short films without film?

xam

Proud Member
1) were there any MJ short films made that used digital cameras to capture video instead of film?
2) do you think Michael would move to 100% digital acquisition if he were alive now, given the big advances in digital video tech we have seen in the past few years? In other words, short films without film.
3) Panavision (makers of film cameras and lenses): do you think their days are numbered?

I think he probably would have embraced digital. He was all about new technologies. Although I don't really know how he felt about film. If he had that nostalgia for it or if he didn't think about it in that way.

Mj was smart af...he shot his shorts on film for a reason & we got a guy like branca saving them for the next 200years for whatever reason. All the footage mj recorded... in 2023 we still only get snippets.

Mj was smart af...he shot his shorts on film for a reason & we got a guy like branca saving them for the next 200years for whatever reason. All the footage mj recorded... in 2023 we still only get snippets.

Yep... MJ shot his stuff on material which can be up to 4K (or even higher) and branca is like "nah, let's keep it 480p... btw we like people making free promo on tiktok".

Yep... MJ shot his stuff on material which can be up to 4K (or even higher) and branca is like "nah, let's keep it 480p... btw we like people making free promo on tiktok".
My blood rushes when I hear his name...I will never understand wtf is his issue & how he became ceo after being fired #motive

Reactions: xam
That doesn't matter if the videos were edited on videotape. They would all have to be done over from scratch including any computer effects, which means they would not be the same video.

That doesn't matter if the videos were edited on videotape. They would all have to be done over from scratch including any computer effects, which means they would not be the same video.

And guess what.. that’s what they do usually. That’s their damn job to hire people to work on these things. But instead they release a visions box with the same VHS versions and put a sticker on it which says „remastered“ 😂

And guess what.. that’s what they do usually. That’s their damn job to hire people to work on these things. But instead they release a visions box with the same VHS versions and put a sticker on it which says „remastered“ 😂
Well, a lot of Star Wars fans did not like that George Lucas updated the effects on his movies and let the original versions go out of print, lol. At any rate, a lot of music videos by many artists that were shot on film, the original footage was thrown out or lost and only the videotape exists. I'm not saying that's the case with Mike's videos, but I have heard that this happened with the Billie Jean footage.

Recreating a music video from scratch is different than just scanning from film when the effects/editing were done on film instead of tape. This is what happened with the Missionary Man 4K video by Eurythmics. They scanned the non-effects parts from the original film, but the parts with the effects came from the videocassette edit. They weren't going to spend the money do do that over when there is no money to be made from music videos today. You can tell the difference in the video.

Back