Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary /DVD/ TV / Theater Release [Discussion]

I don't like being negative, but I'm hating the butcher's job they did on the film. So many highlights have been cut out. The amazing duet with Stevie Wonder. California Raisins footage.The precious 10 seconds of Liberian Girl (or did I miss them?). And in favor of what? Mood-killing commercials every 5 minutes. FFFFfff...
They could have at least cut on some talk instead of Michael footage :(

Did anybody notice that lady that said shame on us when talking about Michael's death?

Is this documentary going to be available on DVD?

I don't like being negative, but I'm hating the butcher's job they did on the film. So many highlights have been cut out. The amazing duet with Stevie Wonder. California Raisins footage.The precious 10 seconds of Liberian Girls (or did I miss them?). And in favor of what? Mood-killing commercials every 5 minutes. FFFFfff...

We're fortunate that something like this is being broadcast on national television. Let's not get pushed out of shape about television time constraints. We'll get the whole thing on the DVD!

Did anybody notice that lady that said shame on us when talking about Michael's death?

Yea the whole where were you part was much longer in theaters and that comment is in better context there. People actually applauded when she said that at the showing I went to.

Cool... I will buy the DVD when it comes out.

It was cute during the credits when they showed that man with the amputated leg cleaning Michael's star on the Holywood Walk of Fame and they do a long shot of him getting up and walking away on his crutches :)

So amazing! Beyond my expectation. I enjoyed this more than this is it. Michael is A true genius. Can't wait to buy this on bluray with more extras.

Thank you Spike Lee! That was amazing and I cannot wait to get to the dvd and see it all. I was doing fine until they brought up June 25. I couldn't stop crying after that. Even though it was difficult to see their reactions it was sweet though. They loved him too.

I loved seeing the behind the scenes and Michael was a little flirt with Siedah and Tatiana lol. I don't think that he was that shy lol. My respect for Michael has grown even more. I really hope his kids watched this. They would be proud. I miss him so much.

Yes, I did. It seems she's was saying that nobody was there for MJ the way they should
have seeing as they were his friends.

Oh, I will be purchasing the DVD when it comes out.

Yea the whole where were you part was much longer in theaters and that comment is in better context there. People actually applauded when she said that at the showing I went to.

I said to myself good for her for saying that. I applaud her too.

Yes, I did. It seems she's was saying that nobody was there for MJ the way they should
have seeing as they were his friends.

Oh, I will be purchasing the DVD when it comes out.

People let Michael down and he should still be here. It was said so fast but I caught it and was glad she said it.

Did they cut out Sheryl's comment about Michael's arousal? And the kiss with Tatiana? And Joe's comment that Michael should have f*cked Tatiana? Am I too paranoid if I suspect an agenda in removing all heterosexual references regarding Michael?

It is on TV and I am sure kids are watching

^they left in some of the discussion about the kiss (the director told her not to kiss him bc he thought it would be too corny but Tatiana said she could smell mint on MJ's breath). They also show the MSG kiss.

They left out the F her comment and the arousal comment but I understand those cuts since it's on during a family friendly hour

As some people pointed out you have to realize that Thanksgiving is a time for families to get together and if they are watching this it means everyone from 7 to 70 years old would be watching this together. So you realize that they would remove any reference arousal and f*cking. It's logical and expected.

I don't like being negative, but I'm hating the butcher's job they did on the film. So many highlights have been cut out. The amazing duet with Stevie Wonder. California Raisins footage.The precious 10 seconds of Liberian Girl (or did I miss them?). And in favor of what? Mood-killing commercials every 5 minutes. FFFFfff...
They could have at least cut on some talk instead of Michael footage :(

Again as pointed out it's a huge thing that a major network is airing this on such an important date. It's obvious that they made this general public friendly. They know very well that the MJ fans can and will get the DVD with all the extra bonus features. This was perfect to remind and attract the non fan general public.

Spike just tweeted this! Totally buying this! :)

2bqsn6.jpg

kind of sad to see all those cuts, but I guess its what promotion and mass tv are all about.

no speed demon, no stevie wonder / just good friends

BUT still the best MJ doc, even in this edited format

She is a journalist, and a big hypocrite. Like Nelson George (black guy wearing cap) relentlessly trashed MJ when he was walking among us.

LOVED IT, so cant wait for this to come out on dvd. michael I am so damn proud of you. and even more proud to be one of your biggest fans.

Sooooo good, this thing was!

I've read about the full verison of the documentary, so I noticed a lot was cut out.

They cut out completely the bits with Stevie Wonder recording JUST GOOD FRIENDS, as well as anything about SPEED DEMON. :(

You'd think they would have kept in the Stevie Wonder stuff!
I think for the sake of time, they should have cut the Liberian Girl stuff and traded it for Just Good Friends.

Also, there was more Sheryl Crow and Tatiana stuff, amongst other things that I noticed were left out.

Weird how I know it's going to be on DVD, but I'm bummed the general public won't see that extra stuff.
I don't get why it wasn't a 2 hour block. Showing a repeat of Modern Family could have been cut.

Anyhow, really good stuff.

*random thoughts*

Oh, and while the IJCSLY performance in the studio was cute, it was obviously not them actually recording the song. They aren't even wearing headphones. I think the real recording was from those photos where he's in a burgundy jacket n such.

Kanye was right about the Leave Me Alone video. Yet to be matched. Would love to see more footage of that.
And man! This is before photoshop! They had to physically cut out each frame of him without the magic wand tool :D

Seeing the MSG footage in HD on TV got me more in a fit of how good it looked (compared to Wembley DVD).
The footage looked SO good EVEN KNOWING that that they did that thing where they zoom in on the 4:3 picture to fill the 16:9 space.
Damnit, I want a U.S. leg (or a u-matic show) released!

Also, an ad for the DVD/Blu Ray would have been neat to throw in at the end of the documentary. But I guess very too soon.

And what's with the hate for the choreographers? Maybe they remember things differently.

Again as pointed out it's a huge thing that a major network is airing this on such an important date. It's obvious that they made this general public friendly. They know very well that the MJ fans can and will get the DVD with all the extra bonus features. This was perfect to remind and attract the non fan general public.

Most fans have already watched the German version anyway and would later get the DVD. What I would have liked is general public to see more of candid Michael shots, because they speak for him better than any of those talking heads (however famous and grateful they are). Cutting out MJ footage is inexcusable.

P.S. I also find it sad that Germany and UK are showing the full thing and Michael's home country had to "make it general public friendly." But that's a completely different sore topic.

Last edited:

And what's with the hate for the choreographers? Maybe they remember things differently.

I didn't said anything about Michael Paterson. Only Jefrey Daniel, who, if remember things differently, like I said, is delusional. Even if he didn't watch Grease, what I'm sure he watched, he could never proclaim something like "it was the first time that anyone...".
One time I e-mailed Jeffrey to know about the "real moonwalk"(the circling) he talk in Magic and The Madness book Michael did in the Victory Tour. With me, he seemed to be talking about that one from Smooth Criminal that Michael in 88 incorporated to Billie Jean, which in fact Jeffrey had already done on TV before. So I sent him another e-mail with two videos, one from Victory, other from Bad, to he "discontradict" himself(I did't say it to him), but he never answered

Last edited:

Wasn't Justin Bieber in the full version too? Funny how they cut him out.

He even tweeted to his fans to watch tonight because he gave an interview for it. I hope the Belieber's enjoyed the show anyway.

And he was promoting the film on Twitter. Tsk-tsk.

She is a journalist, and a big hypocrite. Like Nelson George (black guy wearing cap) relentlessly trashed MJ when he was walking among us.

Oh no really? That's too bad because I liked when she said that.

It's ok. You can still like when she said that. It's true what she said.
Show me the receipts of her saying something bad...

Anyhoo, the more I think about it, the more bummed I am that they cut the Stevie Wonder stuff out. That little bit of just him singing in the mic and talking with Stevie was perfect!

Back