Song Of The Week - Liberian Girl

Jim Yukich directed this for Michael Jackson, which was released on July 4, 1989.

Jim Yukich had also directed a video for Jeff Beck called "Ambitious," on September 18, 1985.

Both video's are time capsules of the 1980's, which is probably the reason Michael hired Jim Yukich to direct "Liberian Girl."

Michael also incorporates guitar solo's in his work, which is genius. Michael has definitely worked with some of the great's!
Rip Jeff Beck.

One of the 'strange' things about the Bad album, is that there are some massive MJ, classic songs that changed the world & everyone knows:

Bad,
TWYMMF
MITM
Dirty Diana
Smooth Crminal

Other singles that most people know
IJCSLY
Leave Me Alone

But the other tracks, which for a lesser artists would be filler are just as great (or better), yet like I put above, on paper these are nothing

Speed Demon
Liberian Girl
Another Part Of Me

These are not the mind-blowing, differently structured songs that Mike was known for making. They are just usual verse, chorus, verse, chorus, repeat to fade. But they somehow have that magic on them that elevates them

APOM especially rises to the top, but SD & LG also I've never tired of in 25+ years.
Mentioning all tracks but Just Good Friends, are we? 😂

@Agonum

I'm sure you already know this. It's not new info but I really like to be reminded about stuff like this. Especially since it's the wonderful Bruce Swedien.

Yes, I'm well aware Bruce was fond of it. How could you not be? 🙄

Bruce created a stunning audio canvas for Liberian Girl. Everything is intimate and crystal clear, but at the same time big, large and with vast space between. Listen to the kick drum and the bass. Only Bruce could make this happen! It’s absolutely bleedin’ rapid!

Yes, I'm well aware Bruce was fond of it. How could you not be? 🙄

Bruce created a stunning audio canvas for Liberian Girl. Everything is intimate and crystal clear, but at the same time big, large and with vast space between. Listen to the kick drum and the bass. Only Bruce could make this happen! It’s absolutely bleedin’ rapid!
It's his worst ever song with girlfriend according to this community ;-)

It's his worst ever song with girlfriend according to this community ;-)
'Liberian Girl' is certainly not one of his worst songs ever, according to this community.

It is the music video of that song that appears to be one of his worst music videos ever, according to this community.

'Liberian Girl' is certainly not one of his worst songs ever, according to this community.

It is the music video of that song that appears to be one of his worst music videos ever, according to this community.
There ya go lol

Back