Rank MJ's Albums in Preferential Order [MERGED]

Invincible is too overhated. It has its flaws, sure, but the first 7 songs are simply great and that's why the album is at the top of my list.

About BOTDF, I see the majority adding it to their list. Does this means you actually listen to those songs?
I have never seen it as a studio album as 2/3 of the album are old songs in a new jacket, a jacket that Michael himself didn’t make.
I haven’t listened to any of those songs since probably 1998.
If a remix album with old songs is seen as an album that can be listed then why doesn’t anyone list number ones or the essential?

Also if Michael and Xscape are listed, then why is there no place for farewell my summer love and looking back to yesterday?
Too much effort lol, it's already hard enough to think which one of his few solo albums is the best, imagine doing that for every single album of his career.

That’s interesting, what do you think of the jackson 5 albums?
Let's see:

THIRD ALBUM / MAYBE TOMORROW (tie)
SKYWRITER
DIANA ROSS PRESENTS THE JACKSON 5
LOOKING THROUGH THE WINDOWS
SOULSATION
JOYFUL JUKEBOX MUSIC
COME AND GET IT
DANCING MACHINE
GET IT TOGETHER
I WANT YOU BACK: UNRELEASED MASTERS
ABC
MOVING VIOLATION
BOOGIE

1 Thriller
2 Off The Wall
3 Got To Be There
4 Dangerous
5 Forever Michael
6 Bad
7 Farewell My Summer Love
8 Music And Me
9 Ben
10 HIStory
11 Looking Back To Yesterday
12 Michael
13 Invincible
14 Xscape
15 Blood On The Dancefloor

Last edited:
thriller 💜
the essential Michael Jackson (first half, from ‘I want you back- ‘thriller’. radio edited singles in chronological order. the highlights of his career.)
the ultimate collection (disc 2, from ‘wanna be startin somethin’ - ‘we are here to change the world’)
the very best of Michael Jackson & the Jackson 5
the very best of the Jacksons
got to be there
going places

I’m clearly more of a singles person, but I enjoy participating in these kinds of threads 🙂

I go in phases, often when I take a long break from an album and relisten to it I remember the appreciation I had for things that I may not think about daily. There's usually an album or two that I'm vibing with in that moment than I switch off.

I go in phases, often when I take a long break from an album and relisten to it I remember the appreciation I had
This is how it is for me. It's not planned or deliberate. I think I have an inbuilt 'shuffle' in my brain - maybe we all do, lol. But my engagement with a song or album is free-flowing and organic, if that makes sense. Take Thriller for example. Beat It and WBSS are usually on my radar but that's it. I had a brief dalliance with LIML over the summer but, apart from that, I haven't listened to the album for years.

There's usually an album or two that I'm vibing with in that moment than I switch off.
Exactly so.

1. Bad
2. Thriller
3. Off the wall
4. Dangerous
5. History + BOTDF
6. Invincible
7. Xscape
8. Destiny
9. Live
10. Victory
11. Triumph
12. Moving violation
13. Dancing machine
14. Get it together
15. 2300 Jackson street
16. The Michael Jackson Mix
17. Farwell my summer love
18. 18 Greatest Hits

1-. Dangerous
2-. Invincible
3-. Bad
4-. HIStory
5-. Got To Be There
6-. Thriller
7-. Blood On The Dance Floor
8-. Ben
9-. Forever, Michael
10-. Music And Me

Bad
History
Dangerous
Thriller
Off the wall
Blood on the dance floor
Invincible

1. BAD
2. Dangerous
3. HIStory (disc 2)
4. Thriller
5. Invincible
6. Off The Wall
7. Michael (the new 7 song version)
8. Xscape
9. BOTDF

This is just my list as of today... - If my mood changes my list will no doubt change too. It can change daily.

If I rank the albums based on how much I listen to them (which might be the same thing as the thread title but feels different to me) it would be:

Invincible
BOTDF (not the remixes)
Essential - disc 1
HIStory - disc 2
Triumph
Dangerous
Michael / Xscape
OTW / Thriller / Bad - I usually go to Number Ones instead.

I actually never listen to the greatest hits albums. I prefer to listen to full albums in the order MJ decided. - It gives me a more full experience in some way.

At the moment I hear BAD Live album all the time. The energy is insane, the vocals divine. I really love BAD live - it was one of the best things from BAD25. - The Jacksons LIVE! album is also great.

I actually never listen to the greatest hits albums. I prefer to listen to full albums in the order MJ decided. - It gives me a more full experience in some way.
I totally get this but it's just not how I listen to music. Never have. Once I know an album, I never listen to the whole thing or go through it in order. I always cherry pick what I'm going to listen to. Same with watching footage of a gig. I'll never watch the whole thing. Just a couple of songs and I'm done.

The Jacksons LIVE! album is also great.
It really is. 🥰

I totally get this but it's just not how I listen to music. Never have. Once I know an album, I never listen to the whole thing or go through it in order. I always cherry pick what I'm going to listen to. Same with watching footage of a gig. I'll never watch the whole thing. Just a couple of songs and I'm done.
There are not a lot of albums that are great from start to finish. But those that exist I always want to listen to from start to end.
Thriller is one example, I cannot skip anything, it is perfect in length and consistent in production and literally all 9 tracks are amazing. The production is beyond good, it still feels like a modern record. Every instrument is mixed clearly, you hear every sound and every breath. I recently named it the greatest album ever made in my head 🤣
For that reason I am now starting to listen to other Quincy Jones produced albums from 1976 to 1984 to find out if they have the same timeless sound as thriller.

Watching a concert in full is something I almost never do either, a concert has many lulls.

For that reason I am now starting to listen to other Quincy Jones produced albums from 1976 to 1984 to find out if they have the same timeless sound as thriller.
Ooh, interesting idea. You'll have to report back on your findings. He started so young (as a musician, I mean) and worked with so many great people. Really cool idea.

His work with Frank Sinatra is amazing too. He may turned bitter and weird in his old days, but no one can deny his great contribution to music since the 50's

I think he may be mad about the fact that he has worked with many 100's of artists, he has made so much spectaculat music and won a ton of awards, but still his work with MJ - just 3 albums out of the 100's if not 1000's Quincy has been involved in - gets high-lighted. I think he is a bit jealous of MJ somehow...

His work with Frank Sinatra is amazing too. He may turned bitter and weird in his old days, but no one can deny his great contribution to music since the 50's

I think he may be mad about the fact that he has worked with many 100's of artists, he has made so much spectaculat music and won a ton of awards, but still his work with MJ - just 3 albums out of the 100's if not 1000's Quincy has been involved in - gets high-lighted. I think he is a bit jealous of MJ somehow...
I sort of get it. When you've worked with Billie Holliday, Count Basie and Frank Sinatra you might get a little bit peevish when people only ever want to talk about MJ or Thriller. But the music world changed in Quincy's lifetime and pop music pushed jazz and MOR and other types of music to one side. If you're the producer of the biggest selling pop album ever I guess you might as well try to accept the way the conversation goes.

Quincy's CV is beyond awesome. It really is. But Thriller is ... well, it's Thriller.

1. HIStory
2. Invincible
3. Dangerous
4. Thriller
5. Bad
6. Blood on the Dance Floor
7. Off the Wall

It’s hard cause I love them all! :)

But HIStory is a very special album, it resonates with me and the world’s current situation very well.

Off the Wall is in no way bad, but I feel you have to be in a certain mood for it. I prefer MJ’s later, more introspective work.

I can understand even if I don't agree. 😅 Off The Wall is an album that personally by its sweet appearance did me a lot of good when I was not well. The songs are of quality and dug.

History is an album that I find quite rough and is too pessimistic. I think that humanitarian songs must be committed like We Are The World which is optimistic! Even Heal The World does not have as much pity on these situations.

MJ solo (Epic records)

1. Bad👑
2. Thriller
3. Off The Wall
4. Dangerous
5. History
6. Blood On The Dance Floor (new songs only)
7. Invincible

The Jacksons (Epic Records)

1. Triumph
2. Destiny
3. Victory
4. Going Places
5. The Jacksons
6. 2300 Jackson Street

Rank MJ's Albums in Preferential Order (Not including posthumous)
1. Bad 👑
2. Thriller
3. Off The Wall
4. Dangerous
5. Invincible
6. History
7. Blood On The Dance Floor

This ordering is approximate. Albums within a group get the same number of stars.

Bad
Dangerous
HIStory

Third Album

Got to be There
Music and Me
Thriller
Destiny
Triumph

Invincible

Forever, Michael
Off the Wall