Songs That Deserved Much Better

The video essentially takes your attention away from the song. It is indeed very bad.
On the other hand it is fun to see who was part of it and it is amazing that MJ was able to bring all of them together for the shoot. This is unless it is just genius editing and none of them were actually present lol

But you are right the song has so much potential. I hope it gets a resurgence somehow. It doesn’t sound out of place at all in todays music landscape.

BTW it was nr 1 in Ireland!
Yeah, he definitely had the pulling power, I'm Irish by the way, we got Liberian Girl well looked after!

Yeah, he definitely had the pulling power, I'm Irish by the way, we got Liberian Girl well looked after!
Does the song still get airplay in Ireland? It fizzled out quickly in other European countries but I always remembered the Irish back then loved it.

I wish MJ had revisited 'Dangerous'. I appreciate it fizzled away during the allegations, but he could have brought it back a standalone single. He could have even used the MTV mix. He had plenty of opportunities' to do this. Maybe 'Dangerous' new version instead of 'Come Together' on the HIStory album, or even in 2001 as part of the special edition re-release of 'Dangerous'. This was just before Invincible came out so would have been a great draw for the release.

I think Dangerous pretty much ran its course by the time of the allegations. What was it by then 9 singles? Only 4 of them hit top 10 in the US I don't think there was more in there.

I think Dangerous pretty much ran its course by the time of the allegations. What was it by then 9 singles? Only 4 of them hit top 10 in the US I don't think there was more in there.
There's more to the world than just the US. And it's for the videos mostly. Having live performances takes the sting away but I always appreciate having more like that.

Please fact check what you say or state it as your opinion to avoid misinformation
I wish MJ had revisited 'Dangerous'. I appreciate it fizzled away during the allegations, but he could have brought it back a standalone single. He could have even used the MTV mix. He had plenty of opportunities' to do this. Maybe 'Dangerous' new version instead of 'Come Together' on the HIStory album, or even in 2001 as part of the special edition re-release of 'Dangerous'. This was just before Invincible came out so would have been a great draw for the release.
If you mean as a bonus track, technically that was impossible.

Unlike the other 2001 Special Edition albums, the 2001 Special Edition of the 'Dangerous' album could not contain any other (bonus) tracks because it had already reached its maximum CD capacity.

But it was seemingly because of the allegations that Michael Jackson decided to perform 'Dangerous' on stage (with the inclusion of the female silhouette) in the 1993 leg of his Dangerous Tour.

But it was seemingly because of the allegations that Michael Jackson decided to perform 'Dangerous' on stage (with the inclusion of the female silhouette) in the 1993 leg of his Dangerous Tour.
That’s patently untrue. The choreography with the female silhouette was first performed at the AMA’s in January 1993, months before any sort of allegation. I would highly appreciate it if you would stop spreading misinformation on a per post basis Frenzy.

There's more to the world than just the US. And it's for the videos mostly. Having live performances takes the sting away but I always appreciate having more like that.
Singles faired better in Europe but still quite disappointing for MJ's standards in the 80s. Especially the NJS songs did quite poor. Gone too soon flew by without anyone noticing it really, it's a shame it is a beauty.

Wasn't Dangerous going to be the next single? I don't know it could have been a hit but as the 10th single? I'm not sure.

How did the tracks fare in Belgium? He mentioned US performance.
Black or White nr 1
Remember The Time nr 2
In the Closet nr 14
Who Is It nr 9
Jam nr 10
Heal The World nr 3
Give In To Me nr 13
Will You Be There nr 3
Gone Too Soon nr 21

6 top 10 hits which is good, Bad had 6 top 10 hits too but 4 of them hit nr 1.
In Europe the stats were better in general but not spectacular.

Liberian Girl, probably one of my favourite songs of all time.

I really wish Mike would have done a short film with a beautiful woman and made a proper video for it, perhaps then the song would have got more attention, that it deserved

Also Is It Scary, Whatever Happens and Tabloid Junkie

The choreography with the female silhouette was first performed at the AMA’s in January 1993, months before any sort of allegation.
I know that the choreography with the female silhouette was first performed at the American Music Awards (in January 1993), months before any sort of allegation.

My point is that the fact that he decided to perform it again (with the female silhouette) in the 1993 leg of his Dangerous Tour seems to suggest that it was because of the allegations.
Wasn't Dangerous going to be the next single? I don't know it could have been a hit but as the 10th single? I'm not sure.
American filmmaker David Lynch was reportedly in talks with the singer for that music video (as the tenth single).

But, the moderate chart success in various countries of the previous ninth single ('Gone Too Soon') in conjunction with Michael Jackson's failing health at the time, apparently led to the cancellation of 'Dangerous' as the next and final single from the album.

The closest thing (that his fans got) to the cancelled 'Dangerous' music video was a 30-second teaser commercial for the 'Dangerous' album, which was made (2 years earlier) by the same filmmaker.

My point is that the fact that he decided to perform it again (with the female silhouette) in the 1993 leg of his Dangerous Tour seems to suggest that it was because of the allegations.
Yet there is absolutely nothing which would suggest that apart from your imagination. He rehearsed the song (with the silhouette) before the allegations hit.

I don’t believe it’s that hard to write “I believe this happened because of…” as long as it is not a generally accepted theory. But it appears that you never understand.

I always find it funny how every thread mj_frenzy joins in it turns into a heated argument lmfao

As for the topic of this thread though, I think the Neff-U remix of Hollywood Tonight is really underrated and deserves more recognition, it's faithful to the original demo, it doesn't change the vision MJ had for the song and on top of that the breakdown and the guitar solo on the bridge are incredible. By far the best version of the song Imo.

In the Motown catalog, recently I was thinking (actually not just recently but I listened to it recently) that What You Don't Know could have been a powerful song about various more serious topics... but instead they made it one more random love song...
So I don't know about single releases and promotions... not things that I usually care much about... but it would have deserved better lyrics !

(If I'm not mistaking it was also one of Michael's favorite on Dancing Machine or on that-solo-album-that-nevrer-got-released-and-became-Dancing-Machine-and-Farewell-My-Summer-Love <- facts to be checked.)

In more recent career, songs that I think would have deserved more attention (like being completed back then and/or released) (non-exhaustive) : People Of The World , Seeing Voices , Dream Away , We've Had Enough , Scared of the Moon , Gloucestershire , ...

In the Motown catalog, recently I was thinking (actually not just recently but I listened to it recently) that What You Don't Know could have been a powerful song about various more serious topics... but instead they made it one more random love song...
So I don't know about single releases and promotions... not things that I usually care much about... but it would have deserved better lyrics !

(If I'm not mistaking it was also one of Michael's favorite on Dancing Machine or on that-solo-album-that-nevrer-got-released-and-became-Dancing-Machine-and-Farewell-My-Summer-Love <- facts to be checked.)

In more recent career, songs that I think would have deserved more attention (like being completed back then and/or released) (non-exhaustive) : People Of The World , Seeing Voices , Dream Away , We've Had Enough , Scared of the Moon , Gloucestershire , ...
What You Don’t Know – one of my favourites!

In general every song MJ featured on in the 70s-80s. There's tons and tons, like Get It with Stevie, The Man with Paul McCartney, and Who's Right Who's Wrong with Kenny Loggins. And a big one, Eaten Alive with Diana Ross. There's also the Freddie Mercury collaborations.

@Agonum
you must love this one!
Yeah, sure do!

But I have to say, I find it somewhat hard to listen to those early songs these days. You can hear so much excitement in his voice, just imagine – all that was ahead of him, and… it’s painful! Something I will have to work with, I guess.

Having said that, the bass here is really something. The song as a whole is a Motown showcase!

The Thriller 25 Remixes.

No, I'm just kidding. Mostly.
I personally feel mixed about them, some I like better than others. However, I think most people can agree they don't top the originals by even a bit, lol. I don't dislike them as much as some people do though, but I don't love them either.

That being said, if they hadn't existed, I wouldn't have missed them.

I Can't Help It is an amazing song from Off The Wall that showcases Michael's vocal ability. It should have been released as a single. But because it wasn't and the fact that Michael never bothered to perform it live, it is a song that only hardcore fans are aware of.

Morphine is another one that has always been a favourite of mine. Instead of being released on a remix album, it should have been released on History, which would have given it more exposure.

I find it somewhat hard to listen to those early songs these days. You can hear so much excitement in his voice, just imagine – all that was ahead of him, and… it’s painful! Something I will have to work with, I guess.
Just want to say how much I relate to this. You are most definitely not alone with this struggle. I know Michael had a lot of joy in his life too and I don't like to only focus on the sorrowful times. But it's very hard to forget sometimes that the sweet, exuberant, joyful young man in the 70s and early 80s is the same who would go on to suffer so much. It's very painful. I don't mean to belabor it, but the pain is very, very real and it *absolutely* affects how I listen to him.

But I have to say, I find it somewhat hard to listen to those early songs these days. You can hear so much excitement in his voice, just imagine – all that was ahead of him, and… it’s painful!
It is painful. Sometimes I can't watch film footage from back in the day, even stuff I used to be quite happy to watch, back in my innocent days when I didn't know stuff. It's just hard. And then it's not just his voice or his little face. Sometimes it's the lyrics he had to sing. Quite a few of those early songs I can't listen to anymore. Or, with songs I wasn't familiar with bc they weren't released as singles, I get to know them, they are brilliant, I get madly excited and then do a massive emotional retreat bc I can't cope.

It even carries on beyond that. The Jacksons' Bless His Soul springs to mind. Wonderful song but I listen to it very sparingly bc of the lyrics. Of course, it's different to the 'child star' thing bc it's 1978, they wrote the song and presumably Michael wrote the lyrics or had input into them. I want to listen to that song more than I do but can't quite manage it just now. That said, I'd still like that song to have a higher profile. I wish it had been a double A-side. That way it could at least pop up as a radio request occasionally.

Something I will have to work with, I guess.
For me it seems to go in phases.

Having said that, the bass here is really something. The song as a whole is a Motown showcase!
:)

Wonderful song but I listen to it very sparingly bc of the lyrics.
I always listen sparingly to my fave tracks because I don’t want to break the magic. Spotify told me I listenend to “someone in the dark” just 26 times in 2022. It really isn’t a big amount. My father used to put songs on repeat for a couple of hours for example but he is crazy.

Back