RIP Sinead O'Connor / appreciation thread

a4bda49433cf91855254ec24923ae657.jpg

Just finished a documentary on tv. They were supposed to broadcast the 1973 film "the wicker man" but they changed it due to her passing. While I was initially slightly annoyed at this I did continue to watch the doc and learned a lot. Naturally I have Spotify lined up with her albums now :eek:

That moment where she got booed by the crowd was intense. I genuinely did not know what was going to happen. It was sad, she came on stage smiling but when she heard the boos you could see her face change to feeling very uneasy and they just kept booing, the crows was relentless. So she could have ran off stage and that was acceptable, she could have bursted into tears which would also have been acceptable but she decided to let her anger erupt and gave the most punk performance in the history of pop music. It was awesome to behold. My favorite moment was when Kristofferson immediately gave her hug when she went off stage. She must have felt awful but she didn't budge.
She was supposed to sing Dylan's I believe in you it's a shame that didn't go through. I heard her version of it just now and she blows Dylan's original out of the water.

Too bad Michael and her never met as both people surely would have related to each other because of hard childhoods and being abused by the media. But who knows maybe she disliked him badly due to the allegations. We will never know.

So anyway here we go I have another discography to discover. My only memory of her is watching the beautiful video of nothing compares to you on MTV as a kid. It was always a video that sucked me in and made me silent.

Just finished a documentary on tv. They were supposed to broadcast the 1973 film "the wicker man" but they changed it due to her passing. While I was initially slightly annoyed at this I did continue to watch the doc and learned a lot. Naturally I have Spotify lined up with her albums now :eek:
I've only watched fragments of that documentary. I've seen the footage of her being booed and it's just so painful to watch. I did watch an interview with the woman who did the documentary and that was really good. Wasn't sure whether to post it. Even just someone else talking about Sinead's trials and troubles is painful.

That moment where she got booed by the crowd was intense. I genuinely did not know what was going to happen. It was sad, she came on stage smiling but when she heard the boos you could see her face change to feeling very uneasy and they just kept booing, the crows was relentless.
Hideous behaviour, imo.

So she could have ran off stage and that was acceptable, she could have bursted into tears which would also have been acceptable but she decided to let her anger erupt and gave the most punk performance in the history of pop music. It was awesome to behold. My favorite moment was when Kristofferson immediately gave her hug when she went off stage.
Kris was cool in that moment. He gave her a big bear hug. Give that man a prize!

She must have felt awful but she didn't budge.
Bc she was in the right, imo. She had right on her side. She never got an apology, afaik. Not even after the story exploded all over the MSM.

She was supposed to sing Dylan's I believe in you it's a shame that didn't go through. I heard her version of it just now and she blows Dylan's original out of the water.

Too bad Michael and her never met as both people surely would have related to each other because of hard childhoods and being abused by the media. But who knows maybe she disliked him badly due to the allegations. We will never know.
It's interesting, isn't it? She wasn't a child star but she did have a certain amount in common with Michael plus being villified by the press endlessly. I think she might have been too spiky for him. Michael was such a gentle soul and she carried herself like a warrior. But you're right, it's interesting to speculate on the idea of them meeting and talking about stuff. And, actually, she wasn't abrasive off stage, necessarily. She was quiet spoken and low-key much of the time. Fierce with her opinions but not necessarily aggressive in the rest of her life.

So anyway here we go I have another discography to discover.
10 albums. That'll keep you out of trouble! :)

Her debut album sold 2.5 million, I believe. Mandinka is one of my faves. She did it at the 1989 Grammy's with the Public Enemy logo decorating the side of her head. Have you seen it? I'm posting a photo, I love it so much.

d5cd0d1430e04829ed4816c019bfebdf8e-sinead-oconnor.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

My only memory of her is watching the beautiful video of nothing compares to you on MTV as a kid. It was always a video that sucked me in and made me silent.
She worked on the arrangement for the song with Nellee Hooper. It got mixed reviews, iirc. Some people thought it was too sentimental, too heavy on the strings. Other people thought it was a masterpiece and made a global hit out of a song that most likely would have sunk without trace if she hadn't covered it. Her version of the song is beautiful, imo. The video is astonishing. I can still remember the first time I saw it. One of those iconic tv moments.

Last edited:
9781844885428.jpg

“My intention was to put all the pieces of the jigsaw that was me out on the floor and see if I could put it together. To be understood was my desire. Along with that was my desire not to have the ignorant tell my story when I’m gone. Which was what would have happened had I not told it myself.”

@zinniabooklover

Yes that performance was talked about in the doc. It's the public enemy logo apparently, she supported their grammy boycott. Mandinga features heavily in the doc, I did not know the song but I liked it from what I heard.

I noticed she appeared withdrawn or shy and quite soft spoken in many interviews, especially early on. Later each interview just seemed to annoy her lol. I would be annoyed too when every talk show host keeps asking about her shaven head. Who cares ffs
The amount of jokes about her hair on the doc... ridiculous and they were coming from respected celebrities. It completely channeled the MJ jokes. I don't understand the pride people get at making jokes at someone else's expense, it's cheap but apparently Also easy because everybody keeps laughing. Joe Pesci also made jokes about her I saw in a fragment. This guy is so funny and such a good talker why does he need to make jokes about someone else?

@filmandmusic

Don't know if you've seen this interview but there's a classic Sinead moment approx halfway through. Vid lasts for 12m 48s but if you don't want to flog through the whole thing go straight to 3m 50s - 5m 22s. The questions in this interview are really dull, imo, but her response here is awesome. The best moment is at 4m 45s. Love it!

The Raw and Uncut Interview - 1990

The Chieftains and Sinéad O’Connor perform ‘The Foggy Dew’ at the IRMA Awards - 1995

5m 39s

I didnnt kmow her son committed suicide its so sad

Back