Radio personality compares Beyonce to MJ

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
He starts talking about it on the 3:33 mark. What are your thoughts about this? I had to lol when he said Michael didn't produce his own songs.

[youtube]GAYvk_5GWI4[/youtube]

I think we shouldn't pay attention to every ignorant no one who says such nonsense. Same goes for the Rolling Stone by the way :lol:.

I think we shouldn't pay attention to every ignorant no one who says such nonsense. Same goes for the Rolling Stone by the way :lol:.

Very true! This charlamange guy is very popular on social media. He's one of the co-hosts on The Breakfast club and he's notorious for his outspokenness and "honesty" I think the other guy brings up valid points about Beyonce in general. I find it amazing that even though MJ had his fair share of trials and tribulations people still loved and revered him around the world. I wonder how loyal other artists fanbase would be when the hard times rolls through. We all saw what happened to Janet after the Superbowl incident.

Last edited:
He starts talking about it on the 3:33 mark. What are your thoughts about this? I had to lol when he said Michael didn't produce his own songs.

[youtube]GAYvk_5GWI4[/youtube]

This dudes been throwing shots at MJ for years, he even critics saying he didn't write most of his songs and wasn't one of the better singers.

This dudes been throwing shots at MJ for years, he even critics saying he didn't write most of his songs and wasn't one of the better singers.

MJ wrote almost all of his biggest hits and he did produce his own songs so he's flat out wrong on that point. Regarding his statement about MJ not being one of the best singers, i guess it's all subjective. But like the other dude said, MJ could sing his ass off. Man just like at how vast and broad his catalogue is. He could sing any genre flawlessly.

He's said similar things about Beyoncé before... She's big but no MJ.. but when you do this mathematical equation it explains why he says what he says..

Beyoncé's fame + her creating a more recluse from public than most celebs + him wanting to 'give it' to her = Delusional view point

He's a big Beyonce fan, that's all the math you need to know here. LOL.

MJ wrote almost all of his biggest hits and he did produce his own songs so he's flat out wrong on that point. Regarding his statement about MJ not being one of the best singers, i guess it's all subjective. But like the other dude said, MJ could sing his ass off. Man just like at how vast and broad his catalogue is. He could sing any genre flawlessly.
I'm perfectly delighted when younger generations discover and celebrate Michael (it explained A LOT when they came to the end and said "we didn't grow up in the Michael Jackson era"-

I can also somewhat accept it when someone doesn't like his singing-although I don't understand anyone who wouldn't.

but when they just state completely untrue things as FACT, like he didn't write a lot of his songs or he didn't produce-ummm-that makes me bristle to no end. If you want to be taken seriously as a critic, at least study your subject matter.

I'm perfectly delighted when younger generations discover and celebrate Michael (it explained A LOT when they came to the end and said "we didn't grow up in the Michael Jackson era"-

I can also somewhat accept it when someone doesn't like his singing-although I don't understand anyone who wouldn't.

but when they just state completely untrue things as FACT, like he didn't write a lot of his songs or he didn't produce-ummm-that makes me bristle to no end. If you want to be taken seriously as a critic, at least study your subject matter.

Exactly! And that "self-proclaimed King of Pop" thing too.

Exactly! And that "self-proclaimed King of Pop" thing too.

Ugh. I don't think Michael even used that title himself (like on banners at concerts etc) until a few years after it caught on in pop culture, and by then the name had stuck. I see people say "self-proclaimed King of Pop" and I honestly cringe because it shows how little that person knows.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Elizabeth Taylor who was the first to call him that at an award ceremony?

What I've come to understand in the last 6 months is that musicians (in particular MJ) have small nucleus of truly dedicated fans surrounded by an array of rather casual listeners. So when someone like Charlamagne Tha God spouts falsities about MJ, it tells me they probably haven't thoroughly done their research on him and are probably just one of the many casual ears.

Last edited:
Ugh. I don't think Michael even used that title himself (like on banners at concerts etc) until a few years after it caught on in pop culture, and by then the name had stuck. I see people say "self-proclaimed King of Pop" and I honestly cringe because it shows how little that person knows.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Elizabeth Taylor who was the first to call him that at an award ceremony?

Lol yeah.. But haters say that Elizabeth was of Michael's "agents". A lot of stupid articles in many stupid magazines say that the term was spread by Michael's "people" - I assume they refer to Elizabeth as if she was under his influence or something.

Psychoniff;4106885 said:
What I've come to understand in the last 6 months is that musicians (in particular MJ) have small nucleus of truly dedicated fans surrounded by an array of rather casual listeners. So when someone like Charlamagne Tha God spouts falsities about MJ, it tells me they probably haven't thoroughly done their research on him and are probably just one of the many casual ears.

It's interesting too the folks who try to marginalize MJ. It's folks like this guy or Rolling Stone editors, etc....who are sitting on their butts and can't sing or dance themselves who choose not to fully appreciate MJ. But the pros like Beyoncé, and all others who do it, too, marvel at MJ's talents because they know what it takes to genuinely do what he was capable of doing.

An Impresario, too, like Barry Gordy, who worked with some of the most exceptional talents that ever stood before a mic said MJ was the greatest entertainer that ever lived. Even if Berry was exaggerating, at least he comes from a place where he could judge talent. With this guy his opinion is purely subjective. Berry's opinion is knowledge based, he knows what it takes to hit or not hit a note.

It was actually funny listening to this guy talk about MJ and what he was and didn't do...when he obviously didn't have a clue.

These two were so funny at the end there! lol. I'm glad I stuck it out till the end. :)

My opinion is honest WTF! Do they not know the cultural impact of MJ. Everyone knows Billie Jean, Beat it, Thriller and Heal the World. But who in the Philippines or Gabon do you hear singing "All the single ladies put a ring on it". Beyonce can sing, but she is really limited to the ghetto hip hop and a few r&b urban and pop crowds. She is pretty okay, but her husband is really a glorified rubber lipped drug dealer.

Comparing her to Michael Jackson is ridiculous though, they are not even in the same solar system and at least half of the songs on the early albums are his own and nearly all on the later albums. Michael was an amazing songwriter. They should be comparing Michael to some of the Tin Pan Alley songwriters like Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, George and Ira Gershwin and modern musical legends like Prince, Stevie Wonder and James Brown rather than urban fluff like Beyonce and Chris Brown (That woman beating piece of ghetto trash).

mjprince1976;4106979 said:
Everyone knows Billie Jean, Beat it, Thriller and Heal the World. But who in the Philippines or Gabon do you hear singing "All the single ladies put a ring on it"

...These guys? :p :rofl:
[video=youtube;7xobP62y7M8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xobP62y7M8[/video]

I'd argue Single Ladies is more well known than Heal the World. From personal experience, I remember soon after MJ's death (so when everyone was listening to MJ again), some people at my school performed Heal The World but some people I talked to after were surprised when I told them it was an MJ song as they didn't recognise it. Never mind the fact that the video for Single Ladies is actually rather iconic in today's pop culture, with the B&W image of three ladies in leotards against a greyscale backdrop being instantly recognisable as Beyoncé and parodied heavily around the world ever since. There's even a whole section on Wikipedia dedicated to it's cultural impact.

^ Not a fair comparation since Single Ladies is a rather current hit (was released in 2008). "Currently popular" is not necessarily "iconic" or "legendary". Let's talk in 20-30 years.

Heal The World is maybe not the best example but Billie Jean, for example, is more listened to on Spotify than Single Ladies and it's some 25 years older. That's what I call a legendary song. But even HTW which is far from Michael's most popular songs, has some 13 million spins and Single Ladies has 68 million (Billie Jean has over 100 million) - I'd say considering the fact SL can be considered a current hit which naturally gets a lot of exposure in current media, that is not a bad look for HTW, that doesn't really get any media exposure these days. Again, let's see where SL will be in 20-30 years.

Last edited:
respect77;4106999 said:
^ Not a fair comparation since Single Ladies is a rather current hit (was released in 2008). "Currently popular" is not necessarily "iconic" or "legendary". Let's talk in 20-30 years.

Heal The World is maybe not the best example but Billie Jean, for example, is more listened to on Spotify than Single Ladies and it's some 25 years older. That's what I call a legendary song. But even HTW which is far from Michael's most popular songs, has some 13 million spins and Single Ladies has 68 million (Billie Jean has over 100 million) - I'd say considering the fact SL can be considered a current hit which naturally gets a lot of exposure in current media, that is not a bad look for HTW, that doesn't really get any media exposure these days. Again, let's see where SL will be in 20-30 years.

Beyoncé is one of the biggest artists of the century so far and the Single Ladies video is one of her most recognisable images; it has been parodied in many cultures all over the world by people young and old. This in itself gives the video the potential of becoming iconic, and obviously I realise time is an important aspect to consider and that we can't truly know if it is iconic for sure for another 15-20 years. I truly consider it one of the most recognisable images in pop music this century and considering it hasn't been in the charts for years, yet continues to be parodied years and years later, I think it has a very good potential for becoming an iconic image for music in that time period.

Do I personally think in the longterm Single Ladies will be remembered more than Heal The World? Yes I do. It was the bigger single of the two and has a far more recognisable image to it's name. But yes, like you said, only time will tell. We will have to wait to see if it could fulfil it's potential and becomes an image recognised even by future generations.

I would not however compare the song to Billie Jean, Thriller or Beat It (which, as you might've noticed, I didn't). Singles Ladies was a hit, but those three? They were megahits and I don't think even Beyoncé herself would compare Single Ladies to them (especially knowing how much she respects and recognises Michael's influence). They're the three most famous songs of one of the most famous musicians in world history, so... yeah.

^Imo the song "Single Ladies" will probably not reach iconic status, but I feel the video definitely will.

First time I was even aware of it was thru a parody on SNL with Justin Timberlake and so I looked up the original and I was amazed by both the cinematography and choreography. No surprise when I found out it was based on a Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon routine. I think that's the kind of video that will stand the test of time.

I don't know if "Heal the World" will-I love it and sometimes it will make me unexpectedly break into tears, but I don't think it will reach the universal recognition of the definitely iconic "We Are the World."

^Imo the song "Single Ladies" will probably not reach iconic status, but I feel the video definitely will.

First time I was even aware of it was thru a parody on SNL with Justin Timberlake and so I looked up the original and I was amazed by both the cinematography and choreography. No surprise when I found out it was based on a Bob Fosse/Gwen Verdon routine. I think that's the kind of video that will stand the test of time.

Yeah! For the record, I should clarify that I'm saying the video has iconic potential, not the song (hence I often said 'the image') :)

The song itself will likely be remembered as a popular favourite of the '00s, but I don't see the song alone becoming iconic.

My opinion is honest WTF! Do they not know the cultural impact of MJ. Everyone knows Billie Jean, Beat it, Thriller and Heal the World. But who in the Philippines or Gabon do you hear singing "All the single ladies put a ring on it". Beyonce can sing, but she is really limited to the ghetto hip hop and a few r&b urban and pop crowds. She is pretty okay, but her husband is really a glorified rubber lipped drug dealer.

Comparing her to Michael Jackson is ridiculous though, they are not even in the same solar system and at least half of the songs on the early albums are his own and nearly all on the later albums. Michael was an amazing songwriter. They should be comparing Michael to some of the Tin Pan Alley songwriters like Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, George and Ira Gershwin and modern musical legends like Prince, Stevie Wonder and James Brown rather than urban fluff like Beyonce and Chris Brown (That woman beating piece of ghetto trash).

Mjprince I'm gonna agree with you for the first time here.

HIStoric;4107001 said:
Beyoncé is one of the biggest artists of the century so far and the Single Ladies video is one of her most recognisable images; it has been parodied in many cultures all over the world by people young and old. This in itself gives the video the potential of becoming iconic, and obviously I realise time is an important aspect to consider and that we can't truly know if it is iconic for sure for another 15-20 years. I truly consider it one of the most recognisable images in pop music this century and considering it hasn't been in the charts for years, yet continues to be parodied years and years later, I think it has a very good potential for becoming an iconic image for music in that time period.

Do I personally think in the longterm Single Ladies will be remembered more than Heal The World? Yes I do. It was the bigger single of the two and has a far more recognisable image to it's name. But yes, like you said, only time will tell. We will have to wait to see if it could fulfil it's potential and becomes an image recognised even by future generations.

I would not however compare the song to Billie Jean, Thriller or Beat It (which, as you might've noticed, I didn't). Singles Ladies was a hit, but those three? They were megahits and I don't think even Beyoncé herself would compare Single Ladies to them (especially knowing how much she respects and recognises Michael's influence). They're the three most famous songs of one of the most famous musicians in world history, so... yeah.

Are you frikkin kidding me? Heal the World is one of the most famous MJ songs where I live. Every other person who's heard of MJ knows about this song - including small kids. It is also one of the few MJ songs which have been covered in my country. Idk what the hell Single Ladies is, but Heal the World was a global hit. Single Ladies (I just checked out its wikipedia) failed to break in the top 10s in the majority of the charts and quite a few top 20s as well. HtW's lowest charting position was 27 in the US. It's one of his greatest international hits. Michael's position on the Billboard chart dropped down after the 80s. But his global hits continued. Do you know that Dangerous and HIStory outsold Bad in two continents? Australia and Asia.

Are you frikkin kidding me? Heal the World is one of the most famous MJ songs where I live. Every other person who's heard of MJ knows about this song - including small kids. It is also one of the few MJ songs which have been covered in my country. Idk what the hell Single Ladies is, but Heal the World was a global hit. Single Ladies (I just checked out its wikipedia) failed to break in the top 10s in the majority of the charts and quite a few top 20s as well. HtW's lowest charting position was 27 in the US. It's one of his greatest international hits. Michael's position on the Billboard chart dropped down after the 80s. But his global hits continued. Do you know that Dangerous and HIStory outsold Bad in two continents? Australia and Asia.
I'm pretty sure Historic is referring to the VIDEO version of the song becoming the global hit, and eventually becoming iconic, not the song itself. I can't say that about one other Beyonce song OR video, though.

What country are you from? It helps sometimes to know where people are from (in your little bio to the left) so we can get an idea of your perspective.

I'm from the US, but from the southern US, so radio play for me was quite different than say, Los Angeles or New York or Chicago-I barely heard "Heal the World" after Clinton's inauguration and the Super Bowl.
I noticed at his memorial when everyone on stage was singing "We are the World" and "Heal the World" that most people were singing with gusto during WATW, but just kinda looked like they were humming along with HTW. (Not the TII people, but the guests and speakers, etc).

^ Well, I could not sing along Single Ladies, if that's the criteria.

No, I couldn't either-and probably couldn't sing all of Heal the World all the way through either. Well, maybe I could. But I do know when I see that choreography I know immediately what it's from-same way that someone puts their hands in a claw position, I know it's Thriller.

Time will tell-I'm not sure if Beyonce will ever be considered an icon eventually-she's been around a LONG time and that is the only song (or actually, dance) I would recognize-but that's me-on the whole I just don't listen to current pop music and haven't for years and years.

But there are actually very FEW people that can TRULY be considered icons, in my opinion. That term gets thrown around a lot lately-like legend. There are actually very few.

Last edited:
I won't waste my time watching that video. Beyoncé has been in the business since the early or mid 90s and has had a successful career, I'll give her that but she's nowhere near Michael's level. Nobody is actually.

Her SL video made the song a hit but Michael has many more iconic and recognizable songs and they're not just because of the shorts themselves. Beyoncé has been releasing worst music with every new album. I seriously don't believe she has what it takes to be legendary and iconic on her own right.

barbee0715;4107038 said:
I'm pretty sure Historic is referring to the VIDEO version of the song becoming the global hit, and eventually becoming iconic, not the song itself.

Yup. Like I made pretty clear a few posts before him/her. :p

MAQ;4107016 said:
Idk what the hell Single Ladies is, but Heal the World was a global hit. Single Ladies (I just checked out its wikipedia) failed to break in the top 10s in the majority of the charts and quite a few top 20s as well. HtW's lowest charting position was 27 in the US. It's one of his greatest international hits.

Single Ladies did better than Heal The World in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain and the US Billboard Top 100 (aka, the most important singles chart in the USA).

Single Ladies also made 34 charts as opposed to Heal The World's 25 charts. Some countries have multiple charts so if you sum it down to countries, Single Ladies charted in 23 countries as opposed to 17 countries for Heal the World.

Heal the World reached Top 10 on 17 charts (14 countries). Single Ladies reached the top 10 on 19 charts (12 countries).

This is not to discount Heal The World's success, which obviously did very well but along with Heal the World, Single Ladies was also a global hit. There will obviously be countries where one song is more known than the other.

respect77;4107044 said:

Well outside of the first few lines and the chorus, I couldn't really sing Heal the World either and I'm a waaaaaaaayyyy bigger fan of MJ than I am of Beyoncé (I couldn't describe myself as more than a casual fan of Beyoncé tbh).

I don't know if people remember the show Glee, but it was fairly huge with the kids, and one of the most famous scenes was of Chris Colfer doing Single Ladies in the full costume, which got people talking about homosexuality in a positive way (a lot of kids used that shows scene to talk to their parents about being gay) and therefore brought attention back to the song itself. It gave the song a lot more notice to the younger kids who had perhaps not heard of it before, whereas Heal the World was so far past their generation that it wouldn't show up on their register.

What's the point in picking on Heal The World? According to the premise Single Ladies is an iconic song/video. You can pick some random MJ song and say SL was bigger than that, but fact is Michael has a lot more iconic/legendary songs than Beyoncé. That's the whole point and that is a fact whether you agree about one specific song like HTW or not. To keep belittling HTW in favour of SL is pretty much besides the point in my opinion.

And like I said it's an utterly unfair comparation too considering SL is a lot more current hit. Of course it has advantages because of that. I think nothing should be declared legendary or iconic until at least 20 years after its release.

respect77;4107105 said:
What's the point in picking on Heal The World? According to the premise Single Ladies is an iconic song/video. You can pick some random MJ song and say SL was bigger than that, but fact is Michael has a lot more iconic/legendary songs than Beyoncé. That's the whole point and that is a fact whether you agree about one specific song like HTW or not. To keep belittling HTW in favour of SL is pretty much besides the point in my opinion.

And like I said it's an utterly unfair comparation too considering SL is a lot more current hit. Of course it has advantages because of that. I think nothing should be declared legendary or iconic until at least 20 years after its release.

Exactly. Why is Single Ladies compared to Heal The World? Single Ladies is a current dancefloor hit whilst Heal The World is not (which also reflects on chart success) so this "Which song is more iconic?" discussion seems random.

Back