Out of all the MJ greatest hits/best of/retrospective albums which one is the best ?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I think we can all agree there are too many of those albums and most of them released in a very short timespan making most of those completely redundant.
Of all the albums released which one is the best in your opinion?

Would you like it if all these albums got discontinued in favor of one all encompassing 3 disc carrier retrospective? What would the tracklist look like? OR what if you think the best compilation already exists, would you be in favor of the Estate discontinuing all other compilation albums in favor of just that one?

I think the HIStory disc 1 should never have existed, it is incredibly incomplete. Considering we got 5 brand new tracks just 2 years later it is obvious it should have been a double album of new songs. If they had brought down the tracklist from 15 to 12 and add those 3 tracks that got left out to the 5 new tracks on BOTDF the second disc only needed 4 more new tracks which I am sure MJ already had when HIStory as we know it got released.

I'm gonna get back on this later when I have more time.

Disc 1 (all of these are top 10 hits in the UK or USA + the Christmas classic. 17 songs it could be hard to fit on 1 disc?)
Isn’t this incredible to have 16 top 10 hits before age 18… 🤪

I want you back
ABC
The love you save
I’ll be there
Santa clause is coming to town
Got to be there
Rockin Robin
Ain’t no sunshine
Ben
Mama’s pearl
Never can say goodbye
Sugar daddy
Lookin through the windows
Doctor my eyes
Dancing Machine
One day in your life
Farewell my summer love

Disc 2

Enjoy yourself
Show you the way to go
Blame it on the boogie
Shake your body
Don’t stop till you get enough
Rock with you
Off the wall
She’s out of my life
Lovely one
Heartbreak hotel
Can you feel it
Walk right now
Say say say
State of Shock
Torture

Disc 3

The girl is mine
Billie jean
Beat it
Wanna be startin something
Thriller
Human nature
PYT
I just can’t stop loving you
Bad
The way you make le feel
Dirty Diana
Man in the mirror
Smooth criminal
Another part of me

Disc 4

Leave me alone
Black or white
Remember the time
In the closet
Heal the world
Who is it
Give in to me
Will you be there
Scream
You are not alone
Earth song
They don’t care about us
Stranger in Moscow
You rock my world
Love never felt so good

Well this is just a rough idea. It turned out ti be a 4 disc set with from what I remember all his top 10 hits excluding “why“ with 3T And one more chance. I also took the liberty of picking APOM, lovely one, torture and heartbreak hotel despite just missing out on the top 10 but they were huge hits in the “ black music” charts.

Each disc could be accompanied witha nice live dvd of the era 🤣

Like I said, The Essential Michael Jackson is pretty good. Especially the rare 3 Disc Version.

The 'HIStory' disc 1 is not only very incomplete, but also the order of the songs is messed-up.

These classic hits should have been placed in chronological order because they were meant to present his story.

In any case, the biggest problem of the track list of that disc is the glaring omission of 'Smooth Criminal', which was a song that largely defined his story.

Also, Michael Jackson certainly had 4 more, new (and complete) songs for the 'HIStory' disc 2, but either they were not considered strong enough or they simply did not fit the album's overall theme.

For example, the 'Why' song (solo version) was not included apparently because it did not fit the album's overall theme.

I’m with @mj_frenzy on this. You cannot have a greatest hits without dirty diana and smooth criminal. The entire greatest hits idea to me seemed it was to try to sell the album. I can imagine they were squeamish after the allegations… Without the allegations Michael would have never approved a greatest hits package (I think)

It’s pretty awesome though that 3 of his absolute biggest most iconic hits then got released one after the other you are not alone - earth song - they don’t care about us. I think it even surprised MJ himself that he was still able to score such big hits.

UK King of Pop album for Michael’s birthday in 2008 for me.

Voting for the track list was fun and it’s a great bunch of MJs songs

I’m with @mj_frenzy on this. You cannot have a greatest hits without dirty diana and smooth criminal. The entire greatest hits idea to me seemed it was to try to sell the album. I can imagine they were squeamish after the allegations… Without the allegations Michael would have never approved a greatest hits package (I think)
The idea of releasing a greatest hits album goes back to 1989, with Decade. HIStory is simply an expanded version of what Decade was going to be.

He had to do a greatest hits album because the record company wanted him to, but since he found these kinds of albums boring, as he himself has admitted, he created a fully new album to go with it, instead of the usual 1-2 new songs.

So, the allegations were not the reason for the release of the greatest hits. It was the initial idea from the very first day when he went into the studio in early 1994.

Michael’s best greatest hits album is called BAD.
It is funny how he could have released a full greatest hits album after both thriller and bad were released only with songs from these 2 albums.

Back