Sharyn's Herb Ritts Thread ✨

wendijane

Proud Member
He revolutionized fashion photography, modernized the nude, and transformed celebrities into icons.

Herbert Ritts Jr. was an American fashion photographer and director known for his photographs of celebrities, models, and other cultural figures throughout the 1980s and 1990s. Although no longer with us , It seems to be that I , for one like so much of this visionary's work. Here we can post and even discuss the wonderful photography which is truly iconic from Herb Ritts & the people he has worked with, Together they created strong , exciting and at times , very powerful imagery.✨

Herb worked with many notable people from the 1980's & 1990's and i can't wait to explore all he did .
We will start with m and his captivating work with this camera genius.
He also filmed In The Closet with Herb's eye too. I dearly love these photos [ & have a few framed and displayed ] The fact that they are engraved within popular culture imagery forever. brings me, personal, immense joy.
Herb Ritts' photographic style is characterized by its simplicity, elegance, and strong graphic compositions. He often used natural light to create a sense of warmth and intimacy in his images, and his choice of black-and-white photography contributed to the timeless quality of his work.9 April 2023

For his fashion photographs, Ritts drew inspiration from painting, sculpture, film, and the work of such leading fashion and portrait photographers as George Hurrell, Horst P. Horst, Louise Dahl Wolfe, Irving Penn, and Richard Avedon.

Some of Naomi Campbell.

Naomi Campbell Video
It is around 30 secs
Naomi talks about m briefly around 0:27

"I started working with Herb Ritts in 1988 when I was 18. Herb always pushed you. He wanted to recreate you, to change you, to bring about another image of you. That's what it was all about for me.
Herb Ritts shoots often happened in the afternoon on the roof of his studio on LA's Santa Monica Boulevard – he liked that golden light. In the photo of me here, I was melting in those boots. The whole shoot was about patent leather, and we were in the sun on his studio roof. The poses could be very hard. You'd be in a lot of pain and the sun would be beating down, but Herb would say, "Just give me a little more time – I'm going to get it." You never showed the pain. You wanted to get the shot. He was charming – one of the nicest people in the world – so you wanted him to be happy. He could talk me in to anything." - Naomi Campbell

Last edited:
I've posted this before but it definitely needs to be here. Not much of Michael in this but nice little interview clip at approx 2m 12s with Herb Ritts talking about filming ITC. Couple of shots of Michael in the conga line, lol.

"Michael Jackson meets with the winners of the MTV contest "My Dinner With Michael" Rare - MTV self-introduction its first global sweepstakes with “My Dinner with Michael.” Winners from around the world attended a dinner party hosted by Jackson on the set of his music video “In the Closet.”Including Interview with Naomi Campbell and Herb Ritts plus some of the "lucky Winners".March 29, 1992 . Palm Springs, California."

8m 47s

OK, not a photo by Herb Ritts but it's nice to see what people look like. And him and Michael look fab together. Working, thinking about the video but also relaxed.

FvcvdEMWcAA5p9g

Back