Ola Ray "Thriller" Co-Star Heads to Jury Trial with Michael Jackson's Estate [Case Settled]

Re: "Thriller" Co-Star Heads to Jury Trial with Michael Jackson's Estate [Case Settled]

Sound like she did not get enough in her settlement

settlement in most cases happens to be lower than what can be won at trial.

Think like this

If Ola lost she would have gotten 0 plus have legal expenses
if she won she would have gotten (let's say) $150 K

so a $55 K + $20 K to her lawyer = $ 75 just happens to be the mid point and mathematically the 50-50 win - lose amount.

If she wanted the full amount - and also risk getting nothing - she had the option to go the trial. However this $75 K happens to be the no risk mid point settlement.

Re: Ola Ray "Thriller" Co-Star Heads to Jury Trial with Michael Jackson's Estate [Case Settled]

Take a bow Ola, hopefully this is the end of that. I wonder how much she got to do the video--maybe not much since she was not a big star at the time, so that 50 thousand must seem a lot to her.

Re: Ola Ray "Thriller" Co-Star Heads to Jury Trial with Michael Jackson's Estate [Case Settled]

Why would Ola have receive royalties if she had nothing to do with the Thriller creation... :scratch: At leas she'll stop nagging.

Well she did play a role in the video so in a way she was involved with thiller in that sense .

Yes, she appeared on Thriller but she didn't write the story of it like Michael and John Landis did, she didn't came up with the concepts for the film either but I thought before if you don't have to do with the creation of a video, movie, etc you have to sign an agreement similar to the one Vincent Price declined to sign to recieve royalties from his participation.

And Ola didn't have nothing to do with the Thriller success either I'm sure many male fans found her pretty/attractive she wasn't the main focus of the film, the main focus was Michael (his transformation, his acting, his coreography.)

Snow White luvs Peter Pan;3761210 said:
Yes, she appeared on Thriller but she didn't write the story of it like Michael and John Landis did, she didn't came up with the concepts for the film either but I thought before if you don't have to do with the creation of a video, movie, etc you have to sign an agreement similar to the one Vincent Price declined to sign to recieve royalties from his participation.

I suppose appearing in the videos has the same system than playing guitar in someones album. You get royalties if you have something to do with it. I had a problem understanding how the whole thing worked but I think I got it.
Movie actors get their flat payment when they act in the movie, there have been cases that some hight profile actors have agreement that they get certain percentage of the profit (in music world it is called royalties) if they take smaller flat payment.

Vincent Price chose to take flat payment from his part for Thriller
"Vincent Price told Johnny Carson that when he agreed to do the voice work, he was given a choice between taking a percentage of the album proceeds or being paid a flat $20,000. He chose the $20K; his career was well-established and money wasn’t a huge issue. When Carson suggested that Price could have done a lot better if he had chosen album proceeds, he laughed amiably and said “How well I know!” Considering that more than 110 million copies of Thriller have been sold to date, Carson was spot-on. "

At first I thought Ola was paid like actors usually,flat payment, but obviously she chose percentage of album proceeds.

While I'm glad the case has been settled, I don't like it that she took so long to sue. Not to mention that she dropped her lawsuit soon after she first filed it saying that she had found out that her payments were not Michael's responsibility if I remember correctly. Then later, she decided to refile the lawsuit and now it's been settled. I don't like when people do things like this after years of saying or doing nothing and drag Michael through the mud yet again. But at least this case is over.

^^I think at first when she mentioned not being paid, she said it was not Michael's fault. From that I thought she meant that some management had to pay her and was not following up.

Very confused

Back