Some help needed completing the list of fully finished tracks that did not end up on an official album

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I want to find out which songs were considered completely fleshed out recorded and finished but in the end never showed up on a studio album (not counting anniversary releases). According to reports most of them have leaked by now so the list should be quite substantial. I know some of them are labelled as demo but sound completely finished (she's trouble). I wanna go for Post Motown as it is already complicated enough.

So this is what I have from the top of my head and semi chronologically

Sunset Driver
Nite Line
She's Trouble
Hot Street
Someone In The Dark
Scared Of The Moon
Chicago 1945
We Are Here To Change The World
Got The Hots
Cheater
Streetwalker
Fly Away
I'm So Blue
Price Of Fame
Abortion Papers
Al Capone
Serious Effect
If You Don't Love Me
Monkey Business
Work That Body
For All Time
Someone Put Your Hand Out
Slave To The Rhythm
On The Line
Chicago
Loving You
A Place With No Name
Blue Gangsta
Xscape
I Like The Way You Love Me
Hold My Hand
I Can't Make It Another Day
This Is It
We've Had enough
Shout
What More Can I Give
Get Your Weight Off Of Me

This should be it right? All the other are clearly unfinished demos like Beautiful Girl, In The Back, Free, Don't Be Messing Around, Dreams Away, People Of The World

Also my apologies for creating an entirely new thread for this but that bloody search function here does not work for me at all

She Got It has three verses.

[Verse 1]
Hot legs all into the room, she's got the
One! (Hot cheaper)
Netted stockings, purple panties that show, she's got
Bad lips, with a ring In her nose, she's got
Busted butts, all into the seat, she's got
I was thinking that she try to be mean

[Verse 2]
Hot lips all up to her neck, she's got
Funky finger but she's giving him sex, she's got
Bad legs all into the room, she's got
Such a feeling but she's singing the blues, she's got
Hotfix, meenie minee mo
She doesn't play piano, but she did rock and roll

[Verse 3]
Hot legs all into the room, she's got
Musty water, hot cheaper perfume, she's got
Netted stockings, purple panties that show, she's got
Bad lips, with a ring in her nose, she's got
Monkey busty all into the seat
She wants to be a movie star, she'd sell on TV

Last edited:
@Hot_Street

I just listened to it again. It is one of those songs that are almost there like “dreams away“ but I can’t shake the feeling that it is a rough cut. Another example is “fall again” and “love never felt so good”. Some of the lyrics feel random and we can hear Michael communicating with the engineers here and there.
It’s definitely close though, parts of this cut would have surely made the completed song.

(...)
Chicago
(...)
Xscape
(...)
Sorry for the nitpicking, but these titles were never considered for any album during MJ's lifetime, as they are posthumous remixes of songs he worked on.

Chicago is 2014's remix of "She was lovin' me" and Xscape is 2014's remix of "Escape".

Last edited:
Sorry for the nitpicking, but these titles were never considered for any album during MJ's lifetime, as they are posthumous remixes of songs he worked on.

Chicago is 2014's remix of "She was lovin' me" and Xscape is 2014's remix of "Escape".
The song was always called Xscape. That name has been around since at least 2010.

And both were considered for albums.

The song was always called Xscape. That name has been around since at least 2010.

And both were considered for albums.
The song that leaked in 2002 was called Escape, though.

Chicago wasn't considered, as this remix didn't exist, She Was Lovin' Me however was considered.

"The Way You Love Me" was only vocally finished. The song itself was still left in demo form, though. A lot of the songs in the OP were left as demos, actually.

"For All Time" was also in demo form and the vocals weren't finished until well after Dangerous came out. The bridge wasn't finished until the time of Thriller 25, I believe.

"Someone Put Your Hand Out" wasn't given a final mix until a little after Dangerous came out.

Last edited:
Were the demos edited for The Ultimate Collection? Like remixed, or added instruments?

@Spaceship

I know TWYLM is considered a demos but to me they sound fully fleshed out. If they weren’t completed yet then I think the differences eventually would have been very small.

Anyway i don‘t think I have heard for all time’s demo yet…

@michaelid

There is the 1999 version of Chicago or she was loving me that sounds fully completed to me

None of these songs have to be considered for album inclusion, they just needed to be completed in MJ’s lifetime or at least with Michael’s approval to make my list.

You can divide his songs like this: studio album cuts, completed outtakes (she’s trouble, streetwalker), almost completed outtakes (free, fall again), far advanced demo (people of the world, beautiful girl) and very rough or basic demo’s (deep in the night, the verdict).

My main intention is wanting to store each of his known songs into one of these boxes so that we have an idea what to expect.I will change my initial post. I would like the thread to be available to make changes by everyone with knowledge, I don’t know if that is possible.

Last edited:
The song was not always called 'Xscape' because it was first listed on ASCAP in 1999 as 'Escape' (when it was a vocal guide demo sung by Fred Jerkins III).
Were the demos edited for The Ultimate Collection? Like remixed, or added instruments?
Certain of these demos were edited for the 'The Ultimate Collection' box set.

Such as, the 'In The Back' demo which appeared on that box set with a more complete instrumentation and additional arrangements, according to Brad Buxer.

In any case, all of these demos underwent additional mastering for their inclusion on that box set.

I know TWYLM is considered a demos but to me they sound fully fleshed out. If they weren’t completed yet then I think the differences eventually would have been very small.
You can easily tell right off the bat that it's just a demo from the synth lol. The same way that you can tell that this is a demo:
Vocals alone don't determine whether a song is finished or not. Even the sound quality of the mix is poor. This was the final version of "The Way You Love Me" and it's a higher quality mix than the demo:

Whether or not it was a "good" mix is irrelevant. The point is that it was a finished mix whereas the 2004 demo wasn't; the difference shows in the sound quality of the mixes. You might wanna learn what "demo" actually means lol

Last edited:
It's interesting how some of Michael's demos can be accepted as fully finished records. More so the vocally complete ones. Maybe "Come Together" might count as a demo? At least Bill Bottrell would think so...
That one came together quite quickly and spontaneously, and was pretty much left at that. Rather than being continuously perfected and refined like other songs Michael was working on. And it came out that way on the Remember The Time single, before the HIStory album.

The song was not always called 'Xscape' because it was first listed on ASCAP in 1999 as 'Escape' (when it was a vocal guide demo sung by Fred Jerkins III).

The song that leaked in 2002 was called Escape, though.
MJ wanted to call it Xscape though. To him that's what it always was. It's literally his handwriting on the album cover.

Back