Off the wall outtakes

Richard76

Heartbreaker
Country
Russia
Can somebody name all (or at least most of them) Off The Wall album outtakes, that were leaked/released in a good quality, please? I'm just making my OTW era playlist, but I have a problem with unreleased material of this era. Are there any songs, that were planned for OTW album, but were declined just in the last moment?

635877564456678798-MJ-scan-2731.jpg

A Baby Smiles"*Michael Jackson
  • Lyrics to the song were featured as a poem titled "When A Baby Smiles" in the 1992 book Dancing the Dream
  • Written and recorded in 1979 for the Off the Wall album
  • Reworked in 1990
  • Failed to make the Dangerous album
[8]
"Good Night"Rod Temperton
  • Written and recorded in 1979
  • Failed to make the Off The Wall album
  • Considered for Thriller album
  • Has a poem spoken by Michael at the end
"Thank You For Life"*(1984)Michael Jackson
  • Written and recorded between 1976-1978
[71]
"Under Your Skin"(1984)Michael Jackson
  • Written in 1979
  • Also known as "Under My Skin"
[77]

Last edited:
Don't read the wikia, it's full of false info. Good Night isn't a real song and A Baby Smiles wasn't reworked in 1990, I don't think it's even known if the song was recorded or not.
"Goin' To Rio"*Michael Jackson
Carole Bayer Sager
  • Written in 1976
  • Failed to make the Off the Wall album
[37]
That's a fake snippet.

Apart from Sunset Driver (which now the Estate says it's a Thriller era song completely) we have no OTW outtakes, it's the era we have the least outtakes from.

Don't read the wikia, it's full of false info. Good Night isn't a real song and A Baby Smiles wasn't reworked in 1990, I don't think it's even known if the song was recorded or not.

That's a fake snippet.

Apart from Sunset Driver (which now the Estate says it's a Thriller era song completely) we have no OTW outtakes, it's the era we have the least outtakes from.
You are damn wrong, my friend. First of all, Going to Rio is Indeed OTW outtake. Secondly, The era, we have the least ottakes from, is History era! OTW era has a lot of outtakes. We just have to find out, which outtakes are fake and which are real

Going to Rio is Indeed OTW outtake.
Technically not because MJ mentioned he wrote it way before Off The Wall. And also, I meant that we don't have outtakes that were leaked/released.
The era, we have the least ottakes from, is History era! OTW era has a lot of outtakes. We just have to find out, which outtakes are fake and which are real
There were plenty of outtakes from HIStory, but most of it was either leaked or released. OTW doesn't have more than a dozen outtakes at most.

Rumor has it sunset driver was recorded for off the wall, personally I doubt it but who knows.

We only have Sunset Driver and What A Lovely Way to Go [I wouldn't call this an outtake]. The rest of the songs are unreleased.

Last edited:
Not many outtakes for OTW because MJ was on tour with his brothers. They used almost all they had recorded for the album.

Michael said during his 1993 deposition that some of the early unreleased songs mentioned were considered for the album

Rumor has it sunset driver was recorded for off the wall, personally I doubt it but who knows.
I mean, before Thriller 40 it was the general consensus that Sunset Driver was an outtake from Off The WallšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
MJ-Fandom-Wiki states that the song we got on Thriller 40 and the Ultimate Collection was actually the re-worked demo for Thriller! Yet the song was first written and recorded for Off The Wall, but if some recordings of that era survived, they definitely weren't leaked yet.
That's all I could find about this topic.

I mean, before Thriller 40 it was the general consensus that Sunset Driver was an outtake from Off The WallšŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
MJ-Fandom-Wiki states that the song we got on Thriller 40 and the Ultimate Collection was actually the re-worked demo for Thriller! Yet the song was first written and recorded for Off The Wall, but if some recordings of that era survived, they definitely weren't leaked yet.
It never sounded like off the wall to me. Earliest I'd say was 1980. It just had music like that era.

Technically, none.

ā€œSunset Driverā€ is from Thriller. ā€œWhat a Lovely Way to Goā€ is from the late 1970s, though that could mean anything. No other title has been confirmed to be from the era.

An high quality version of the 1978 demo of Sunset Driver definitely exists. Michael wanted to use it on the 2001 special edition version of OTW. It was vetoed by the label I believe

An high quality version of the 1978 demo of Sunset Driver definitely exists. Michael wanted to use it on the 2001 special edition version of OTW. It was vetoed by the label I believe
Interesting! Never knew about that...
Hopefully we get to hear it someday. Especially if Michael approved it to be released! Then it definitely has to be good

Back