Ok, Why did MJ Make so many versions of Don't Be Messin' 'Round?

I really wish Michael had prioritised finishing,

Ghost Of Another Lover
Beautiful Girl
People Of The World
Hollywood Tonight
Don't Be Messin' Round

Those melodies are stellar and would have made the base of a killer album.
Imagine those demo's finished and fully formed

I wish more songs from the late 90's/2000's were finished, it makes me really sad when I hear how great the sound of those songs are but we'll likely never get to hear them due to how unfinished they are.

I wish more songs from the late 90's/2000's were finished, it makes me really sad when I hear how great the sound of those songs are but we'll likely never get to hear them due to how unfinished they are.

They'll likely rifle through it all and take what's usable for remixes or features.

I really wish Michael had prioritised finishing,
Ghost Of Another Lover
Beautiful Girl
People Of The World
Hollywood Tonight
Don't Be Messin' Round

Those melodies are stellar and would have made the base of a killer album.
Michael planned to finish Beautiful Girl, Ghost of Another Lover and Hollywood Tonight. DBMR was possibly finished in 08 and People Of The World was a song written and composed for J-Friends. He never intended to release the song with his vocals.

Yeah I just wish he didn't plan to give POTW away, I think the melody is beautiful and the lyrics that are there are great.

I bet there's fragments of ideas from 2004-09 that are truly special and magic as well, but of the incomplete songs we've heard, I think those 5 had potential. It's such a shame Mike wasn't in the head space to finish them up

I feel like it could easily pass, after all the vocals of BoJ and The Toy sound almost identical, maybe with the version from Dangerous the difference is even less noticeable.
It’s not just the quality of the vocals in itself but also the vocal delivery. A good example is the demo for For All Time compared to the finished version. The demo has different phrasings, different pronounciations and a slightly different melodic rhythm on certain words that did not flow as well as the changes he made for the final version for For All Time.

The same can be said for the toy/ best of joy. His phrasing and rhythm flows much better in best of joy than it does on the toy imo, so it is understandable that he wanted to work on those elements. So instead of just punching in a single line here and there he opted for re-recording the entire thing which, in most cases, makes it less jarring.

It’s not just the quality of the vocals in itself but also the vocal delivery. A good example is the demo for For All Time compared to the finished version. The demo has different phrasings, different pronounciations and a slightly different melodic rhythm on certain words that did not flow as well as the changes he made for the final version for For All Time.

The same can be said for the toy/ best of joy. His phrasing and rhythm flows much better in best of joy than it does on the toy imo, so it is understandable that he wanted to work on those elements. So instead of just punching in a single line here and there he opted for re-recording the entire thing which, in most cases, makes it less jarring.
Ngl, I didn't even know there was a difference between For All Time 91 and 08. Aside from the bridge. He actually sang it over?

Ngl, I didn't even know there was a difference between For All Time 91 and 08. Aside from the bridge. He actually sang it over?

There was an alternate take of the song played at one of the seminars, it's on youtube. The dat leak is the same vocals as the released version, the bridge vocals are just buried on the version that leaked for some reason. IIRC all MJ added in 07 were some strings.

This is why I say maybe with the 90's version the pronounciations are a bit different and the difference between the '08 version might be less noticeable but it'll fall into speculation at this point since we don't have that version of the song. I just wish MJ had spent his time working on his newer demos instead of a vocally finished song from the 80's-90's lol.

Last edited:
Back