Randall Sullivan's book "Untouchable"

Re: Randall Sullivan's new book "Untouchable" Tabloid Mess [Threads merged]

Thanks, respect77, I now vaguely recall that story. But correct me if I'm wrong, I think Schaffel only claimed that he delivered money to someone in Argentina, and he didn't say what it was for (other than it being a private matter). The insinuation about payoff was made by the press. Even if he completely made that payment up, it wasn't necessarily to suggest that Michael was a pedophile - he may have done it just to demand more money. And if the whole story about Michael knowing about his past and pretending like he didn't is true (which seems likely), Schaffel was understandably hurt and fired back. Plus, we don't know what exactly c?me from him and what c?me from his lawyer (which is not always the same thing).

I'm not trying to whitewash Schaffel, I'm just seeing that the mess was pretty complicated with many people involved, and although it did play out badly for Michael in the press, especially considering the criminal trial, it wasn't necessarily Schaffel's intention to destroy him or portray him as a child molester. And I've seen too many times that judging people's supposed intentions by press coverage can be misleading. I guess I'm just not comfortable with seeing people related to Michael in black and white, and for me there is a difference between, say, Diane Dimond who trashes Michael openly and absolutely cannot be trusted, and people like Schaffel, who may have been angry and stoop to low strategies at times, but in general have respect for Michael and did a number of good things for him.

Anyway, thanks for the links, they were helpful.

Last edited:

Petrarose;3736484 Then said:
Marc Schaffel was his source for MJ's inability to deal with normal life:ermm:

I guess I'm not able to deal with normal life either. More than once I have "lost" my hotel room, sometimes when park my car in the shopping mall, quite ofter I cannot remember where did I parked it :smilerolleyes:

I'm not surprised if MJ could find his hotel room, he spent most of his life in hotels, and probably after a while they all look the same for his eyes. Then again, when MJ cannot find his hotel room, it is immediately seen as he cannot deal with normal life (then again, MJ didn't live normal life).

Last edited:

@ morinen

"The insinuation about payoff was made by the press."

No. The insinuation was made by Schaffel and his lawyer.
Schaffel is also the source for Friedman's articles.

Schaffel badly wanted a settlement and since Michael refused he tried to pressure him into it with bad publicity. It's the same tactic that the Neverland 5 tried with Michael back in the 90s...
Why should I give Schaffel a pass on it?

"Even if he completely made that payment up, it wasn't necessarily to suggest that Michael was a pedophile - he may have done it just to demand more money."

Yeah, just like the Chandlers and Arvizos "may have done it just to demand more money". Let's have some understanding for them?

Sorry, but nothing justifies Schaffel making innuendo about Michael's sexuality. Especially considering what a sensitive issue it was for him one year after the trial.

"And if the whole story about Michael knowing about his past and pretending like he didn't is true (which seems likely), Schaffel was understandably hurt and fired back. Plus, we don't know what exactly c?me from him and what c?me from his lawyer (which is not always the same thing)."

Evan Chandler too may have been "understandably" hurt that Michael did not take his phone calls or something.

Sorry but I have no understanding for such tactics. It's not some innocent claim to imply that Michael was paying off parents of young boys left and right. (And it was not true, of course.)

I'm not trying to whitewash Schaffel, I'm just seeing that the mess was pretty complicated with many people involved, and although it did play out badly for Michael in the press, especially considering the criminal trial, it wasn't necessarily Schaffel's intention to destroy him or portray him as a child molester.

You know, Evan Chandler's intention was not necessarily to destroy Michael either. His primary goal was getting money. But because he did not, he destroyed Michael and portrayed him as a child molester. Again, how can one say let's have some understanding for people who claimed or insinuated that Michael molested children? Be it Evan or Marc Schaffel? And I don't care about their "reasons". To me nothing justifies such a lie, sorry!

I guess I'm just not comfortable with seeing people related to Michael in black and white, and for me there is a difference between, say, Diane Dimond who trashes Michael openly and absolutely cannot be trusted, and people like Schaffel, who may have been angry and stoop to low strategies at times, but in general have respect for Michael and did a number of good things for him.

Seeing people black and white? Well, I acknowledge that his documentary on Michael was a good documentary. Perhapsh he had regrets after Michael's death. Perhaps he just wanted to jump on the bandwagon that the world now loved Michael again. That does not change my opinion on him.

It seems to me we have different sensitivities about people who make allegations or insinuations about Michael and his relationship with children. The other day you defended that Peter Pan book which also made pretty bad innuendo about Michael's sexuality/relationship to children in one chapter. You defended that book because you said the rest of the book is good. I said in that thread and I will say it again: no matter how great the rest of the book is, I will NEVER compromise about people/books etc. which make allegations/innuendo about Michael's relationship with children. It's not "black or white" thinking. It's just something I won't let people get away with. The allegations are the worst that happened to Michael. They made his life hell. They stained his legacy. There are still people out there who mock him for something he did not do and people who refuse to listen to his music because they think he was a child molester. How could I then say: "let's turn a blind eye on what this author implied about Michael's sexuality because she said nice things about him as an artist"? Sorry, but I won't. Same with Schaffel. Just because he made a nice docu on MJ after his death (whether out of regret or out of jumping on a bandwagon) I won't consider him suddenly a good and trustworthy guy.

And even besides this thing, I don't think the good he did for Michael outweighs the bad. He ripped him off financially (some of that came out during that 2006 trial) and IMO he, Wiesner and Koinitzer were a bad influence on Michael at the beginning of the 2000s and a lot of his business and PR problems at the time were because he relied on these guys as his advisors.

Last edited:

I too will never understand or have any compassion for those who falsely accused michael - NEVER HAVE AND NEVER WILL!

Beginning of the book, from Amazon sample:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?cb4vgam9va3x8gb

The whole ebook is out on Tuesday.

He wrote Trudy Green told to M Jthat he needs to get mould made of his face for You Rock My World video! Crap!
Wasn't it Frank Cascio in his book who said that Michael was very upset that John McClain suggested such a thing to him?

Last edited:

Schaffel is also the one that released the Anti-semite recordings. And as for the lawsuit between then they found out that Michael own Schaffel money but they also determined that Schaffel also scammed Michael.

Later in court it turned out that the story about $300,000 had no basis in reality. He clearly made this claim, as well as making insinuations about Michael's sexuality to try to extort Michael, put pressure on him and make him settle with him.

For what Michael used the $300,000? I remember that Schaffel did not have the receipts for this transaction, this can mean that Schaffel could have used the $300,000 for his own expenses without Michael ever knowing.

I have the book and reading it. It's such a crappy book filled with mistakes. He calls Aldo Cascio as Eddie all through the book. He says TJ has 3 sons, he doesn't. Has Mark Lester's paternity claims, a lot of talk about plastic surgery, says Michael is a virgin and so on. This is not a good book for anyone.

The whole fuckery in one book SMH...

For what Michael used the $300,000? I remember that Schaffel did not have the receipts for this transaction, this can mean that Schaffel could have used the $300,000 for his own expenses without Michael ever knowing.

Schaffel implied it was to pay off a Brazilian/Argentinian family of a child he'd abused.

The forensic accountant who went through all of Schaffel's transactions found absolutely no evidence this $300,000 ever existed.

They did find out he would transfer half a million to his own account from Michael various times though.

Debbie Rowe also testified about Schaffel in 2005, saying he would brag all the time about the money he'd make off Michael, and that he had plants in the media who were selling negative stories about Michael. I know she seems "friendly" with him now, but she hung him out to dry in 2005 and exposed a lot of his crap.

Last edited:

Sigh:eek:
I hope Zack's book(from Forbes) is properly researches and accurate.

Sorry, but nothing justifies Schaffel making innuendo about Michael's sexuality. Especially considering what a sensitive issue it was for him one year after the trial.

Hey, I'm not saying it justifies what he said, or made it okay, or that we all should love and embrace Schaffel. I personally have no emotions toward him whatsoever - certainly no sympathy or compassion, and if someone want to hate him - it's their right. I also agree that those 3 were poor managers for Michael. What I'm saying is one can see why he said those things back then (same as one can see the reason why Chandler and Arviso turned on Michael, same as I see why that Peter Pan author had her doubts) - again, it doesn't justify them in my eyes, it's simply understanding the cause and the effect. And that gives me context for people's words and allows me - among other things - predict what can and what cannot be believed. While I wouldn't listen to what Arviso have to say today, because I know they still hold animosity towards Michael and are very likely to lie, I would give more attention to Wiesner or Schaffel because while they still tell their side of the story, it's unlikely they would badly twist or completely make up things about Michael now.

We probably read books for different reasons. Besides celebrating Michael - which not all books do - I read also for information, my goal is to understand what happened and understand each side's motives and reactions (however decent or indecent they might have been) because that gives me the full picture and allows me to see why Michael let certain people in or shut them out, and how he approached certain matters etc. Again, it doesn't mean I think everything those people said about Michael was justified. But it also doesn't mean I will automatically write off their every word as a lie.

I'm sorry, I don't want to digress from the topic anymore.

^Trying to imply mj is a pedo and an anti-semite at a time when mj's reputation in the usa was in tatters is a bit of a red flag that a friend/colleague isn't to be trusted on anything he says, even if it's some pathetic little tale about mj getting lost in a hotel coridor. And personally speaking, i do have emotions towards people who deliberately try to destroy another human being's reputation for money - i despise them, and tend to regard with huge suspicion their credibility and character.

MJ was such a vulnerable target for these type of opportunists, absolute nonsense can and was printed about him in his lifetime with complete impunity, that i find i have to be so careful of everything that is written.

MARK WAHLBERG
Michael Jackson, 9/11
Plane Story Is BS
It's an amazing story -- Michael Jackson and Mark Wahlberg fighting over a private plane in the days after 9/11. The only problem ... IT'S JUST NOT TRUE ... this according to sources close to Wahlberg.

A new book, entitled "Untouchable," recounts the tale of MJ and MW both jockeying for a Sony private jet. Sony eventually let MJ have it, claims the book.

But sources close to Wahlberg tell TMZ the whole thing is a work of fiction. We're told Mark had no need for a plane from Sony to fly back to Los Angeles because he had his own.

We knew it was too good to be true.
Btw the airline were grounded for 7 days after 9/11. No matter how many airplanes Sony have they are useless. Just show how much truth in this stupid book. tired of BS

This NY Times writer obviously believes Michael was guilty - and as Ivy says, this stupid Randall gets out of the molestation by just saying Michael was a 50 year old virgin. Of course the NYTimes writer isn't convinced because they clearly think he's guilty and that Randall was using this as an excuse, as well as seeming to suggest he was too fanboyed by Mesereau to really delve into them.

Just the same BS over and over again:

This Just In: He Was the King of Pop
‘Untouchable,’ Michael Jackson’s Life, by Randall Sullivan
By MICHIKO KAKUTANI
Published: November 12, 2012

Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Save
Print
Reprints

He was the consummate performer, the ultimate showman. The creator of the biggest-selling album of all time, who three decades ago crashed through racial barriers on the music charts, ushered in the music video age and remade the pop music landscape. A song-and-dance man who took soul, funk, R&B, rock and disco and turned them into a sound distinctively his own, just as seamlessly as he drew upon the work of James Brown, Jackie Wilson and Fred Astaire to create otherworldly dance moves never before seen on this planet. An entertainer who would imprint the imaginations of several generations of fans and shape the work of performers from Justin Timberlake to Beyoncé to Usher.
Enlarge This Image
Alessandra Montalto/The New York Times

UNTOUCHABLE

The Strange Life and Tragic Death of Michael Jackson

By Randall Sullivan

Illustrated. 776 pages. Grove Press. $35.
Related

Times Topic: Michael Jackson

Enlarge This Image
Russell J. Young

Randall Sullivan

In those days, before the Internet niche-ification of culture and the ridiculously accelerated spin cycle of fame, he was the avatar of the celebrity age, at once a self-conscious and self-destructive pursuant of publicity. In later years his private life — accusations of child molesting, and a swirl of lawsuits, financial woes, drug addiction and erratic behavior — increasingly came to overshadow his music. His drug-induced death at the age of 50 in 2009 would itself turn into a worldwide spectacle of grief, speculation and unseemly jockeying for money and position among family members and lawyers.

Michael Jackson — a k a “the King of Pop,” “the Gloved One,” “the Earl of Whirl” or simply “M J” — has already been the subject of yards upon yards of coverage: magazine and newspaper articles, documentaries, interminable Internet discussions and wall-to-wall television reportage. According to Randall Sullivan’s dreary new Jackson book, “Untouchable,” the evening news programs of ABC, CBS and NBC “devoted more than a third of their broadcast coverage for an entire week to Michael Jackson” after his death.

Mr. Sullivan, who was a contributing editor to Rolling Stone for more than 20 years, does an adequate job of chronicling Jackson’s over-the-top fame. He conveys the tabloid madness that orbited around the pop star for several decades, and the grandiosity of his later self-presentations. (An estimated $30 million was spent on the publicity campaign for Jackson’s album “HIStory,” which included nine 30-odd-foot-high statues, one of which was floated down the Thames in London.) Such accounts, however, will be highly familiar to even the casual follower of Jackson news, and all too often, this volume feels as if it were constructed out of recycled materials.

Much has already been written about Jackson’s fiscal woes (a result of insanely extravagant spending sprees, convoluted financial dealings and declining record sales) and the shameless maneuvering of family members and business associates over his estate (which, despite his huge debts, soared in value as his death led to a surge in sales of Jackson merchandise). Still, Mr. Sullivan devotes a huge and depressing amount of this haphazard and unconvincing book to these subjects — in large part, it seems, because two anonymous sources had a lot to say about them.

At the same time Mr. Sullivan makes no serious effort in these pages to communicate or assess the artistry that first propelled Jackson to the pinnacle of pop music. He provides only the most cursory account of the performer’s musical apprenticeship — as a Motown artist and as a member of the Jackson 5 — and sheds little new light on his discovery of his own voice as an artist, the relationship between his music and his life, or the evolution of individual songs and albums.

As for the infamy that attached to Jackson since he settled a 1993 child-molesting lawsuit for some $20 million, Mr. Sullivan says he told Jackson’s mother that he — Mr. Sullivan — “didn’t believe Michael was a child molester.”

Although Mr. Sullivan acknowledges that the detailed account that the boy in the 1993 case gave to police investigators about how a sexual relationship had developed between himself and Jackson is “undeniably disturbing,” he promotes a theory that the singer may have been “presexual.”

“Of all the answers one might offer to the central question hanging over the memory of Michael Jackson,” Mr. Sullivan asserts, “the one best supported by the evidence was that he had died as a 50-year-old virgin, never having had sexual intercourse with any man, woman or child, in a special state of loneliness that was a large part of what made him unique as an artist and so unhappy as a human being.”

Mr. Sullivan, however, does not present any persuasive evidence regarding this assertion. What’s more, he leans heavily, throughout this book, on his “tremendously helpful” source Tom Mesereau, the lawyer who in 2005 helped win Jackson an acquittal on all charges in another child-molesting case. Remarkably enough, Mr. Sullivan ends this book’s last chapter with the suggestion that you might even grant Jackson “the wish that he isn’t sleeping alone tonight.”

Despite such sympathy for his subject, Mr. Sullivan fails to give us any new insight into Jackson’s enigmatic personality or his growing retreat into a fantasy bubble world of his own making. Instead, Mr. Sullivan just reiterates the sorts of observations made countless times before. He tells us that Jackson had been emotionally scarred as a boy by his brutal father’s verbal and physical assaults; that as a child star he was deprived of an ordinary childhood; that he was appalled by the behavior of groupies who circled his older brothers; and that his early Motown lessons in public relations increasingly morphed, in later years, into the belief that “there was no such thing as bad publicity.”

Cutting back and forth from Jackson’s earlier days to the period following the 2005 child-molesting trial, Mr. Sullivan spends way too much time chronicling the pop star’s depressing later years: his restless travels to Bahrain and Ireland, his growing dependence on drugs, his downward-spiraling finances and his reluctant decision to embark on a 50-show comeback tour.

Jackson was rehearsing for that tour at the time of his death in June 2009, and rehearsal footage was quickly edited together into a documentary (“This Is It”) released several months later.

Mr. Sullivan cites insiders as saying that the concerts would not only help stabilize Jackson’s finances, but also, in the words of Kenny Ortega — who collaborated with Jackson on the show — would give him back “his dignity as an artist.” And Jackson emerges from the rehearsal footage in “This Is It” not as a frail drug addict, but as a perfectionist, very much in control of his vision and focused on everything from the show’s tone to the phrasing and pacing of the music.

The never-to-be-realized concerts were meant to be multimedia extravaganzas — with 3-D videos, Broadway-like numbers with backup dancers, hologramlike effects and an elaborate save-the-Earth sequence — but it is Jackson alone on the stage who commands everyone’s attention. Conserving his energy, he doesn’t do “Billie Jean” full out — the sequence is only a shadow of his dazzling and now legendary performance on the “Motown 25” television special nearly three decades ago — but he reminds the other dancers and crew (and the viewers of the movie) of the magic he could still work as an artist.

Fans of Jackson’s talent (and even those readers only curious about the onstage phenomenon he once was) would be way better off viewing that documentary — or YouTube clips of the Motown show — than reading this bloated and thoroughly dispensable book.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/13/b...-life-by-randall-sullivan.html?pagewanted=all

Ok, so randall believes mj wasn't a p*do, a hetrosexual, a homosexual, a bi-sexual, or asexual. He was 'presexual'?? I just googled, there's no such thing. I wonder if having a copy of 'pimps up, ho'es down' is considered pre-sexual, i really don't know.

This expert diagnosis is based on how a detailed account that jordan gave to police investigators was 'undeniably disturbing'. What detailed account? None has been ever released - jordan never gave a sworn affidavit, there's just a 'declaration' that his lawyer wrote which jordan signed and some leaked psychiatrist report which came out around the time of the bashir interview in 03. The only fact that needs to be known is that the detailed description of mj's penis jordan gave to police was wrong. MJ wasn't circumcised, jordan said he was. End of story, you can't have a 'disturbing relationship' if you don't know that vital bit of info. All that's been said about that 'match' between photos and jordan's description is the spectacularly vague claim that some vitiligo blotch was in the same relative area on the penis - and that is all down to the santa barbara district attorney, sneddon's judgement (the only person to have seen both photos and descr) - the same judgement that believed the claim that the arvizos made about mj kidnapping them in a hot air balloon to take them to brazil.

And as for the claim that mj died a virgin. How many times must a stroppy lmp insist she and mj had sex. If there was ever a need for a celeb sex tape this might be it. smh

Last edited:

Gee Morinen I see from Page 2 that you are being swayed by stories coming out of that book. It may be good to read up a lot of background on Michael's associations with Schaffel, Thome, Barak, Weisner, etc. In fact, for any name mentioned in that book, you should look up the background. Most of the information you need is in this forum in the archives anyway. We have threads on all this. By the way have you read Jones' book?

This is a time when people have to take a stance. It is not time to be swaying in the middle--sort of reminds me of Michael's "friends"--they never took a firm stance and backed him, except Chris and Elizabeth.

That report^^ from the New York Times above, sort of scorns Sullivan, but the reporter is not flattering to Michael either. He also writes like a tabloid reporter--he did not even use the correct amount paid the insurance company, but use the figure most frequently cited by the tabloids/media.

How does Sullivan know Michael died a virgin? How do they know overspending caused him to be in debt? He spent according to the money he made. It is just that business associates stole millions from Michael, swindled him, & greedy people extort money from him, which reduced the amount of money for HIS own use. Looking back I am glad that he did have those acquisition loans, because what he bought are now part of his estate and are making millions.

Last edited:

This book is trash and should be treated as trash.

This book is trash and should be treated as trash.

Exactly. I cannot see why anyone would try to defend anything in this book. This book really shows the "mind" of the author, and that is a very scary thing. I am upset that he dared to mention TMez name in this book as though to give the book credibility.

Today, while I was in someone's home, someone said "oh Michael is on the news. The story will come on at 3pm." I said to myself "oh no," because we all know what that was going to be about. I have not looked, and I refuse to do so. Trash gets a lot of exposure.

ABC NEWS REPORT, RANDALL SULLIVAN the highly acclaimed journalisat, had been getting behind the mask of MICHAEL JACKSON. FAME DROVE MJ TO ADDICTION AND CONFUSED SEXUALITY. ABC NEWS WHAT A F/N JOKE. IN LIFE AND IN DEATH. WE SHOULD ALL GET TOGETHER AND FIGHT BACK.

Last edited:

ABC NEWS REPORT, RANDALL SULLIVAN the highly acclaimed journalisat, had been getting behind the mask of MICHAEL JACKSON. FAME DROVE MJ TO ADDICTION AND CONFUSED SEXUALITY. ABC NEWS WHAT A F/N JOKE. IN LIFE AND IN DEATH. WE SHOULD ALL GET TOGETHER AND FIGHT BACK.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...diction/story?id=17702091&page=2#.UKG4_obfVkg

He says he'll always have doubts about the allegations, that Michael slept next to dozens of kids, that Princess Diana was creeped out by him, and yes, the "presex" virgin garbage again, because apparently that's how Michael stayed creative, by being a virgin. LOL

Everyone needs to leave a 1 star review, fact checking the allegations now too.

^^ This ABC article is disgusting. That's the only word I have to describe that crap.

They print articles like that and then they are going to air Bad 25 on Thanksgiving? I really hope people in general will see how this book is just garbage for once.

Gee Morinen I see from Page 2 that you are being swayed by stories coming out of that book. It may be good to read up a lot of background on Michael's associations with Schaffel, Thome, Barak, Weisner, etc. In fact, for any name mentioned in that book, you should look up the background. Most of the information you need is in this forum in the archives anyway. We have threads on all this. By the way have you read Jones' book?

I did read a lot on many of them, although I do forget details over time - Michael was involved in dozens of lawsuits, esp. in 2000s. I have to admit it's not the most interesting part of his life and bio for me, so over time details like those Shcaffel's comments from 2006 slip. But I also know people - German fans - who met Dieter Wiesner personally, for example, and say that he speaks highly of Michael. That when he was Michael's manager, he did bad things, but he did many good things too. Again, I don't see people as black or white. I noticed many fans on this board tend to do so.
Jones - you mean Bob Jones or Aphrodite Jones? Anyway, I read both. I didn't buy Bob Jones' book though - I accidentally saw it in the library.

I am upset that he dared to mention TMez name in this book as though to give the book credibility.

Not only he mentions it, but he interviewed him extensively for this book. Should I check Mr. Mesereau's background too? Okay, maybe that's a bad joke. Actually under the circumstances I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that Mr. Mesereau granted him interviews. If not for him, Sullivan may have ended with very different conclusions about Michael's innocence which would have made the whole thing even worse.

And please no need to compare me with Michael's "friends" who didn't support him, that's absolutely uncalled for. Nowhere have I showed my lack of support for him. In fact, speaking of this book, my reviews are among the first on amazon and in Barnes & Noble.

By the way, those of you who have B&N accounts, please leave your reviews there as well and report 5-star reviews as irrelevant: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/untouchable-randall-sullivan/1102218787?ean=9780802119629

The sad thing is we are all talking about Sullivan and nobody is talking about Lisa D Campbell's new book.

http://www.amazon.com/Michael-Jack...id=1352773313&sr=1-3&keywords=Lisa+d+Campbell

It's her third book about MJ. The King of Pop darkest hour was a good book about the Chandler allegations.

Wow, I didn't even know about it. She didn't promote it at all.
Have you read it? I sounds like a full bio. Is it well-written? I read her "KOP's darkest hour", it was very factual, but, to be honest, not very engaging for a casual reader.

So now we have ABC, the NY Times all writing/talking about this and using the most sensationalized words to gain the viewers attention. The sad thing is all the claims Sullivan makes about Michael, the allegations, his sexuality, and about him sleeping with dozen of boys will be believed. I really cannot believe the type of society we live in when someone could write such horrific lies without any facts, and get away with it?

It is at such times, I wish I was Michael's little child so I could get my guardian to find a good lawyer & psychologist and claim a whole list of stress and psychological & mental anguish I developed from reading the book. I would begin therapy and also say the kids at school were bullying me due to the books details. I would then have my lawyer sue for all the emotional harm caused by the rantings in the book.

If anyone's interested, there was a segment about this book tonight on ABC's Niteline. I didn't watch it so I can't provide a summary.

Has the Jackson family released a statement about this book since it came out? If there was ever a time that they needed to say something, now is the time. This book is being talked about everywhere.

Back