Should Blood on the Dance Floor have not come out

Judging by that list, MJ no longer holds the "record", as the Beatles' Love has outsold it by a large margin
The list is going off of estimated/claimed sales (which are not as solid I can say) I think it would be great finding a more up to date list.
Some of the albums in the list came out in the post-naptster era, where record sales had dropped off significantly, so you can't really compare with BOTDF
This is the first time I have heard this argument on the flip side, Usually MJ fans say something along the lines of "Of course the artists of today have more Spotify streams then MJ etc" I'm looking at Madonna's remix album and she has sold less then BOTDF, and that came out in 1987. The fact that a remix album with mostly more darker less mainstream songs thrown onto it still has success like that is nothing to scoff at. It is not a full album (like Invincible)

I liked that fact that we got at least 5 new songs but I'm not really into the remixes because it feels weird that you have such and sad song with an upbeat tempo. Maybe Michael could released the song BOTDF as a single because it's a nice song and quite catchy but also maybe the other 4 also as singles because they have meaning to them. If Michael released the 5 songs as singles then the remixes would not be needed.

The list is going off of estimated/claimed sales (which are not as solid I can say) I think it would be great finding a more up to date list.

This is the first time I have heard this argument on the flip side, Usually MJ fans say something along the lines of "Of course the artists of today have more Spotify streams then MJ etc" I'm looking at Madonna's remix album and she has sold less then BOTDF, and that came out in 1987. The fact that a remix album with mostly more darker less mainstream songs thrown onto it still has success like that is nothing to scoff at. It is not a full album (like Invincible)
Sony expected more and it was widely considered a commercial flop on release. Now if you want to rewrite history so that it is more pleasant, go ahead, but the fact is that 2 million copies for what was marketed as a new Michael Jackson project was seen as a big commercial failure, and it was interpreted as such by the media and by fans back in 1997.

Yeah I didn't say that at all. I said in my comment different tastes. Learn how to read properly.
Why you getting so pressed? I didn't even @ you. Anyway. There's nothing baffling about liking the remixes. You don't like them, that's fine. No one can actually tell me what's wrong with them.

Why you getting so pressed? I didn't even @ you. Anyway. There's nothing baffling about liking the remixes. You don't like them, that's fine. No one can actually tell me what's wrong with them.
Yeah if you want to respond to something I've said maybe you should @ me next time.

Your inability to read properly and accept that what I'm posting is my opinion is not my problem I'm afraid.

Yeah if you want to respond to something I've said maybe you should @ me next time.

Your inability to read properly and accept that what I'm posting is my opinion is not my problem I'm afraid.
I don't have a problem with your opinion. It's your BuffaloBill esque way of sharing it that got me triggered.

And there's a million people saying it in a way I don't like. So it's way bigger than you.
You directly quoted what I said lmao. I'm putting you on ignore dude, sick of having to read you say stuff on here that you're only posting because you have nothing to say and are bored.

Now if you want to rewrite history so that it is more pleasant, go ahead, but the fact is that 2 million copies for what was marketed as a new Michael Jackson project was seen as a big commercial failure, and it was interpreted as such by the media and by fans back in 1997.

It was always just a remix album, so it was silly to have expected it to sell so much more. If anything, Sony overmarketed it.

The remixes, minus Scream Louder are all garbage and made no sense.

You directly quoted what I said lmao. I'm putting you on ignore dude, sick of having to read you say stuff on here that you're only posting because you have nothing to say and are bored.
Did you not see the rest of the thread where plenty of people said things I disagreed with? You think just cause you're the last to comment that means you're special. I could care less about you. But Go off, whatever.

It's the best selling remix album ever but it flopped in the US, which apparently made Sony no longer consider MJ a priority.

The single "Blood on the Dance Floor" was a smash in almost every country, but that could have just been a non-album single.
It always reminds me of having my tonsils pulled out because that was 1 of the albums i listened too before having that operation - then some time later, attending History world tour.
Didn;t pay too much attention to the remixes , just the 4 tracks plus title track, i like it better than the history album because of those four songs.and those two videos ..
And the cover art for me is second to Dangerous.

Judging by that list, MJ no longer holds the "record", as the Beatles' Love has outsold it by a large margin. Some of the albums in the list came out in the post-naptster era, where record sales had dropped off significantly, so you can't really compare with BOTDF. The fact is that record stores shipped back millions of copies of BOTDF to the label, as it significantly undersold compared to expectations. Whether we like it or not, it was a commercial disappointment for Sony. It's not how much it sold compared to other artists, it's how much it was supposed to sell considering it was MJ and Sony spent a lot of money promoting it.
Sources, please.

But yeah it should have never come out lol. It was unnecessary to release any new MJ content so soon after History underperformed.

Sony screwed up on marketing History in the US, though. It started off well with the back to back smashes of "Scream" and "You Are Not Alone", but they waited too long to release the next single in America. "Earth Song" came out in November 1995, but not in America. The next single in America was "They Don't Care About Us", which came out in April 1996, 8 months after "You Are Not Alone" came out in August 1995. Then they don't release another single in America until "Stranger in Moscow" in July 1997, 8 months after that song came out worldwide in November 1996.

They really should have given "This Time Around" a full release in America at the end of 1995, in between "You Are Not Alone" and "They Don't Care About Us". And "Stranger in Moscow" should have been released in America at the same time as it was everywhere else.

Last edited:
Sources, please.
The sales figures are on that Wikipedia page somebody posted earlier in this thread. As for the album being widely seen as a flop, I’m the source: I was around and I was a fan back then, and I would real all the music papers. People would, for years, name that album as an example of a record company shipping way too many copies of a CD to retailers.

But yeah it should have never come out lol. It was unnecessary to release any new MJ content so soon after History underperformed.

Sony screwed up on marketing History in the US, though. It started off well with the back to back smashes of "Scream" and "You Are Not Alone", but they waited too long to release the next single in America. "Earth Song" came out in November 1995, but not in America. The next single in America was "They Don't Care About Us", which came out in April 1996, 8 months after "You Are Not Alone" came out in August 1995. Then they don't release another single in America until "Stranger in Moscow" in July 1997, 8 months after that song came out worldwide in November 1996.

They really should have given "This Time Around" a full release in America at the end of 1995, in between "You Are Not Alone" and "They Don't Care About Us". And "Stranger in Moscow" should have been released in America at the same time as it was everywhere else.
Well at the time, I at least, definitely thought it was time for MJ to come with a funky dance track after History! The rest of the album was very unnecessary yes, lol. I guess MJ thought it was time to finally show the 'Ghosts' video and the BOTDF album was quickly created around that

Yep totally agree with you

Did you not see the rest of the thread where plenty of people said things I disagreed with? You think just cause you're the last to comment that means you're special. I could care less about you. But Go off, whatever.
No I think you were responding to me because you posted directly after my comment and qouted me. It's really pretty simple and obvious, stop acting dense. I'm not going to play your little game of gymnastics that you always play to get around any conflict that arises from your annoying af way of posting. Anyway this will be my last response to you you're going on ignore.

No I think you were responding to me because you posted directly after my comment and qouted me. It's really pretty simple and obvious, stop acting dense. I'm not going to play your little game of gymnastics that you always play to get around any conflict that arises from your annoying af way of posting. Anyway this will be my last response to you you're going on ignore.
This does not concern myself I admit,but maybe his initial response was nothing more than a harmless joke,am I wrong?I do not see the point in getting so furious just because of a simple and silly joke,this is why I am writting this (but you could say that I am rather wasting my time with this and getting pretty much nowhere,which would be true I suppose).

I don't give a care. You are the continual annoyance here. I would say I hope I get to block you first. But I don't even care enough to act like you offend me. I'm simply tired of many of you people and this stupid forum of would be pitchfork writers and music analysts. You in particular contribute nothing but a bad attitude and enough bitching to drive dogs into heat. Please take the break, and feel free not to come back. I ain't going nowhere meanwhile.

This does not concern myself I admit,but maybe his initial response was nothing more than a harmless joke,am I wrong?I do not see the point in getting so furious just because of a simple and silly joke,this is why I am writting this (but you could say that I am rather wasting my time with this and getting pretty much nowhere,which would be true I suppose).
Don't worry I'm not furious. I already explained why I'm blocking him in my previous posts so I'm not gonna comment on it any further.

Were only 12 remixes???? im listening to it right now on spotify and i was sure there was more than 12 remixes on the album

My favorite MJ lyric has to be Is It Scary…

Am I amusing you, or just confusing you?
Am I the beast you visualized?
And if you want to see eccentric oddities
I'll be grotesque before your eyes

I'm gonna be exactly what you wanna see
So did you come to me to see your fantasies
Performed before your very eyes?

But if you came to see, the truth and purity
It's here inside a lonely heart

Back