Qatar

Is Michael Jackson popular in Qatar?
The only place he's not popular is North Sentinel and perhaps North Korea which is who actually knows? Since some articles cite that he isn't very popular at all in NK as the people have no access to the outside world, but stories from the 90s report that people there were actually listening to his music in schools at the time.

Human rights expert Debra Liang-Fenton made an interesting statement about Michael Jackson's lack of popularity in North Korea.

She stated that very few people in North Korea knew who Michael Jackson was, and these very few people did not even realize (in the following years of his death) that Michael Jackson had died.

2 British journalists (posing as business men in order to enter North Korea in 2012) confirmed that, as well.

Human rights expert Debra Liang-Fenton made an interesting statement about Michael Jackson's lack of popularity in North Korea.

She stated that very few people in North Korea knew who Michael Jackson was, and these very few people did not even realize (in the following years of his death) that Michael Jackson had died.

2 British journalists (posing as business men in order to enter North Korea in 2012) confirmed that, as well.
Is Cristiano Ronaldo Popular in North Korea?

Is Cristiano Ronaldo Popular in North Korea?
Cristiano Ronaldo is popular in North Korea.

For example, there is a mobile game called 'King Of Scoring' (which was released in North Korea few years ago) and via that mobile game users can learn and practise different football skills by selecting certain football players.

One of these football players (in that mobile game) is Cristiano Ronaldo.

Cristiano Ronaldo is popular in North Korea.

For example, there is a mobile game called 'King Of Scoring' (which was released in North Korea few years ago) and via that mobile game users can learn and practise different football skills by selecting certain football players.

One of these football players (in that mobile game) is Cristiano Ronaldo.
Absurd, Cristiano Ronaldo is popular there and Michael Jackson, who is considered the most famous person in history, is not, what do you mean?

Absurd, Cristiano Ronaldo is popular there and Michael Jackson, who is considered the most famous person in history, is not, what do you mean?
Cristiano Ronaldo is famous because of the 2010 World Cup, where Portugal beat North Korea 7-0, with a match being broadcast nationally there for the first time. So everyone knows him for being Portugal's superstar, who destroyed North Korea and all the inhabitants of the country were watching.

Anyone whose left their home and has any kind of access to the outside world knows MJ, however North Korea isn't one of those places. Ronaldo is probably a exception due to the World cup having North Korean participants so by association they would know Ronaldo since his team played North Korea, and North Korea would obviously have access to the World Cup on Television with their team being in it

This thread made me realise that... Maybe... Somewhere... There may be an extra-terrestrial artist who is known across galaxies, and we're on the only planet where he/she/whatever is not know...

Now back to the topic: look: Qatar had a Michael Jacson concert in 2022:

Here it looks more professional... And we learn from this video that the show performed in Qatar was actually par of the HIStory Tour in Munich (I don't know what that means)

Now, one thing to consider is also that a large part of Qatar's population isn't necessarily (native) Qatari...

Sustainable urban development and green megaprojects in the Arab states of the Gulf Region: limitations said:
The-ethnicity-of-Qatars-population-Source-CIA-World-Factbook-2014.png

The ethnicity of Qatar's population. Source: CIA World Factbook 2014.

Needless to say, the effects of government-sponsored projects on this scale have been far-reaching. Apart from the physical transformation of the cities themselves, perhaps the most immediately obvious changes are demographic –a result of the immense numbers of immigrants that have been attracted to the Gulf. The situation may be roughly outlined as follows (Nagy 1998; Rizzo 2013): cheap labour from South Asia (mainly from India and Pakistan) has been employed in the labour-intensive construction industry, while South-East Asians (mainly from the Philippines and Indonesia) occupy the lower service sector; Arabs from the Middle East have expanded the capacity of the government in education and the public sector, while Western-educated expatriates have provided consultancy services for the design, implementation, and management of the newly built, or soon to be implemented, infrastructures. As a result of these demographic trends, the Gulf has become home to a very ethnically diverse population, mostly made up of temporary workers (Nagy 2006) which, in the case of Qatar and the UAE, outnumber nationals 5 to 1 (see Figures 2 and 3).

(Source: https://www.researchgate.net/figure...Source-CIA-World-Factbook-2014_fig1_303090516 )
So the question could also be answered that way: If MJ is popular in Pakistan, Iran and/or India and in the world in general then, statistically, he's likely also known in Qatar.

For those who thought only the "Western-educated expatriates" (from the quoted article) would know about MJ, don't worry, they will easily convert the whole country to listening to his music... like "- You don't know MJ? But, his most famous song is about a girl who is not his lover and she has a kid who is not his son. - Wow, tell me more, I want to know !"

Now, is he popular in:
- India? Yes, Google replies (quoting Quora I think) "Yes I agree MJ was/is extremely popular in India. I think he was made popular because during 1990s,the Indian youth got full access to TV unlike before and saw western music. I think Madonna and MJ are the most popular old musicians in India. The other two were not popular because Beatles disbanded in 1970."
- Pakistan? There are strong signs: Michael Jackson Spotted In Pakistan and
(Well... I'm not too sure about Pakistan now...)
- Iran: Proof MJ had some acquaintance with "Persia":
or yet from a very reliable source:
Michael Jackson becomes Voice of Dissent in Iran

Do you think this solves the question or is it too "approximate"?

Last edited:
This thread made me realise that... Maybe... Somewhere... There may be an extra-terrestrial artist who is known across galaxies, and we're on the only planet where he/she/whatever is not know...

Now back to the topic: look: Qatar had a Michael Jacson concert in 2022:

Here it looks more professional... And we learn from this video that the show performed in Qatar was actually par of the HIStory Tour in Munich (I don't know what that means)

Now, one thing to consider is also that a large part of Qatar's population isn't necessarily (native) Qatari...

So the question could also be answered that way: If MJ is popular in Pakistan, Iran and/or India and in the world in general then, statistically, he's likely also known in Qatar.

For those who thought only the "Western-educated expatriates" (from the quoted article) would know about MJ, don't worry, they will easily convert the whole country to listening to his music... like "- You don't know MJ? But, his most famous song is about a girl who is not his lover and she has a kid who is not his son. - Wow, tell me more, I want to know !"

Now, is he popular in:
- India? Yes, Google replies (quoting Quora I think) "Yes I agree MJ was/is extremely popular in India. I think he was made popular because during 1990s,the Indian youth got full access to TV unlike before and saw western music. I think Madonna and MJ are the most popular old musicians in India. The other two were not popular because Beatles disbanded in 1970."
- Pakistan? There are strong signs: Michael Jackson Spotted In Pakistan and
(Well... I'm not too sure about Pakistan now...)
- Iran: Proof MJ had some acquaintance with "Persia":
or yet from a very reliable source:
Michael Jackson becomes Voice of Dissent in Iran

Do you think this solves the question or is it too "approximate"?
Sometimes I think, was he and still is very popular in Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya?

Sometimes I think, was he and still is very popular in Afghanistan, Iraq or Libya?

Iraq: obviously, since Saddam Hussain performed a tribute dance to MJ, 6 years ago :

Libya ... Of course:
bdchp.jpeg

Afghanistan, hell yeah: The Afghan Michael Jackson

Well, these are only hints, some should keep searching further and find final proofs.

We can also start a new challenge: find a MJ meme for every country in the world (except North Korean).

Last edited:
Back