Radio personality compares Beyonce to MJ

This interview is so one sided.. Beyonce is very good and if she is around in another 10-15 more years she will be on Legendary status however Michael will hands down be the artist of This Generation and this Modern Era of Music!

Even in death, Michael sells more records than most "current" artists now.. Shall we bring up Miley Cyrus "Bangerz".. LOL Barely 700,000 Copies sold.

respect77;4107105 said:
What's the point in picking on Heal The World? According to the premise Single Ladies is an iconic song/video. You can pick some random MJ song and say SL was bigger than that, but fact is Michael has a lot more iconic/legendary songs than Beyoncé. That's the whole point and that is a fact whether you agree about one specific song like HTW or not. To keep belittling HTW in favour of SL is pretty much besides the point in my opinion.

And like I said it's an utterly unfair comparation too considering SL is a lot more current hit. Of course it has advantages because of that. I think nothing should be declared legendary or iconic until at least 20 years after its release.

Oh come on, it's hardly picking on. It's a pretty mature debate and the songs in terms of their chart success are actually relatively comparable as I learnt.

If you read the original post I responded to, Heal the World was compared to Single Ladies (The gist: "Everyones heard Billie Jean, Beat It and HTW, but in the Phillipines has heard of Single Ladies?"). So no, I didn't pick some random MJ song to compare it to, MJPrince1976 did and I argued that SL is probably more well known that HTW, before discussing it's potential iconic status. Then the comparisons between the two songs continued back and forth and here we are now.

I think it is fair and agreeable that you say nothing should be declared legendary or iconic until at least 20 years after it's release, so I will end with this. Do I think it has the potential to be seen as iconic in 12-13 years time? I think it does. Do I personally think in the longterm SL will be remembered better? Yes I do.

Feel free to agree, disagree (and I understandably expect most will disagree given the website I'm on) but ultimately, time will tell.

Oh come on, it's hardly picking on. It's a pretty mature debate and the songs in terms of their chart success are actually relatively comparable as I learnt.

If you read the original post I responded to, Heal the World was compared to Single Ladies (The gist: "Everyones heard Billie Jean, Beat It and HTW, but in the Phillipines has heard of Single Ladies?")

But you picked out one song a line of songs listed. While people can go back and forth about one specific song, HTW, but I think the larger point still remains.

respect77;4107127 said:
But you picked out one song a line of songs listed. While people can go back and forth about one specific song, HTW, but I think the larger point still remains.

When we talk about that one specific song MJPrince1976 mentioned, HTW, I stand by what I said.

If we broaden our horizon to the entire works of MJ and Beyoncé, then of course it's no contest with who has a more iconic/legendary legacy: MJ :p

Single Ladies did better than Heal The World in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain and the US Billboard Top 100 (aka, the most important singles chart in the USA).

Single Ladies also made 34 charts as opposed to Heal The World's 25 charts. Some countries have multiple charts so if you sum it down to countries, Single Ladies charted in 23 countries as opposed to 17 countries for Heal the World.

Heal the World reached Top 10 on 17 charts (14 countries). Single Ladies reached the top 10 on 19 charts (12 countries).

This is not to discount Heal The World's success, which obviously did very well but along with Heal the World, Single Ladies was also a global hit. There will obviously be countries where one song is more known than the other.

Let's not forget that HTW was released in the early 90s when there weren't any digital sales' charts. And opt out the availability of internet as well. And SL charted below the top 20s in many charts. Which of the two seems to be a bigger global hit now?

I'm from Pakistan btw :p

I'll never understand the love for Beyonce. She's a good entertainer, I'll give her that, but most of her music ranges from mediocre to just plain terrible. ''Single Ladies'' is terribly annoying.

Let's not forget that HTW was released in the early 90s when there weren't any digital sales' charts. And opt out the availability of internet as well. And SL charted below the top 20s in many charts. Which of the two seems to be a bigger global hit now?

I'm from Pakistan btw :p

Well, now that you've brought up the internet, Single Ladies actually. It has the advantage of being released in the era of the internet giving it quite the advantage (which is why I never included sales numbers in my post, try to guess which song outsold the other by a longshot?).

If anything, the internet has actually made it easier for people all over the world to get access to the song, that in turn would help increase it's global impact and become a more wider known song. Would that not help make it a bigger global hit? While I'm not ruling it out (as actually both songs chartings are quite comparable), there's more to music than just chart numbers and sales numbers especially in this day and age where illegal downloading is rampant (and yes, I'm aware of recording music off a radio onto tape. I did that when I was young). The internet has given Single Ladies the potential to reach even more people than HTW ever could. While you can use the internet as an acceptable reason for why Heal The World's sales aren't as high as Single Ladies, if you want to discuss the impact of the song and how well known it is (which we were originally discussing) it's not a factor you can simply throw out the window.

This'll be my last post on the SL vs HTW matter as this really is getting no where.

Last edited:
I forgot to add the sentence : "And with all the odds stacked against it in the comparison of fame of HtW and SL, HtW is still widely known in many far reaching parts of the globe. Generations upon generations know about it. The song still remains famous and very recognisable after more than 20 years. Many guys in my class back in 2008-09 knew about HTW and we were only 12 back then. None of them even knew who Beyonce was. But since 2010, this has changed. Mainly because of Beiber the temporary king of the tweens."

Back