Review this music and me 1975 live performance!

filmandmusic

Proud Member
Firstly I love how he talks with the crowd before the song starts, it is something he often didn't do or didn't do enough. His voice is gentle and calm as always. I think he could have been famous for recording audio cassettes for people who were under the strain of hard stress. He has such a calming voice.
The song itself is autobiographical even if he didn't write it himself. I think it should be a centerpiece for the upcoming biopic.
The performance itself is simply splendid, I like how the guitar intro is stretched in comparison to the single version. The vocals are clear, well phrased and in top form. I like how in ballads he still moves around a lot, making gestures, drawing the audience towards him. Absolute highlight is the spin he does at 2.30 perfectly timed to the music ending with his right hand in the air and his head tilted backwards (would make an awesome poster if paused at the right moment).
This is one of my favorite performances no doubt.

I want more of the J5 era, a lot more!

Last edited:
This is one of Michael’s best performances and also one of his most underrated. I watch this performance quite frequently.

I can't really "review it", but as I remember it I like it and I would like a better quality release of this whole show.

i remember this being a pleasant surprise when i found it online many years ago. very rare indeed. in fact, aside from 'happy' and that one performance of 'with a child's heart' from soul train, there aren't that many numbers from the 'music & me' album currently available. i personally prefer the latter, as it corresponds with that era. i think that album might have taken a back seat once the single ' dancing machine' was released that same year.

michael was experiencing a vocal change around '73/'74, and certain songs, though sentimental, were no longer a perfect fit. 'ben' is an example of that. i actually prefer 'one day in your life' from that same mexico concert. i wished he performed that more as an adult. it was his first uk number one single, and i think he could have pulled it off vocally.

i must say i really enjoy his move set during this time; loose and free. this was demonstrated even more when he performed 'we're almost there' on the dinah shore' show.

@83magic he performed one day in your life in 1977 in Venezuela, he was about 20 then so that is adult. That performance was even better than the 1975 one in Mexico. It is on youtube but the sound is terrible. I’d love to see this concert in full, he had a fantastic band with him with strings and horns etc, sounds fabulous.

This set list of a concert they did in 1978 is perhaps my most wanted. This is adult Michael in the year he recorded classics like blame it on the boogie and shake your body. To hear him performing songs like get it together, forever came today, never can say goodbye, got to be there, sugar daddy, i wanna be where you are, find me a girl with the voice of this era must be really great. I have seen some sources that claim many of those songs were even performed as late as 1979 during the Destiny tour.
This is a fantastic set list!

1. Intro
2.Think Happy
3.Get it Together
4.Forever Came Today
5.I Am Love
6.Keep on Dancing
7.Ben
8.Show You The Way To Go
9.Goin' Places
10.Never Can Say Goodbye
11.Got to be There
12.Sugar Daddy
13.I Wanna Be Where You Are
14.I'll Be There
15.Medley: I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save
16.Find Me A Girl
17.Dancing Machine
18.Enjoy Yourself

This set list of a concert they did in 1978 is perhaps my most wanted. This is adult Michael in the year he recorded classics like blame it on the boogie and shake your body. To hear him performing songs like get it together, forever came today, never can say goodbye, got to be there, sugar daddy, i wanna be where you are, find me a girl with the voice of this era must be really great. I have seen some sources that claim many of those songs were even performed as late as 1979 during the Destiny tour.
This is a fantastic set list!

1. Intro
2.Think Happy
3.Get it Together
4.Forever Came Today
5.I Am Love
6.Keep on Dancing
7.Ben
8.Show You The Way To Go
9.Goin' Places
10.Never Can Say Goodbye
11.Got to be There
12.Sugar Daddy
13.I Wanna Be Where You Are
14.I'll Be There
15.Medley: I Want You Back, ABC, The Love You Save
16.Find Me A Girl
17.Dancing Machine
18.Enjoy Yourself
yes, 'i wanna be where you are' and 'get it together' were performed in 1979. i believe it's from the same footage used in the sylvia chase interview. aside from 'victory' new york, that's the show i'm most looking forward to seeing. i believe it was the last time we heard 'blame it on the boogie' and 'don't stop til you get enough' in the same show. he just began performing the 'off the wall' songs, and stopped appearing on shows like 'soul train' and 'american bandstand'. if i'm not mistaken, the final leg of the 'destiny' tour was also referred to as the 'off the wall' tour. 'show you the way to go' and 'blame it on the boogie' are my favourite jacksons songs. the former was the first song i had the courage to listen to months after michael's passing. the message was even more poignant.. it was also their first, and only uk number one. i think 'triumph' had the best setlist, but the final leg of 'destiny' had better performances and costumes.

I wish Michael performed Music & Me as an adult. Except for I Want You Back, The Love You Save & I'll be There, he completely abounded the rest of his childhood discography, which is a shame. Imagine Michael singing songs like Music & Me, Got To Be There, Rocking Robin, Ben, Never Can Say Goodbye during the Bad and Dangerous eras.

The Motown medley is the only performance I literally can’t stand watching. He has done this virtually the same since 1970 lol. Granted in the early years he did the songs in full which I like better but still…

f&m, it doesn't fit your thread title (but sort of does) but I just feel like posting this here:

"But the titular album closer “Music and Me” is the gem of the album and prophetically details Jackson’s lifelong relationship with the art form. It’s a beautiful, haunting ballad with Jackson softly singing, “We’ve been together for such a long time / Music and Me.” There’s a joy and optimism present in Jackson’s voice that is lacking in the majority of the album and you get a sense that for once he really connects with what he is singing. Listen to the song now—in the shadow of Jackson’s passing in 2009—and “Music and Me” takes on a gravitas all its own and tugs at the heart strings."
(Andy Healy 2018)

So grateful that we have the 1975 Live in Mexico version but SO frustrated that it seems to be the only live version out there.

I wish Michael performed Music & Me as an adult.
It would have suited his adult voice perfectly.

Except for I Want You Back, The Love You Save & I'll be There, he completely abounded the rest of his childhood discography, which is a shame.
It is a shame. So many treasures.

Last edited:
What the… took me a while to figure out that horrendous thread title!

Edit: Wasn’t that bad, on closer examination. Just need capitalization of the title.

Last edited:
Back