Rare spontaneous MJ moments on stage?

During Beat it MJ addresses the crowd after breaking down the song, I can’t quite understand what’s going on but it surprised me. Some context? Happens at 1hour 12 minutes ish, at the end of beat it to be more precise.
god, I loved this. Haven't watched the whole thing, just the bit you directed us to, f&m. It was fabulous. The energy. 😲

The 1m 12s bit, looks like he's encouraging a guy in the audience to let loose and dance. Think that's what he's saying. I didn't even care about the crappy quality of the picture.

Loved it. ❤️

Another famous one is in Royal Concert during IJCSLU

some (possible) context:
Mm, it's a bit confusing. If he's calling out security for not letting people dance why does the guy look so sheepish and slightly uncomfortable? He doesn't look one little bit like a security guy plus he wouldn't be in the middle of the audience like that. It does sound, from what Michael is saying, as if he's giving the guy a bit of stick for trying to stop people dancing. But it doesn't look like that.

It's an interesting little moment, for sure. I haven't watched much live footage but in his solo shows he doesn't engage with the audience all that much, imo. So whatever is going on here, I really like it.

i can’t provide any more context than what’s already been posted above. I will say that he called out security earlier in the same show during ‘off the wall’. he also did it on one of the dallas dates at the start of ‘human nature’. he had a wild energy that I liked.

the new york show is missing the finale unfortunately. I still think it’s the best I’ve seen to date, despite the quality available. what’s your verdict on the show @filmandmusic ? have you watched it all yet?

i can’t provide any more context than what’s already been posted above. I will say that he called out security earlier in the same show during ‘off the wall’. he also did it on one of the dallas dates at the start of ‘human nature’. he had a wild energy that I liked.

the new york show is missing the finale unfortunately. I still think it’s the best I’ve seen to date, despite the quality available. what’s your verdict on the show @filmandmusic ? have you watched it all yet?
No not all yet but from what I heard he sounded extraordinary. I was surprised at the crowd reaction whenever he did some of his famous moves. The beat it choreo got a big response, the toe stand and of course the moonwalk.
I think he has this same energy in most of his concerts with the Jacksons though, don’t you think? He was in his prime during these years after all.

At 19.19 the guy filming the concert or at least one of his friends comments how well and clear MJ sings human nature, loved that comment. I also like the crowd’s reaction when he interrupts the Ben intro for something different. The audience did not want the old songs!

Goosebumps for she’s out of my life. I just love big crowd reactions.

Also not specific for this show but I love how he doesn’t stretch moments in his earlier tours like he does on his later tours. For example she’s out of my life has much smaller pauses at the end here than on the Dangerous tour and that is a good thing, less is more.

Last edited:
I always liked this bit from HIStory Tour Milan (starts at 2:38):

What I'd give for a pro shot of this show...

Does this count as spontaneous? He has to improvise a bit when the YANA girl faints lol. Would love a pro shot version of this too.

i can’t provide any more context than what’s already been posted above. I will say that he called out security earlier in the same show during ‘off the wall’.
I need to go and look for that. :)

he also did it on one of the dallas dates at the start of ‘human nature’. he had a wild energy that I liked.
He did and that is what's missing from DWT and HWT, imo. Not that I've watched loads from those shows but the bits I have seen don't have the energy and 'feel' of his earlier live work.

the new york show is missing the finale unfortunately. I still think it’s the best I’ve seen to date, despite the quality available. [...]
I need to revisit this asap.

Bad tour Leeds, the crowd singing happy birthday to MJ during SOOML MJ goes quiet at the end of the song and then responds to the crowd with: Thank you I was hoping you had forgotten (the crowd goes wild) and then says: Thank you that is very very kind of you.

Whenever I listen to that concert my heart goes🥰 but then my heart sinks because I get so sad thinking that I may never be able to see that moment and concert in full😢.

Bad tour Leeds, the crowd singing happy birthday to MJ during SOOML MJ goes quiet at the end of the song and then responds to the crowd with: Thank you I was hoping you had forgotten (the crowd goes wild) and then says: Thank you that is very very kind of you.

Whenever I listen to that concert my heart goes🥰 but then my heart sinks because I get so sad thinking that I may never be able to see that moment and concert in full😢.
That Leeds birthday show is a gem to listen to. Definitely one of the best crowds from any concert of his. Everyone there just sounds so happy and they're singing along with every song... they must know how to party lol.

That Leeds birthday show is a gem to listen to. Definitely one of the best crowds from any concert of his. Everyone there just sounds so happy and they're singing along with every song... they must know how to party lol.
Happy to hear that i'm not alone in liking it 🥰. Whats your fav moment of the concert besides the SOOML moment?

No not all yet but from what I heard he sounded extraordinary. I was surprised at the crowd reaction whenever he did some of his famous moves. The beat it choreo got a big response, the toe stand and of course the moonwalk.
I think he has this same energy in most of his concerts with the Jacksons though, don’t you think? He was in his prime during these years after all.

At 19.19 the guy filming the concert or at least one of his friends comments how well and clear MJ sings human nature, loved that comment. I also like the crowd’s reaction when he interrupts the Ben intro for something different. The audience did not want the old songs!

Goosebumps for she’s out of my life. I just love big crowd reactions.

Also not specific for this show but I love how he doesn’t stretch moments in his earlier tours like he does on his later tours. For example she’s out of my life has much smaller pauses at the end here than on the Dangerous tour and that is a good thing, less is more.
it’s as if we’re getting live feedback. I think that the person filming was able to capture michael’s dancing better than what was projected on the jumbotron screens. especially during ‘billie jean’. michael should have been filmed going across the stage horizontally when he moonwalked 🤦‍♀️another reason why the motown 25 performance will always be my favourite.

generally speaking, michael’s shows were supposed to be a once in a lifetime experience. a spectacle. magic 🤩you saw him when he came to your city, if you were fortunate enough. there were no preconceived notions as you eagerly anticipated his arrival..

if he stuck to a script, it didn’t matter because the audience were seeing it for the first (and possibly only) time. they weren’t able to binge his shows online in the manner that we do today. the only ‘spoilers’ were news reports or printed reviews. it was a completely different atmosphere being there in person versus watching it on a screen. I would honestly prefer a well crafted show that flowed well from start to finish, than random awkward moments that wasted time. michael knew what he was doing. I personally wouldn’t change anything.

I agree the camera angles for the Victory tour are unfortunate. I don’t understand why Michael agreed with them considering it is all about the illusion. It’s like a magician. His moves are meant to be seen from the front.

Happy to hear that i'm not alone in liking it 🥰. Whats your fav moment of the concert besides the SOOML moment?
Can't really recall a specific moment outside of that one, but just how the crowd is so joyfully singing along with everything lol. I wonder if they hit up a pub before the show or something. XD

That time IJCSLY was performed with a different ending, during the August 26, 1988 Wembley show. That seemed quite spontaneous, the way Michael stopped the song and even delivered a small speech in honour of Elizabeth Taylor.

My mum was there, I remember she said there was a great moment before HH or APOM, just before the lights came back up, Mike pointed toward a girl in the front of the crowd with a "Happy Birthday Michael" sign and he waved at her and clutched his chest in appreciation. The girl holding it went nuts

I love Another Part Of Me in Houston, the rough lower register "shamone babe, shamone now" adlibs sound excellent.

My friend @MJbr2 is the best person to ask, their concert knowledge is amazing

My mum was there, I remember she said there was a great moment before HH or APOM, just before the lights came back up, Mike pointed toward a girl in the front of the crowd with a "Happy Birthday Michael" sign and he waved at her and clutched his chest in appreciation. The girl holding it went nuts

I love Another Part Of Me in Houston, the rough lower register "shamone babe, shamone now" adlibs sound excellent.

My friend @MJbr2 is the best person to ask, their concert knowledge is amazing
Thank you so much! Your mom is so lucky! Did she take any photos? Great moment indeed, does she remember anything about the SOOML moment when the crowd sang happy birthday to MJ?

Thank you so much! Your mom is so lucky! Did she take any photos? Great moment indeed, does she remember anything about the SOOML moment when the crowd sang happy birthday to MJ?
Unfortunately not, she died when I was young.

All I have of it is her memories of her how amazing it was. I remember she said she got her fingertips on his hat when he threw it into the crowd at the end of Billie Jean, a lady just behind my mum caught it 😅

Back