Songs That Deserved Much Better

I always listen sparingly to my fave tracks because I don’t want to break the magic.
Oh, I quite naturally do that. It's my MO. I don't even think about it, just happens all by itself. My brain takes care of the 'shuffle' and also the 'don't overdo it' thing.

I've seen / heard comments from Michael fans who, bc they have been fans for years, now cannot listen to certain songs or albums bc they have overdone it. Listened to stuff just TOO many times - bc of the excitement - and they can't take it anymore. They still love Michael and they don't think the songs are crap but they are maxed out.

I never get that, presumably bc I have this internal 'rationing' thing going on. For me to have a song on heavy rotation might mean listening to it a couple of times across a week, lol.

Spotify told me I listenend to “someone in the dark” just 26 times in 2022.
See, 26 times in a calendar year would be quite a lot for me. If I was bonding with a song that was new to me, yeah, but otherwise it would usually be way less than that. I don't actually keep a tally, obvs, but I just know I don't listen to stuff hundreds of times in a given time period. Plus, I have loads of bands / artists I wanna listen to so that naturally puts a limit on things.

My father used to put songs on repeat for a couple of hours for example but he is crazy.
I've done this in the past but it pretty much never happens now. I've had a single song on repeat for a whole weekend. Did it with Kashmir. Did it with Pictures (the whole album). Did it with The Real Thing (song). And I do mean an ENTIRE weekend.

I've certainly had many songs on repeat for several hours at a stretch. Interestingly, I can't remember ever doing it with a Michael song. Have definitely listened to some of his songs over and over. But I can't recall doing it for 2 or 3 hours whereas I know I've done that with some of my songs.

I don't think your Dad is crazy! I can relate, lol.

26 times on 365 days really isn’t much but for my standards perhaps it is.
The last 1,5 month I barely listened to Michael. I’m going hard on Curtis Mayfield, the MJ tribute albums and some metal band called Bathory 😂 I don’t even know how I found out about their existence.

In my early 20s I defi,itely got tired with MJ’s discography, didn’t listen to him at all. It was all Bob Dylan back then but MJ came back with a vengeance

26 times on 365 days really isn’t much but for my standards perhaps it is.
Yeah, I guess when you put it like that ...

The last 1,5 month I barely listened to Michael. I’m going hard on Curtis Mayfield, the MJ tribute albums and some metal band called Bathory 😂 I don’t even know how I found out about their existence.
oh god, Bathory. I'm not up with black metal / death metal / whatever-the-hell metal. I literally tried to listen to one song by them. It was about 10 mins long, IIRC, and it seemed to be very Dungeons - and - Dragon-y, iyswim. I got halfway through and gave up. Love me some loud rock but this was ... it just wasn't for me. There was a video, there was a forest, it was night-time, there might have been cloaks and hoods and ... stuff ... :eek:

Curtis, otoh, oh yes!

In my early 20s I defi,itely got tired with MJ’s discography, didn’t listen to him at all.
I think actual fans do go hard on their 'person'. Or Michael's fans seem to, anyway. I think I've always had a filter in place plus I read more than I listen to music. I don't listen to music at the same time as anything else. So that cuts things down massively.

It was all Bob Dylan back then but MJ came back with a vengeance
I think this back and forth between His Bobness and Michael is endlessly fascinating. Polar opposites in many ways. Yin and yang! We definitely need them both. ❤️

Last edited:
oh god, Bathory. I'm not up with black metal / death metal / whatever-the-hell metal. I literally tried to listen to one song by them.
Completely agree on black/death metal but they (or rather he as I read it is a one man band doing everything by himself) also made a "subgenre" called Viking Metal and that is the stuff that grabbed me. He sings (not screams or grunts) about Valhalla and warriors and thunderstorms and heroics. It gets my blood pumping.
Now the singing is not very good but he does it so passionately and in combination with the lyrics and slow heavy metal it completely immerses me in this world he created. The production is also lacking hard but maybe that is also what makes this tick for me.
Music is weird. I go from poorly produced and sung metal to brilliantly produced and mixed music on Thriller and it feels completely normal lol.

Completely agree on black/death metal but they (or rather he as I read it is a one man band doing everything by himself) also made a "subgenre" called Viking Metal and that is the stuff that grabbed me. He sings (not screams or grunts) about Valhalla and warriors and thunderstorms and heroics. It gets my blood pumping.
Yes, that's it! Valhalla and warriors - that's exactly what this video was like. It did NOT get my blood pumping, lol. More like, it got my 'housework-to-do' list going in my head. :ROFLMAO:

Now the singing is not very good but he does it so passionately
I don't mind crap singing or crap voices. I'm fine with so-so voices or average voices or voices that are decent but nothing special. Not everyone has to be a virtuoso and it doesn't always work, anyway. Whitney Houston had a magnificent voice and her material was stellar. She bores the pants off me. That's just the way it is. I can't like someone just bc they are good. I can certainly recognise how good or great someone is. I've always been able to do that. But that's not the key thing. They have to be able to reach me. Lots of my punk bands were crap if you were judging them on Whitney level, for example. But they gave me everything I needed. That will always win.

and in combination with the lyrics and slow heavy metal it completely immerses me in this world he created.
Yeah, I can understand that. It's just not a world that I wanna pay attention to. But I can see the appeal for other peeps.

The production is also lacking hard but maybe that is also what makes this tick for me.
See above comments re voices. I don't think everything has to be slick and perfect. Things can be rough and ready but if the passion and emotion is there - the conviction - that carries the song a long way, imo.

Music is weird. I go from poorly produced and sung metal to brilliantly produced and mixed music on Thriller and it feels completely normal lol.
But it is normal, imo. I know other people feel very differently about this and, no disrespect, we are all swayed by our own tastes, but I don't understand it. I've always been just as happy to listen to the highest quality cathedral choir sacred choral music one minute and the next I'm listening to a snotty punk who can't sing to save their life but they've GOT something. If they've got what it takes to get through to me, slam dunk! I'm in.

I agree. Music IS weird. I think that's why I love it so much. It's a mystery that can't (shouldn't?) be solved.

I Can't Help It is an amazing song from Off The Wall that showcases Michael's vocal ability. It should have been released as a single. But because it wasn't and the fact that Michael never bothered to perform it live, it is a song that only hardcore fans are aware of.

Morphine is another one that has always been a favourite of mine. Instead of being released on a remix album, it should have been released on History, which would have given it more exposure.
You couldn't have picked two better songs to highlight.

I've seen / heard comments from Michael fans who, bc they have been fans for years, now cannot listen to certain songs or albums bc they have overdone it. Listened to stuff just TOO many times - bc of the excitement - and they can't take it anymore. They still love Michael and they don't think the songs are crap but they are maxed out.
I never listen to his most obvious famous songs. They aren't in my playlists, and if they are, I skip them most of the time.

But funny enough, I have no problem listening to all his other songs on repeat since forever.

I never listen to his most obvious famous songs. They aren't in my playlists, and if they are, I skip them most of the time.

But funny enough, I have no problem listening to all his other songs on repeat since forever.
This should go in the what makes you a heretic thread 😃

Lmao same here, I almost never listen to his most mainstreamed songs. Songs like Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal are for the filthy casuals, give me Hollywood Tonight and Al Capone instead 🙃

I personally like “ one more chance” a lot. The video is fun as well. I’d like to hear an extended version because there are some horns coming in while it is fading out.

Lmao same here, I almost never listen to his most mainstreamed songs. Songs like Billie Jean and Smooth Criminal are for the filthy casuals, give me Hollywood Tonight and Al Capone instead 🙃
Nah, Smooth Criminal is genius, real fans know that song, and it's video, are way better than Thriller. And real fans also know Motown 25 was his weakest moonwalk.

You're simply not elitist enough, buddy.

Liberian Girl, that waste of a nonsensical video was scandalous for such an amazing vocal, lyric and topic
But you are right the song has so much potential. I hope it gets a resurgence somehow. It doesn’t sound out of place at all in todays music landscape.

This is some sort of local Billboard chart so probably not that significant but it was cheerful news, nevertheless.

Noted.

My most listened to Michael song. :ROFLMAO:
Nah, Smooth Criminal is genius, real fans know that song, and it's video, are way better than Thriller. And real fans also know Motown 25 was his weakest moonwalk.

You're simply not elitist enough, buddy.
Yeah I was just making a snarky joke lol, listen to whatever, no one actually minds. To me though I prefer to listen to unreleased/posthumously released songs because I heard his popular songs for basically all of my life and now I crave for new content and unreleased songs are the closest thing to that lol.

Ngl though, I do think that Al Capone is better than Smooth Criminal and MJ should've had focused on that song instead. Here's another song that deserved better 😁

Last edited:
Yeah I was just making a snarky joke lol,
No, I got that. That was my sarky (not snarky!) joke in response. No hard feelings, I totally got what you were doing there. I definitely do not have a bright future as a stand-up comedian, lol. Back to the day job!

Note to self: use laughing emoji even more than you already do, lol

listen to whatever, no one actually minds.
Exactly so. Also, tbh, I wouldn't care if anybody did mind. I listen to whatever I want. Pretty much like most people, I imagine.

To me though I prefer to listen to unreleased/more newly released songs nowadays because I heard his popular songs for basically all of my life
That's kinda the original point I was making. Long-term veteran fans who have listened to Michael's songs for years are likely going to arrive at a point where they crave something new. I'm not expecting to ever get to that point bc I never maxed out any particular song or album with any of my bands. I have been hearing Michael's music all my life bc I heard all the Q stuff first time around and it saturated the airwaves - which I was very happy about - but in my own listening life, I just seem to have a natural cut-off point.

and I crave for new content and unreleased songs are the closest thing to that lol.
Makes total sense. Having listened to Dream Away I can understand the yearning to hear the stuff that is still hidden away. I've already said this but as soon as I heard DA it totally obliterated Disc 2 of T40. So I do get it. When I've listened to Brad Buxer talk about stuff he and Michael were working on in the late 2000's I can't help feeling a little bit frustrated. Will we ever get to hear it? I'm not exactly pining for it but, at the same time, I'd love it if there was some kind of hopeful sign that we'll get it at some point. Preferably sooner rather than later. Sigh!

Last edited:
This whole convo makes me laugh because a few days ago I was listening to Billie Jean in the car and I actually screamed out loud to no one "I WILL NEVER GET SICK OF THIS SONG!!" 😂

I wish I had the self control of others here. I haven't ruined any Michael songs for myself yet. But my stats on Spotify would horrify all of you. The hundreds of times I've listened to some of my favorite MJ songs this past year... I only started in Jan 2022 and he became my most listened to artist ever by like August lol

This whole convo makes me laugh because a few days ago I was listening to Billie Jean in the car and I actually screamed out loud to no one "I WILL NEVER GET SICK OF THIS SONG!!" 😂

I wish I had the self control of others here.
See, this is the thing. It's not self control. Not in my book. It's just me being me. I'm not preventing myself from listening to songs hundreds of times over. Was it this thread or another one where I mentioned some songs that I have spent an *entire* weekend listening to on repeat? I have had many songs that have been on heavy rotation for hours at a stretch. But, generally, it works out differently for me.

I sense this another one of those 'No, what I meant was ... ' convos. I can feel it, lol. :ROFLMAO:

I haven't ruined any Michael songs for myself yet. But my stats on Spotify would horrify all of you. The hundreds of times I've listened to some of my favorite MJ songs this past year...
No, I would see it as totally normal.

I only started in Jan 2022 and he became my most listened to artist ever by like August lol
Why am I not surprised? But then again, why did it take you until August? Why did your stats not tell this story already by, oh I dunno, April?

Yeah I was just making a snarky joke lol, listen to whatever, no one actually minds. To me though I prefer to listen to unreleased/posthumously released songs because I heard his popular songs for basically all of my life and now I crave for new content and unreleased songs are the closest thing to that lol.

Ngl though, I do think that Al Capone is better than Smooth Criminal and MJ should've had focused on that song instead. Here's another song that deserved better 😁
Al Capone was pretty smooth, but that early demo of Smooth Criminal was heavy in the best way. I see the switch over.

But my stats on Spotify would horrify all of you. The hundreds of times I've listened to some of my favorite MJ songs this past year... I only started in Jan 2022 and he became my most listened to artist ever by like August lol
Please horrify give us a glimpse into your madness 🤩
See, this is the thing. It's not self control. Not in my book. It's just me being me.
Same her.
Al Capone was pretty smooth, but that early demo of Smooth Criminal was heavy in the best way. I see the switch over.

Very cool, when did this leak? New to me!

I only trust stuff that is posted here not on youtube so I usually don’t open such stuff on youtube which explains why I missed it.

I only trust stuff that is posted here not on youtube so I usually don’t open such stuff on youtube which explains why I missed it.
I'm glad it's not just me. I haven't listened to a ton of stuff bc I'm usually content with what I already have but also bc I'm a bit wary of YT, feels a bit like the Wild West to me, lol. It probably isn't, I know they have policies etc and I have accessed some stuff over there but I'm still wary. :D

Back