michael' while Xscape was done as well as it was possible (despite the absolutely horrible Do You Wanna Know Where Your Children Are remix)

Xscape, because it has more personal favourites: A Place with No Name, Slave to the Rhythm,
Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Xscape

Michael: Hollywood Tonight, Another Day, Behind the Mask

Xscape - too many great songs and again the original mixes, although I don't mind the remixes. Those songs are catchy - Chicago in particular. Blu Gangsta is the ultimate chant and Xscape is definitely Dangerous's son (The cut).

Michael only has 3 good songs, the rest is meh!

I just thought, what about the extra cuts on Bad25, they are probably better still, Al Capone, Don't be messing around, etc

Michael does have better songs But it's so much wrong with it conceptually, right down to the album cover and name. Sentimental sure, but not in the vein of an MJ record.

And the record is not even sequenced well. When did MJ EVER start off with a Ballad? (In his adulthood, nobody start with the corrections)

Xscape may have taken liberties, but at least they were trying to be Michael Jackson. And they tried to make an album, a record where every song is meant to be a big hit and get huge play.

i got both in the same playlist. so for me it's one posthumous collection of songs.

Michael: horrible album cover, fake songs, re-using old songs (The Way You Love Me).
but some gems like Hollywood Tonight (i absolutely adore that song!) and Behind The Mask sounds so fresh!

Xscape feels like MJ in 2014. The album cover is so much better and looks "recent".
The re-mixes sound like something Michael could have done in 2014. Don't forget, his older albums also had the sound of a certain era (70s, 80s,90s,00s). So a 2010s album like Xscape (regarding the sound), seemed realistic to me.
The songs were way to short and the DYKWYCA remix was absolutely awful (the 2010 Mix of that song is a banger).
Blue Gangsta, Loving You and "Chicago" were massively improved.

Overall: Xscape wins. It has no fillers (except one ruined song, which was perfect in the 2010 Mix).

Back