[Spoiler] Documentary On Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ From Jackson Estate And Sony Music Entertainment

To generate excitement around it, maybe preview to gather feedback 🤔, why else would you show an unfinished product.
All they had to do was mention it & it would've gained excitement. I guess they figure we know they're full of it

Bruce has passed away last December.
That is true. 🙁

I'd be wondering if they could have got clearance to use some of the footage of him that is out there. Maybe that wouldn't work, maybe there'd be too much discrepancy in the quality or whatever. Or maybe get someone to talk about Bruce's contribution. I'm no film maker so I don't know what the answer is. I'd have thought they could find a way around this.

Thriller 40th review:

5/10

It starts with a brief bad montage of Jackson 5 to off the wall. Nothing special, nothing new.

Then the endless interviews start.

Highlight: The girl is mine.
Video recording session
Paul McCartney and MJ singing (never seen before)
Maybe 1min footage
Heavily edited between interviews

Then more interviews
Nothing new.
The pacing is a bit all over the place.

Beat it.
Demo audio that we all heard already.
Then 2 deleted cuts from Beat It music video and some never seen behind the scene (all in glorious 4K)
Unfortunately very short.

Billie Jean.
Some bit of music video and demo audio
Nothing new there.
Wonderful footage of BTS (K-pop band) 😜

Thriller
Some bit of the music video (and some unseen behind the stage) all in 4K include the unseen making of.
Interview with MJ at a desk that seemed to be made from the thriller video. Unseen before.

Then some boring bits and interviews.
Pepsi advert ( A french fan uploaded the original 35mm reel a few years back with oversaturated highlight)
They took that footage from YouTube and put some AI filter on it. So it looks like a cartoon.

Mentioning Motown 25th and ET storybook
Grammies. Nothing new there to see.

Then the moment I was waiting for.

Victory tour live Los Angeles in amazing Glorious 4K
Very short beginning of the entrance and the start of WBSS.
Snippet of human nature and beat it.
Billie Jean is weirdly edited with multiple non-synchronised angles. (And added with some low-quality footage that we already saw)
The audio isn't great.

The victory tour 4K footage is in total there for 4min

Overall you ll learn nothing new in that documentary.
90% is people being interviewed.

I ll say 12min out of 1h30min is unseen.

Quincy jones is briefly mentioned and they randomly put the audio of him talking about carousel taken from the thriller special edition 2001.

Watching this in a room full of MJ fans wasn’t great either as some people kept talking, loudly commenting and screaming during the screening

The rating is my own personal opinion.
Someone may think it was amazing and rate it 10/10

If you’re the same Lounis that we’ve all had the displeasure of knowing for years you WOULD say that. When you’re sitting on hours upon hours of unseen incredible material that you tease the fans with to stroke your own ego a documentary with 10 mins of unseen footage is nothing to you.

Us mere peasants look forward to unseen things because we haven’t had the fortune you have to own materials that most of us will die without ever knowing even existed.

If you’re the same Lounis that we’ve all had the displeasure of knowing for years you WOULD say that. When you’re sitting on hours upon hours of unseen incredible material that you tease the fans with to stroke your own ego a documentary with 10 mins of unseen footage is nothing to you.

Us mere peasants look forward to unseen things because we haven’t had the fortune you have to own materials that most of us will die without ever knowing even existed.
Don't think he's had anything since Rome & Tokyo '88 leaked years ago....

just one question to those who have watched the documentary, was there any profanity?

this will be a crucial factor in terms of widespread reach, and maintaining michael’s standards.

Be careful, Lou-Lou might get angry with this post and he’ll come back only when he’ll try to promote his next book.

Also, everyone has a different opinion about Quincy Jones, but when you talk about Thriller you have to talk about Quincy Jones.
He was barely mentioned in that documentary.
Quincy jones is very respected and is an amazing musician and producer whether you like it or not.
It’s very disrespectful to not recognise his print on the album.
But then it’s not too much of a surprise as we saw more interviews of usher and Mary j blige than Greg Philigane
This documentary was more about the impact that thriller had rather than the actual making of the album.
People are hyped because of the unseen footage. But this documentary was simply not well made.
Wait Mary J is in it? Is it new interview or old from the number ones special?

I'm annoyed with the BTS segment already and I haven't even watched it

I guess in a sense they could have put some archived footage of Quincy and the documentary but nothing new because I cannot really stomach that man. I didn't even know Nelson George was just as vile and nasty as Quincy. That saddens me since Nelson wrote such amazing stuff about Michael especially in the ultimate collection booklet.

Bruce and Rod could've also been archived into it

It doesn't really sound like something I would rush to see anyways cuz I'm so over thriller getting all this attention like it's the youngest child and The other albums afterwards starting with Dangerous are getting treated like the older siiblings

Wait Mary J is in it? Is it new interview or old from the number ones special?
Idk why they keep trying to associate her with MJ. They probably never met & definitely didn't work on any music. My thing is wtf is she going to say that she didn't already say on Number Ones.

Idk why they keep trying to associate her with MJ. They probably never met & definitely didn't work on any music. My thing is wtf is she going to say that she didn't already say on Number Ones.
"Mj is cool and I listen to him, isn't he so great, what an artist, love when he hee hee's. He really influenced me"

Never before seen HD footage playing in the background

Man you are based af

MJ_Thriller.png

John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Jackson estate, commented, “Michael opened and explored emotional depths and pushed the boundaries of sonic innovation on Thriller. In the process, he breached destructive barriers in the music industry and literally united the world through his music: there isn’t a place on this planet that hasn’t been exhilarated by the music of Michael Jackson. This documentary’s exploration of Michael’s process and impact is revelatory.”
Exactly.

Last edited:
She met him once backstage at the Soul Train awards

But I agree on what you are saying for sure.

Funny how some people probably consider Branca worse than Satan, even though Nelson George has said horrible things about MJ while John Branca never did and never has.

But they do be picking whoever, why not just bring Tommy Motolla in to talk next?

Funny how some people probably consider Branca worse than Satan, even though Nelson George has said horrible things about MJ while John Branca never did and never has.

But they do be picking whoever, why not just bring Tommy Motolla in to talk next?
Yeah poor Branca! All he did was work with Sony behind Michael's back, possibly conspired to have him murdered, faked his will, sold the ATV catalogue, do everything possible to go against Michael's wishes, put fake songs on an official Michael album and repeatedly disrespect the fans by saying we are wrong if we don't agree with him and the estate. But hey, poor him.

Yeah poor Branca! All he did was work with Sony behind Michael's back, possibly conspired to have him murdered, faked his will, sold the ATV catalogue, do everything possible to go against Michael's wishes, put fake songs on an official Michael album and repeatedly disrespect the fans by saying we are wrong if we don't agree with him and the estate. But hey, poor him.
Seez there's that vitriol I'm talking about. Like some of y'all, can't even go five seconds without hating the guy like a war criminal.

Branca has always talked nice about Michael, never had a bad word to say, like, ever, and that's facts. He's not creative and he's certainly not a genius but he's respectful verbally. And if you find anything different, I'll take it back. But I doubt it, so stay mad.

And everything else is either fan conjecture, overblown fake news, or hear say. But again I say, stay mad.

Last edited:
Back