Should the "You Are Not Alone" rehearsals from 2009 be released?

Here's something I've always wondered. When Michael had the female fan on stage with him for YANA was he lip syncing or was he singing to them with his mic switched off?

I heard from one fan who was on stage with him that he was singing to them

I believe he sang all of his songs underneath the playback track.

I believe he sang all of his songs underneath the playback track.

Yeah, murmuring. Michael knew exactly when he was lip-synching and when he was performing live. It was a perfectly organised routine night in night out and he knew precisely when to cover his mouth to compensate for when his voice in the playback impossibly overlapped etc. This was all part of the illusion.

Michael knew exactly which parts he was going to do live. And clearly, for example during the HIStory tour, his voice was shot. He wasn't going to put additional undue strain on his voice knowing absolutely no one could hear it.

We need to drop this singing under the playback nonsense.

ChrisC;4289679 said:
Yeah, murmuring. Michael knew exactly when he was lip-synching and when he was performing live. It was a perfectly organised routine night in night out and he knew precisely when to cover his mouth to compensate for when his voice in the playback impossibly overlapped etc. This was all part of the illusion.

Michael knew exactly which parts he was going to do live. And clearly, for example during the HIStory tour, his voice was shot. He wasn't going to put additional undue strain on his voice knowing absolutely no one could hear it.

We need to drop this singing under the playback nonsense.

I know his voice was shot, but whenever playback failed or there was any such other stage mishap involving the playback, MJ can be heard singing. He doesn’t seem to be murmuring whenever he sings over playback during TDCAU, which happened a couple times during the HIStory tour. Though I don’t know how planned that’s actually was. Also the start of Thriller in Auckland I believe, even if just for a split second. And obviously Scream in Brunei and Dangerous in Ostend, though the former seems more likely to be planned.

Well he definitely didnt know/forgot the lyrics to jam & thats very apparent in oslo

Snek;4289763 said:
I know his voice was shot, but whenever playback failed or there was any such other stage mishap involving the playback, MJ can be heard singing. He doesn’t seem to be murmuring whenever he sings over playback during TDCAU, which happened a couple times during the HIStory tour. Though I don’t know how planned that’s actually was. Also the start of Thriller in Auckland I believe, even if just for a split second. And obviously Scream in Brunei and Dangerous in Ostend, though the former seems more likely to be planned.

I always think Michael was singing at the beginning of every song with playback, just in case there are any technical issues happened.
In some of the shows, he actually sang the second verse of TDCAU even it was not supposed to be live. it's quite surprising indeed.

[video=youtube;2cWrJ_1ekHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cWrJ_1ekHI[/video]

Back