Rate MJ’s rock songs that appeared on an album.

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
Let me see how you rate MJ’s rock songs

These are my ratings and included The Jackson’s and posthumous albums.

1. Beat It (Thriller)
2. Come Together (HIStory)
3. Give In To Me (Dangerous)
4. Dirty Diana (Bad)
5. State Of Shock (Victory)
6. Another Day (Michael)
7. Privacy ( Invincible)

Let me see how you rate MJ’s rock songs

These are my ratings and included The Jackson’s and posthumous albums.

1. Beat It (Thriller)
4. Dirty Diana (Bad)
5. State Of Shock (Victory)
6. Another Day (Michael)
7. Privacy ( Invincible)
No offense but I wouldn’t consider privacy a rock song. Not sure what category to put that one in, Slow and boring and just blah. Morphine would be closer to a rock a song but maybe not. Should’ve left Privacy in the vault.

No offense but I wouldn’t consider privacy a rock song. Not sure what category to put that one in, Slow and boring and just blah. Morphine would be closer to a rock a song but maybe not. Should’ve left Privacy in the vault.
It's really not that bad. After just listening to it again recently. It's easy to pick on but it's not unenjoyable.

1. Give In To Me (Dangerous) 5/5
2. Dirty Diana (Bad) 5/5
3. Beat It (Thriller) 5/5
4. Come Together (HIStory) 5/5
5. State Of Shock (Victory) 4/5
6. D.S (HIStory) 3/5
6. Another Day (Michael) 2/5
7. Privacy ( Invincible) 1/5

D.S?

Great thread my friend

1. Dirty Diana, one of my favourite ever songs. The vocals, the lyrics and atmosphere is breathtaking.

2. Give In To Me, those vocals are wonderful, the demo is amazing too. Love the darker lyrics in this.

3. Beat It, I don't listen to it often but whenever I do I still love it

4. Come Together, the swagger in those vocals is unmatched. Better than the original

5. State Of Shock, an underrated Jacksons song. I don't think it was strong enough for Mike's albums but still a great song

6. Another Day, great song. I've always like it ever since I heard the leak. I even like the 2010 version.

7. Privacy, not one of my favourites. It's a bit too slow and Mike's vocals sound a bit too forced. Has some of the best lyrics on the album though

It would have been so cool if he had included 'Give In To Me' for the Dangerous Tour, in a similar way as 'Dirty Diana' for the Bad Tour!

He could even do a little nod in the lyrics: 'Love is a feeling, give it when I want it, cause I'm on fire, Dirty Diana!'

It would have been so cool if he had included 'Give In To Me' for the Dangerous Tour, in a similar way as 'Dirty Diana' for the Bad Tour!

He could even do a little nod in the lyrics: 'Love is a feeling, give it when I want it, cause I'm on fire, Dirty Diana!'
I wish Give in to Me had been released as a single in the US.

I wish Give in to Me had been released as a single in the US.
It wasn't released in the US? Even with the video being shown in the Oprah interview? I believe it was a hit in my country.
Definitely one of my favourite MJ songs and just can't understand he never performed it live..

It wasn't released in the US? Even with the video being shown in the Oprah interview? I believe it was a hit in my country.
Definitely one of my favourite MJ songs and just can't understand he never performed it live..
Yeah, they pulled it at the last second to swap out with Who Is It. Leading to a basic montage video being rushed, before the eventual masterpiece, but by then, that song had no chance of being a smash hit, which is a shame. Both songs could've easily topped the charts but basically neither did, state side.

Yes it did quite well at the time. I remember the day the video premiered, I was rushing home hoping I would not miss it, you know no youtube or internet and all lol
I was quite disappointed it was such a regular uninspiring performance video. The song got really good reviews though, it also fitted the early 90s perfectly with similar hard rock ballads all receiving tons of airplay.
It was a massive hit in Australia, New Zealand and the UK.
If it had been released in the USA with proper attention it would have reached top 10 in the big 5 countries namely Australia, UK, USA, Germany and France. These are the countries where music sales were huge before the digital age. Japan is part of it too but it is almost impossible for western artists to score huge hits there, even for Michael Jackson it was almost impossible.

1. Dirty Diana
2. Beat It
3. Give In to Me
4. Come Together
5. Morphine
6. D.S.
7. State of Shock
8. Another Day
9. Privacy

…I think. 🤔 The dagsform plays a part in this, for sure.

Incredibly hard but here goes:

1. Dirty Diana (One of my faves period)
2. Give In to Me (Stellar)
3. Beat It (Incredible and the blueprint)

4. Morphine
5. State of Shock
6. Come Together
7. Privacy
8. Another Day

1. Morphine
2. Beat It
3. Dirty Diana
4. Give In To Me

5. Privacy
6. State of Shock
7. Come Together
8. Another Day

I love the first four. I am indifferent towards Privacy and absolutely don't like the last three.

Since everybody now includes Morphine, I have to update

1. Give In To Me (Dangerous) 5/5
2. Dirty Diana (Bad) 5/5
3. Beat It (Thriller) 5/5
4. Morphine (BOTDF) 5/5
5. Come Together (HIStory) 5/5
6. State Of Shock (Victory) 4/5
7. D.S (HIStory) 3/5
8. Another Day (Michael) 2/5
9. Privacy ( Invincible) 1/5

1. “Beat It”
  2. “Dirty Diana”
  3. “Come Together”
  4. “Morphine”
  5. “D.S.”
  6. “Give In to Me”
  7. “Another Day”
  8. “Privacy”
  9. “State of Shock”
I think 1-6 are excellent, 7 is good (in its original demo form), 8 is okay, and 9 is mediocre.

1. “Beat It”
  2. “Dirty Diana”
  3. “Come Together”
  4. “Morphine”
  5. “D.S.”
  6. “Give In to Me”
  7. “Another Day”
  8. “Privacy”
  9. “State of Shock”
I think 1-6 are excellent, 7 is good (in its original demo form), 8 is okay, and 9 is mediocre.
9 is also better in it's demo form.

I knew I forgot some songs! this is my revised list with morphine included

1. Beat It (Thriller)
4. Morphine (BOTDF)
5. Dirty Diana (Bad)
6. State Of Shock (Victory)
7. Another Day (Michael)
8. D.S (HIStory)
9. Privacy ( Invincible)

This is a hot take but imo Come Together should have been included on the Bad album.

Last edited:
Why wouldn’t you consider Privacy as a rock song? Do you consider Beat It as a rock song?

Privacy sounds like something Alice In Chains would have done.

Last edited:
  1. “Beat It”
  2. “Dirty Diana”
  3. “Come Together”
  4. “Morphine”
  5. “D.S.”
  6. “Give In to Me”
  7. “Another Day”
  8. “Privacy”
  9. “State of Shock”
It’s something about state of shock. That’s one song I have never been able to get into. Now that I think about it, I’m not too fond of MJ’s self penned songs for the victory album.

Why wouldn’t you consider Privacy as a rock song? Do you consider Beat It as a rock song?

'Privacy' belongs to the hip hop genre, rather than to the rock genre.

Also, one can say that it sounds similar to Aaliyah's 'I Can Be' song released in 2001 (both of them are hip hop songs with guitar elements).

'Privacy' belongs to the hip hop genre, rather than to the rock genre.

Also, one can say that it sounds similar to Aaliyah's 'I Can Be' song released in 2001 (both of them are hip hop songs with guitar elements).
I agree. Privacy just doesn’t fit in the rock genre. It will be like saying Hollywood tonight is a rock song, well the version with guitar riffs. She was loving me Tyrells mix would be closer to a rock song imo.

I really like the riff of state of shock and I think Mick brings the song to life but also Michael brings out a nasty sort of vocal for the occasion. It is not the strongest song as it becomes kind of aimless after 2 minutes but I’m not surprised it was a big hit because it is just 2 wildly different vocalists going against each other, kind of like a battle. It’s a good song for shows like “the voice”
Love Mick’s final lines

Last edited:
I agree. Privacy just doesn’t fit in the rock genre. It will be like saying Hollywood tonight is a rock song, well the version with guitar riffs. She was loving me Tyrells mix would be closer to a rock song imo.
I don’t agree with this at all. There are different kind of rock styles and genres and of course many of those styles are fused together with other styles. Funny you mention She was loving you. In terms of production what separates She was loving you from Privacy that makes you divide them into different genre categories?

I would consider beat it to be a pop rock song. Privacy may have elements of hip hop but that doesnt disqualify it from being a rock song. There are many examples of this such as Man In The Box by Alice Chains which has a very hip hop groove orientated approach. For sure you can put a sub genre label on it such as industrial rock, soft rock, pop rock, funk rock, classic rock etc but it’s still imo a rock song.

Last edited:
Hm, interesting thought.

I don’t agree with this at all. There are different kind of rock styles and genres and of course many of those styles are fused together with other styles. Funny you mention She was loving you. In terms of production what separates She was loving you from Privacy?

I would consider beat it to be a pop rock song. Privacy may have elements of hip hop but that doesnt disqualify it from being a rock song. There are many examples of this such as Man In The Box by Alice Chains which has a very hip hop groove orientated approach.
Totally agree. Solid rock song but there is SO much more going on there.

For sure you can put a sub genre label on it such as industrial rock, soft rock, pop rock, funk rock, classic rock etc but it’s still imo a rock song.
Exactly so.

It’s something about state of shock. That’s one song I have never been able to get into. Now that I think about it, I’m not too fond of MJ’s self penned songs for the victory album.
I’ve never really thought about that either, but I agree. It’s a huge downgrade from Destiny and Triumph, where it felt like MJ was firing on all cylinders and putting his best material forward.

Back