Post Trial Songs (2005-2009)

Thanks very much for this new info.

post trial songs are the most interesting ones imo...
i mean, just listen to those TWYMMF adlibs during this is it rehearshals:
https://youtu.be/mwvOyivDHuk?t=155
(at 2:40min and 3:40min)

his gritty voice sounded way better than in early 2000s.

I've always found it weird that just this song was uploaded, surely they recorded more hahaha. Unless it's those other recordings where MJ isn't performing.

now this is a GEM!
do you have more?
also he was having troubles keeping pitch and pushed too hard on that high note on 3:40 but nothing a good warmup wouldn't solve,i need to hear more so let me know if you know anything.
\
also this thread is EVERYTHING,the last songs he did are the most intriguing to me so if anyone has any info...

Just hopping on to ask if it's been confirmed, then, (from travis3000) that "H2O/Dark Lady" and "Water" are separate songs?

There are fan recordings of every song that did not make This Is It documentary, Not all have been publicly shared with the fan community.

There are fan recordings of every song that did not make This Is It documentary, Not all have been publicly shared with the fan community.

where can i hear them?
i dont get why people dont share that stuff what difference would it make to anything

Bobi MJ;4320034 said:
Post Trial songs:

1. You Are So Beautiful (2005) [Written by MJ during the trial as a thank you to the fans' support. It's unknown if it was ever recorded. Some lyrics were "leaked" but their authenticity is not confirmed yet.]

2. I Have This Dream (2005/2006) [Written by MJ, David Foster, Carol Bayer Sager after the trial in Bahrain. It was supposed to be a charity single dedicated to the victims of the Katrina hurricane. There was a writing competition and the winner got his version released. I think the writers didn't give credits to MJ and that's why it never came out.]

3. Bottom Of My Heart/From The Bottom Of My Heart (2005/2006) [I'm sure that an alternative name for "I Have This Dream" because it was recorded around the same time and it's also dedicated to the victims of the Katrina hurricane.]

4. I'm Dreamin' (2006/?2007?) [The first ever song MJ and will.i.am worked on together when they were in Ireland. It has vocals and will.i.am planned to release it on "willpower" in 2013 but the MJ's estate stopped him.]

5. The King/Still The King/ I'm Still The King (2006/2007) [Another of the songs that MJ and will.i.am worked on together. It's about Michael's influence on younger generations of artists but that he is still the King. It was planned to feature artists influenced by MJ like Usher and Ne-Yo. They had never the chance to finish it. It is unknown if Michael ever recorded his vocal parts. will.i.am was unsure at the time if it would make it on the album. will.i.am played some snippets of some of the songs they worked on together and it's known that some of them are "The King".]

6. The Future/?In The Future? (?2006?/2007) [Another of the songs that MJ and will.i.am worked on together. A song about environmental issues. Contains a "killer Latin beat". will.i.am described as a "very demanding" song and it "order and demanded people to the dance floor".]

7. I'm Gonna Miss You/I Will Miss You (2006/?2007?) [Another of the songs that MJ and will.i.am worked on together. A mid-tempo track inspired by James Brown's death in 2006. It was never completed according to will.i.am.]

8. Can You (2006/2007) [Another of the songs that MJ and will.i.am worked on together. Vocals were recorded. But the song isn't finished.]

9. If We Still Love (2006/2007) [Another of the songs that MJ and will.i.am worked on together.]

10. A Ballad Possibly Featuring John Legend (2006/2007) [Another of the songs that MJ and will.i.am worked on together. They were some rumors that a ballad with possibly John Legend was going to be recorded in Ireland.]

11. Hold My Hand (2007) [A duet between MJ and Akon. The song was originally for Akon by he gave it to MJ and the track became a duet between them. But it was leaked the following year in 2008. MJ got very upset and the track wasn't finished at the time. He wanted that song to be the first single for his next album.]

12. I Was The Loser (2008) [One of the 3 last songs MJ ever recorded full vocals. Originally written in 2003 with little changes here. It's an updated version of the song "I Am A Loser". It was recorded in Bel Air Hotel room in late summer 2008. He only changed the chorus from "I Am A Loser" to "I Was The Loser".]

13. Best Of Joy (2008/2009) [One of the 3 last songs MJ ever recorded full vocals if not the last one. Originally written and recorded between the 80s and the 90s. It was recorded in the Bel Air Hotel room in late summer 2008. The original idea for the song was pre 1997 and MJ only resang the lyrics. There are some changes in the music between the original and the 2008 version.]

14. Water (2009) [Apparently written and recorded in early 2009 at the Carolwood house. Only the chorus was recorded which MJ sang in the "This Is It" film. Worked with Neff-U and Michael Prince. The production is complex, with water droplets and a "Stranger in Moscow" aesthetic. And people have described it as "amazing" and "magical."

15. H2O/(?Dark Lady?) (2007/2008) [I believe it was started with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince, and Neff-U contributed some musical elements. The baseline recalls Queen’s "Under Pressure". the melody has Arabic influences, and beatboxing is prominent throughout. Multiple people said it would’ve been an incredible comeback single for MJ. The vocals are allegedly very unfinished, but there’s enough to be reworked into a "Don’t Matter to Me" type collaboration.

16. D.I.E/(?Dance Is Entertainment?) (2008/2009) [One of the songs that Neff-U worked on. Some sources are stating that the song was only worked in 2008. Others that it was worked between2008 & 2009 and during the "This Is It" rehearsals. According to a user on the MJJCommunity forums, the song is a rock track. There are some leaker snippets of it but none of them are confirmed real.]

17. Breathe/River Ripple (2009) [THE last song MJ ever worked on. The vocals were never recorded because the lyrics weren't even written before he died. I little snippet of the composition is online. He prepared this song in the form of a ballad for an African choir to help him in choirs along with his children but I don't know if this is true. It was worked with Deepak Chopra. He suggested that the lyrics would be: "The trees are our lungs, the air is our breath, the rivers and waters are our circulation. The earth is our body".]

18. Adore You (2008/2009) [Originally written during the "Invincible" sessions. Recorded between 2008 and 2009. Worked with Brad Buxler and Michar Prince.]

Post trial songs that nothing is known about them:

19. Boy No
20. Broken Chair
21. Rocker
22. Changes [I am not sure if is post trial era.]
23. Don't Be Messin' [I am not sure if is post trial era.]
24. Hollywood [Not related to "Hollywood Tonight" at all.]
25. Michael's Affirmation
26. Bang Your Head
27. Butterfunk
28. Don't Make Me Stay
29. For The World
30. Green Hornet Groove
31. I Love You More
32. King Tutankhamun
33. Lady Of Summer
34. Light The Way
35. Lovin' You [Not related to "Loving You" at all or maybe it is a reworked version, I don't know.]
36. Pajamas
37. Photographs
38. Pray For Peace
39. Silent Spring
40. Think Twice
41. Walk Away
42. You Are There

Please correct me if I wrote something wrong or if I missed something. Thanks!

Sources: AwaysThere, U.S. Copyright Office, the book "Man in the Music", and more...

I doubt we will hear anything with John Legend. Remember he believes the liars. No thanks John.

Where are we getting that "Hollywood" and Hollywood Tonight are not the same song?

^^^

Truth is we know nothing - but we assume and guess a lot. :)

BUT - AlwaysThere has put together many information from reliable sources - so his guesses are the most reliable IMO - and he has quite many information about different songs - and the state of completion.

Bobi MJ;4320034 said:
Post Trial songs:

10. A Ballad Possibly Featuring John Legend (2006/2007) [Another of the songs that MJ and will.i.am worked on together. They were some rumors that a ballad with possibly John Legend was going to be recorded in Ireland.

Smooth72;4320071 said:
I doubt we will hear anything with John Legend. Remember he believes the liars. No thanks John.

Rolling Stone magazine reported in 2007 that John Legend just wrote one song that he submitted to Michael Jackson for inclusion on the new album that he was working on (with will.i.am) at that time.

Michael Jackson apparently did not record vocals on that song because will.i.am never mentioned that song as a vocally complete (or nearly complete) track.

Bobi MJ;4320034 said:
Post trial songs that nothing is known about them:

24. Hollywood [Not related to "Hollywood Tonight" at all.]

SmoothGangsta;4320072 said:
Where are we getting that "Hollywood" and Hollywood Tonight are not the same song?

‘Hollywood Tonight’ is an already released song, which was co-written in 1999 by three different men: Michael Jackson, Brad Buxer, and Teddy Riley.

Michael Jackson kept recording ‘Hollywood Tonight’ over the next ten years, and the last recording session of it took place in October (2008).

But some sources suggest that there is also the ‘Hollywood’ song, totally unrelated to the ‘Hollywood Tonight’ song.

According to these sources, ‘Hollywood’ (a still unheard track) was written solely by Michael Jackson in 2000, he recorded it in the same year (in 2000), and some years later (in 2006) he re-worked it for inclusion on his comeback album.

what do we know about RedOne's songs? except from slave to the rhythm ?
i never seen his name pop up in unreleased discussions

I'm going to continue to assume that Hollywood and
Hollywood tonight are the same song seeing as there's no evidence saying it's not. MJ was working on it at the time so it makes sense that it'd be on his list. He simply shortened the title.

Yeah, odds are “Hollywood” and “Hollywood Tonight” are one and the same. There’s a handwritten note sheet where MJ writes about using a smooth muted bass tone for “Hollywood,” and we all know what he was talking about there.

As for the RedOne tracks... it seems to be pretty inconsistent. RedOne himself said there was enough material to cut together a few songs, whereas Damien Shields (who spoke with him at one point) said there were only snippets and melodic ideas. I’d love for someone to sit down with him and properly grill him about it.

06-09 songs that may or may have not been mentioned.. I copied/pasted this from some old notes of mine so excuse any repeat titles from earlier posts.

• Lady of Summer
  • Hollywood Tonight
  • Shut Up and Dance
  • Rock Tonight
  • Adore You
  • Breath
  • I Am That One
  • Everybody Wants to Be a Movie Star
  • Beautiful Girl
  • MJ Barry Gibb Song (All in Your Name)
  • Scared of the Moon
  • Thank Heaven
  • Ghost of Another Lover
  • Gloucestershire
  • Throwing Your Life Away
  • Leaving Today to Behin[d]
  • Lonely Bird
  • Broken Chair
  • Red Eye
  • Way You Love Me
  • The Loser
  • Best of Joy
  • D.I.E.
  • Is She Coming Back
  • Dark Lady H2O
  • Bottom of My Heart
  • Hold My Hand
  • Remember What I Told You
  • Can't Stop Loving You
  • Silent Spring
  • You Were There
  • Lady of Summer

• Leaving Today to Behind
  • I'm Dreamin'
  • You Are So Beautiful

Regarding music with John Legend, from my notes - he sent a ballad for Michael and there was not any info as to if it was ever recorded.

Honestly, even if these songs don’t exist with vocals, I would gladly buy an EP of instrumentals from the 2005-09 period. I’d love to hear what direction MJ was going with his brand-new songs.

Somebody needs ahold of “Rocker” and “H2O/Dark Lady” already. The amount of praise I’ve heard for those two in particular is ridiculous, and if they’ll never be officially released, they still need to be heard.

• Leaving Today to Behind

In my personal opinion, The handwriting on that list made it look like it said "Leaving Today to Benin" as in that country between Togo and Nigeria.

Here's the pic if anyone wants to share their guess as to what it says:

c8867a76c4a8a415b9865c99817ecb8c.1000x563x1.jpg

Vocally do you know how complete Rocker & H20/Dark Lady are?
AlwaysThere;4320140 said:
Honestly, even if these songs don’t exist with vocals, I would gladly buy an EP of instrumentals from the 2005-09 period. I’d love to hear what direction MJ was going with his brand-new songs.

Somebody needs ahold of “Rocker” and “H2O/Dark Lady” already. The amount of praise I’ve heard for those two in particular is ridiculous, and if they’ll never be officially released, they still need to be heard.

I actually DO have proof that these 2 are COMPLETELY different. So, "Hollywood Tonight" was written by MJ, Brad Buxer, and Teddy Riley. But "Hollywood" was only worked/written by MJ, Michael Prince, and Brad Buxer. This is coming from the U.S. Copyright Office. If you check "Hollywood Tonight" you'll see Tedy Riley but different people were credited for "Hollywood". It's weird to be a reworked version EVEN it's actually possible to be a reworked version. But if it was the same song, then why they were registered separately. I've never seen the same songs registered under different names and different credits.

Teddy Riley did not write Hollywood Tonight. He wrote that awful spoken bridge in 2010. That's why he's credited on the song. Hollywood Tonight and Hollywood are the same song.

rolerprod;4320133 said:
what do we know about RedOne's songs? except from slave to the rhythm ?
i never seen his name pop up in unreleased discussions

AlwaysThere;4320136 said:
As for the RedOne tracks... it seems to be pretty inconsistent. RedOne himself said there was enough material to cut together a few songs, whereas Damien Shields (who spoke with him at one point) said there were only snippets and melodic ideas. I’d love for someone to sit down with him and properly grill him about it.

RedOne hinted that there are entire songs, rather than snippets and melodic ideas.

All the songs that RedOne worked on with Michael Jackson have Michael Jackson’s vocals on them.

Apart from one song, the last one which has Bruno Mars’ voice instead of Michael Jackson’s voice:

“… He [Michael Jackson] went in to record the vocals and started singing that I realized again that Michael Jackson is in front of me, I got chills while listening to him singing … I recorded the last song I was supposed to work on with Michael with the voice of Bruno Mars because his voice sounds so similar to Michael’s…” (RedOne)

The RedOne recording sessions lasted approximately two months, and (according to the producer) Michael Jackson appeared to be in good spirits while recording his vocals on them.

These songs seem to be musically similar to Lady Gaga’s ‘Poker Face’ song (2008) because Michael Jackson liked a lot this particular song, so he called RedOne (who produced this song) to work together on musically similar songs.

RedOne described the songs (that he worked on with Michael Jackson) as danceable, energetic and uplifting.

The producer did not reveal how many of these songs are complete enough for a release, but he did indicate that they could fill half an album.

mj_frenzy;4320159 said:
RedOne hinted that there are entire songs, rather than snippets and melodic ideas.

All the songs that RedOne worked on with Michael Jackson have Michael Jackson’s vocals on them.

Apart from one song, the last one which has Bruno Mars’ voice instead of Michael Jackson’s voice:

“… He [Michael Jackson] went in to record the vocals and started singing that I realized again that Michael Jackson is in front of me, I got chills while listening to him singing … I recorded the last song I was supposed to work on with Michael with the voice of Bruno Mars because his voice sounds so similar to Michael’s…” (RedOne)

The RedOne recording sessions lasted approximately two months, and (according to the producer) Michael Jackson appeared to be in good spirits while recording his vocals on them.

These songs seem to be musically similar to Lady Gaga’s ‘Poker Face’ song (2008) because Michael Jackson liked a lot this particular song, so he called RedOne (who produced this song) to work together on musically similar songs.

RedOne described the songs (that he worked on with Michael Jackson) as danceable, energetic and uplifting.

The producer did not reveal how many of these songs are complete enough for a release, but he did indicate that they could fill half an album.

its so strange how he just sleeps on these songs...how could you do that and for what reason would you do it i dont get it,also hes right with bruno sounding so similar good call ,ill google them to see if that song was released.
also i hated Redones productions so i wasnt into it when mj worked with him ,very unlike him imo but maybe they were good idk

AlwaysThere;4320140 said:

Couldn't agree more - people clamor for all sorts of MJ stuff, 4K concerts, the short films etc etc but to hear these recordings & the direction he was going in would excite me the most, albeit very bittersweet.

It's great to have more information about the direction was heading in. I'd love to hear Dark Lady/H20 or Rocker
Are H20/Dark Lady the same song?
I'd love to know more about the song Broken Chair, I've heard it was written around the Bad era then worked on again in 2008 but I speak with no authority on this, it was just an interesting title

I always assumed Hollywood was Hollywood Tonight. On the handwritten notes MJ writes on Hollywood not on Hollywood Tonight
It's similar to how he called You Rock My World, Rock My World in interviews (private home movies I think)
The chorus of Hollywood Tonight always reminded of Bad and I can't picture that song ever being called Who's Bad. Just my thoughts

Back