Should Blood on the Dance Floor have not come out

Highly rate G, BOTDF & IIS. Scream Louder mix is awesome and consider it better than original sometimes. It's good to know MJ wanted it as an EP and not album as those remixes were bad imo. Also, baffled that the Ghosts demo didn't just get mixed/mastered as that bass and horror themed noises in background were/are amazing

It didn't need remixes. An EP would have been cool.
Ironically...I look at it as an ep. I dont really count the remixes...although Earth Song is my favorite remix from that album. But I don't think it should've came out as a whole album. At least not have all of them in dub step remixes.

Last edited:
Ironically...I look at it as an ep. I dont really count the remixes...although stranger in Moscow is my favorite remix from that album. But I don't think it should've came out as a whole album. At least not have all of them in dub step remixes.
It's, house, not dubstep. And, 2 Bad is a very laid back, groovy song in this form.

Kinda wish that they would have included the radio edits for some of the tracks. 7-8 minutes of house beats works fine for DJs in a club but is too long for album listening (looking at SIM YANA and ES especially)

Looked more into it and apparently Blood on the Dance Floor was released to promote the History tour. That's weird, isn't it usually the other way around; the tour is done to promote the album? And the History tour was to promote the History album so what was the point of Blood on the Dance Floor? I mean yeah having a number one single will make more people want to come to your tour but you don't need to release another album for that

The 5 new songs could later have been released as a stand alone EB. - I do not care one bit about the remixes.

But the 5 songs are amazing. - Hardhitting and amazingly creative.

In 1994 I was working a famous house club in London and we used to have DJs like Dave Morales and Frankie Knuckles come to play. Having said that, I'm not a massive house fan. At the time I thought there were too many remixes. I would have preferred a live album.

Blood on the Dancefloor is a strange case. A hybrid mix of EP and remix collection. It
Indeed. It's a combination of factors.

Firstly, you had History itself - some people resented having to buy a double CD (or triple LP) of new songs just to get the greatest hits. Conversely, some people resented having to buy the greatest hits just to get the new songs.

Secondly, they did exactly the same with the History VHS, half old and half new. Quickly followed by another History VHS, half old and half new.

Thirdly, they did exactly the same with BOTDF, half old and half new. Can you see why people might start to realize they were being taken advantage of?!

Combine this with the fact that MJ had already been releasing remixes instead of b-sides for several years.

I think the reason BOTDF was so successful as a single was because people had decided they were not going to buy the album.

I've been noticing a uptick of MJ fans downplaying MJ's success lately, I am BEGGING MJ fans to please research before downplaying MJ, We are MJ fans, not tabloids or Inside Edition. Thanks!
It's just that... sometimes it's nice to have a balanced conversation without people trying to shut down every criticism.

Is It Scary is my favourite.
I always felt this song opened a window deep into his soul, his insecurities.
This is the reason I like those songs so much. There aren't many examples like that.

econdly, it's Michael Fing Jackson. He doesn't need to have his music remixed. You can play 2 handfuls of his music in clubs the way they were originally recorded, and people would be on their feet dancing.
Lol, in 2009 there was a Jackson 5 house remix album...

The only remix I like is the History remix. It has a very catchy beat. I find myself listening to it more than the original version, which I do like too.
Yes!!

Controversial but I find it so much better than the original track.

I'm sure this remix version was number 5 in the UK charts , alongside Ghosts as a double track.

I actually think History remix got more airplay than Ghosts at the time. Once it really kicks off after the long intro and the main beat kicks in it's great. Turns into a proper anthem.

Yes!!

Controversial but I find it so much better than the original track.

I'm sure this remix version was number 5 in the UK charts , alongside Ghosts as a double track.

I actually think History remix got more airplay than Ghosts at the time. Once it really kicks off after the long intro and the main beat kicks in it's great. Turns into a proper anthem.
That is true. Ghosts and History remix did reach number 5 in the UK charts, which is really cool.

The HIStory remix was a hit in Australia I remember, and I quite liked it. But even at that time, 11 year old me knew there was something not quite up to snuff about a remix song with outtakes of his previous clips playing on TVs, and in a club. It felt like the kind of film clip a hasbeen would put together if we're being frank. That's not how I view it now but that's what 11 year old me saw in it. I think HIStory and BOTDF may have sent fans and the general public mixed messages. I remember when Invincible dropped they called it his "first album in 10 years" by a lot of the media, which goes to show that to some people HIStory wasn't quite an album either.

The HIStory remix was a hit in Australia I remember, and I quite liked it. But even at that time, 11 year old me knew there was something not quite up to snuff about a remix song with outtakes of his previous clips playing on TVs, and in a club. It felt like the kind of film clip a hasbeen would put together if we're being frank. That's not how I view it now but that's what 11 year old me saw in it. I think HIStory and BOTDF may have sent fans and the general public mixed messages. I remember when Invincible dropped they called it his "first album in 10 years" by a lot of the media, which goes to show that to some people HIStory wasn't quite an album either.
It happened to benefit the media if HIStory was downplayed. Hearing those types of songs sung was pretty anti-higher powers.

I think most fans here either don't remember or weren't around for it, but Sony not promoting MJs material started long before Invincible.

HIStory's singles in the US were an absolute joke - Earth Song was an absolute blockbuster smash and MJs best performing single ever in the UK, (it was an amazing time) but in the US they didn't even release it!!

Fans and groups including MJNI were screaming at Sony to promote HIStory in the US and they never did.

So this whole 'HIStory underperformed' garbage is exactly that. It was released at a cost of $32.98 in the US, SoundScan who track the sales before it released said that the people will buy it, not the media, and they were right: https://web.archive.org/web/2009051...time/magazine/article/0,9171,983063-2,00.html

So no, HIStory didn't underperform, BOTDF didn't either, and the title track is one of MJs fan favourites.

Back